deep water side start

when ever i try this about 75% of the time the engine really bogs down just about dragging me along until i have to stop get on properly etc .its not lent over that far . is this normal a friend who used to have one said hes did a similar thing . anyone else had this problem

ger87410

How did I get here?
Whenever I start my ski in the water, I always get my upper body in the foot tray and start it and she always starts up in less then a second.

I'd recommend doing this to eliminate the possibility of water getting sloshed into your cylinder. It's not normal, no.

Please post the year/make/model of ski.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Since he posted this in the Waveblaster section, I'm assuming it's a Waveblaster.

:biggrin:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
its in the blaster forum.

If its a stock 61x then yeah sounds about right. put a lower pitch prop or a pipe on it and it will be much snappier at side mounting.

also how heavy are you? I am about 175 and it would take a a lot to get the stocker going to side mount. Now that I have a couple bolt ons its a split to get it up and going.

the way i usually side mount:

swim up to ski, turn bars opposite the direction of the side I am on
FULL throttle.
Hang on until the ski gets up on plane and it sort of slides underneath you.

Sometimes i have to get a knee to the back of the tray area, get moving a bit then stand up/sit on the ski.

hope that helps.

this vid has some side mounts in it for reference. 53 seconds, 1:04 first person, 2:57, 3:56
[video=vimeo;7692141]http://vimeo.com/7692141[/video]

Last edited:

ger87410

How did I get here?
Since he posted this in the Waveblaster section, I'm assuming it's a Waveblaster.

:biggrin:

Good point.

I've no experience with a blaster at all. All my experience comes from an XP, SJ, and 550. I've seen peeps *try* to get on a blaster while in the water. That was funny to watch.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Back in the day, I was able to side-board my XP DI just fine.
I was never able to do it with a stock Blaster.
I have very limited time on a piped Blaster, so I don't know.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Back in the day, I was able to side-board my XP DI just fine.
I was never able to do it with a stock Blaster.
I have very limited time on a piped Blaster, so I don't know.

If your shoulders can handle the abuse and you are in decent shape its not hard on a stocker.

Like most other things with jet skiing-power/hookup makes it much easier.

thanks yes its a b1 stock engine but twin carb conversion ss prop and shredmaster plate starts ok i usually get my arm over the seat so its in my arm pit start up gas it til its on the plane jump on easy when the power comes but most of the time i bogg just dragging me at about 5mph . im about 185 lb in pretty good shape so i can pull myself on ok

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
sounds like youve got it about right. With a stock motor i had to just pin it and hold it wide open until i was on the top of the ski instead of the side then I could let off a bit.

Wider bars really helped me out. I'm not sure why but they did.

got a pipe and a few bits to go on. i know the ht leads need changing had to cut them back to get it to run when i got it. so these with a good tune up from my builder should get it sorted i hope. want to use it in surf so quick start would be a bonus !!!

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
I'm your size and learned to do it on a stock ski. One thing is for sure, regardless of engine you need to have the carbs dialed to get the needed bog free low end brap. I am thinking you may need some work in that department considering you aren't running the oem carbs.

thanks yes its a b1 stock engine but twin carb conversion ss prop and shredmaster plate starts ok i usually get my arm over the seat so its in my arm pit start up gas it til its on the plane jump on easy when the power comes but most of the time i bogg just dragging me at about 5mph . im about 185 lb in pretty good shape so i can pull myself on ok

Do a search on Utube It shows several mounts
But if the seat is in your armpit I think you really need to pull the ski over farther on its side so your not climbing onto it all by yourself , make sure the pump hooks up , and pin the throttle . the ski should force itself under you when its on its side and you are turning the opposite direction of the side your on

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm your size and learned to do it on a stock ski. One thing is for sure, regardless of engine you need to have the carbs dialed to get the needed bog free low end brap. I am thinking you may need some work in that department considering you aren't running the oem carbs.
i bought it like this .reckon the carbs need setting up. once i chop the mach pipe and get it fitted i will get it set up properly by a pro . the reason i climb on so much is to give the engine an easier time ,as long as the engine pulls side start is no problem but if im being chased by a 6ft breaker :bigeyes:it needs to work first time

ok had the engine out. its got duel 44 carbs that are full of crap and the needle and seats are finished .also popped crank seal, reckon thats got something to do with it bogging down:doh: can't belive it was actually running . thats all sorted now just need to figure out how to fit my mach pipe then i think side starts will be a bit easier

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
I'm 220, and could side-board a stock blaster, but it was a trick. Once I added more power, it got a lot better. Best advice I can give is make sure the thing can hit right off the bottom (carb tuning) and then make sure you punch that throttle to side mount. No easing into it.

Once in a while, it would bog after some water ingestion.

I just took my new B1 out for it's first run since I bought it. I must say it was way different than anything I've ridden before.

I tried to side mount, but was unable to. The pump kept coming out of the water when I had it leaned over. It's far from stock and has plenty of bottom end. I'm 175 lbs.

I was able to get on from the back, but that will definitely not work in the surf, which is where I plan on riding most.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
You'll get it. It's just a bit of technique to perfect. Try to keep it as upright as possible when you hit the gas.

Thanks for the vid. I wonder if my shortness has anything to do with it? I'm only 5' 6".

Still gonna give it a try next week.

im 5' 8''.

i lean it over to put my foot on the middle of the back deck turn the opposite direction and grab a handfull. as it gets on the plane i can pull myself up and be standing.

Top Bottom