Dalton's Hull Build

well it depends who you ask and what u do. a 144 pump has supported a 1000cc engine. is it ideal i would say no.... i would build to fit as big as you can. that way you are never limitted

I guess that and prop size. I've had a bunch of people tell me go with a big hub then had a bunch say big hubs are a waste if time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all preference. i have mine and we will see how it turns out. back on track, Dalton i would play with props and intake greats before jumping to a 155 since its going to be so hard to fit

There should be no way you would overpower a stock pump with a 760 and a pipe unless you have some sort of issue with the seal, stator or prop. I would figure out where the problem is first before swapping in a lager pump.
What about a stock pump with a chewed up stock impeller? That's what I'm running right now. I did double check the seals on everything when I was doing the 760 swap but I guess it's worth triple checking. Where I'm at is I have a 155 pump and trim with an impeller that I know worked ok with this engine and I'd rather not spend the cash on a new impeller for the 144 pump that I'm ditching after this season anyway.

@air blair, from my research I've read of a number of people installing 155 pumps into 144 tunnels including Thrust trying it out in a 144 freak. What I gathered was that it worked, although created a bit too much suction to the water to be ideal and was obviously slightly limited. Is there a different reason you say you need a 155 tunnel?

@j0hnny Do you know specifically what will make the fitment difficult?

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
You could find an adequate solas prop or something for $100 to get you by for the rest of summer. Of course a chewed up stock prop isn't going to work.
If you buy a used prop now to run, you should be able to get your money back out of it.

motor vs pump size is so much less the problem than the fact that the intake for the pump is too small. the sheer size of the pump in a square nose will be a pain and jeff can help u with more of the specifics. a 760 is plenty for a 155, and if u think differently go ride a wb2 and report back. but everything needs to be balanced. you would be much bette off balancing the pump/intake and loading the pump more effectively. and if a 760 overpowered a 144 then a kawaski should suck horribly with an 800 on a 140. so size is far less important than balance and making it all work effectively towards your goal.

schicks

Karma Enforcer
so are the mounting points of a 155 pump wider than a 144? how much wider?

what about fore/aft direction?...is that the same distance as a 144?
what is the limiting factor of putting a 155 in a SJ? ...other than the intake scoop area size being smaller...does the 155 have enough room to sit where the 144 did width wise?

so are the mounting points of a 155 pump wider than a 144? how much wider?

what about fore/aft direction?...is that the same distance as a 144?
what is the limiting factor of putting a 155 in a SJ? ...other than the intake scoop area size being smaller...does the 155 have enough room to sit where the 144 did width wise?

The mounting points should be exactly the same. From what I've read it should bolt right in but the top and bottom of the pump may need to be clearanced to fit inside the pump cavity and above of the rideplate.

@j0hnny right, my 760 and the 155 pump are out of the same ski, a WB2. I have no doubt about the engine's ability to effectively use the pump.

@Schmidty721 and @yamanube that's not a bad option I'll look into it.

um the wb2 there is something about the bearings and midshaft that are different. @air blair and i were just discussing this on monday. and then the pump shoe for the 155 is suppose to require a lot more moification than some people think it should to make it fit properly for the conversion one. the biggest issue that i ave is the pickup volume..... if u can't pull enough water, you can't build enough pressure, and pressure is the thing we need.

air blair

you are the reason
Tunnels and pumps go together. As far as fitment goes it bolts up the same but steering changes. Shafts are different. Ive heard oem pumps aren't worth the trouble to fit in a hull but to each is own

air blair

you are the reason
So have any of you actually put a 155 into a 144?
It hard or impossible to get a rideplate to protect the pump or plane out properly as it hits. Hard to get pump bolts in and whatnot. Ive put a 144 setback skat running a xs1000 in a squarnose pump tunnel to discover the tunnnel robs even a 144 its true potential. I just wanted to clarify why pumps and tunnels need a clean handshake

I mean I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. I've been in a tool room for 9 years now. When I went to school they beat that terminology into are heads. I just don't get how everyone started using that term for that kind of job. But any ways back to the original question about the pump. I am curious my self on this. I've been contemplating building my own hull but curious cause I don't want to add a pump I'm going to max out.

They call it blue printing a pump because you remove the casting irregularities and imperfections from when it was first created at the factory.

We weren't going to do anything public for awhile but since you asked...
High Quality scan.png
This is a 3D scan of the bottom deck plug sans bond rails. No media of the top deck for now but you can see where we're going with the hull in general.

So are you planning on doing a couple of production pieces? And how much are you looking to get out of them if you are?

Top Bottom