DIY Total loss or MSD TL upgrade box 270USD?

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
For those of you with the New FB Zeel group. ( yes I joined to, but just to monitor)
Please know, FB is loaded with poor advise and practices. Please do not share those poor practices here on the X.
Only bring known Credible info back to this thread. To date, this thread is very credible! Please keep it that way so future X users, continue to have a safe source of information.

Thank you, Paul

ive finally gotten all of the parts gathered to swap to the zeel setup. picked up a clean used 760 ebox, flywheel and cover with everything but the solenoid. i bought a 01T cdi from a friend. got the flywheel machined and 3rd lump removed. this cdi did not have the factory plug but had oem bullet connectors so i cut the oem plug off and just used bullet connectors. dialed in a curve i liked, wired everything up and no spark. i verified 12vdc going into the cdi unit. i did make an additional splitter so i could connect to the rectifier, cdi and start switch so everything is hooked up. upon reading through this thread i did read that its possible if the rectifier is bad, it can cause a no spark condition. disconnected it, still no spark. i did take the ebox back out and apart to double check wiring. everything appears to be hooked up properly. no loose grounds. also tried to disconnect stop circuit as well. still no spark. to verify the cdi and coil are good, i connected the cdi to the programmer and performed spark test. had good spark while doing the test. so ive started checking the pulser coil. testing pulser coil resistance between w/b and w/r netted 485 ohms- spec is 445-544 ohms so its within spec. ive also removed the flywheel cover to check all components again. any ideas??

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Hit the test button in side the software with it all hooked up. this will let you know if its the pickup. If the ignition sparks you have an issue with the pickup.
Damn just read that you did the spark test. sorry its early in the morning here

Last edited:
I had the same when I first installed mine. Did the same test you did and was able to get spark when I hit the "test" button in the software. That lead me to the pickup just like wax said. I found the wiring for the pickup had a small short in it. I replaced the wiring to the pick up from the ebox and bam, I got spark when turning over.

Do you have stop switch mode set to "low level stop"?

I'm not 100% certain but I think the default for the units that don't ship with the Yamaha plug is the opposite of what you need on a Yamaha, and if you have that set wrong and unplug the stop switch it still won't spark.

I had the same when I first installed mine. Did the same test you did and was able to get spark when I hit the "test" button in the software. That lead me to the pickup just like wax said. I found the wiring for the pickup had a small short in it. I replaced the wiring to the pick up from the ebox and bam, I got spark when turning over.
i did some searching on testing the oem parts on the gp760. found the resistance values for the pulser coil. it tested within resistance spec. oem values -445-544 ohms @68 degrees. mine tested 498-510 ohms. i have a 8 pin deutch connector going from the cover to the ebox just to ease engine removal. i tested at the deutch connector and at the connection going into the cdi. its possible theres a short in the wiring indeed. ive removed the flywheel cover to look for that but havent found anything yet. i would think doing the resistence check on the pick up coil would verify if theres a short or not but i could be wrong. also checked the ground wire to make sure its not open anywhere.

@Storbeck- yes its at low level stop currently. i can definitely try switching it and see if it does anything.

the guy i bought the zeel from recommended to put the flywheel cover back on, hook up to the zeel and try doing the "monitor" then turn the engine over and see if theres an input signal coming in.

so i put the flywheel cover back on and reconnected the laptop to the zeel. performed spark test again. had good spark. checked cranking spark test. still no spark. to eliminate any possibilities i have disconnected the stop circuit and wire from the zeel as well as the complete charging circuit just to eliminate the possibility. i also tried the monitor. it registered up to 390 rpms and 18 degrees of advance. which my curve is set to 18 degrees at 1000rpms. so best i can tell, im getting a signal from the pickup to the zeel according to the monitor. i also tried both low level stop and high level stop with no difference. im also using the +and- trigger signal, 2 pulses per rev, 30s delay compensation, 56* static angle

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
OK this one is confusing. It sounds like you are getting a signal and you are getting an output when you hit the test mode. Im thinking that there is a fault internal. I really cant see what else may cause the issue

stacher

Site Supporter
yeah thats kind of what im thinking. i just emailed borut. ill see what he has to say
Verify the color coded wires are correct to what’s indicated on the instructions. Another rider I know said borut had used a different color for a few wires because he ran out of the correct colored wire. However I was also having some spark issues a while ago. Winded up being the glass fuse not having a good connection inside the fuse holder. I started using the metri pack mini and I’ve haven’t had an issue since

Yeah I tried swapping the two pickup wires around just to try it. The fact that it had spark during the spark test proved the cdi had power and the coil worked. The monitor test proved the pickup coil is working. With that said I think its wired properly. And I've also triple checked my wiring connections haha. I've come to the conclusion I think the zeel might be bad. I'll wait to hear back from borut

Spoke with Borut. Sending him my zeel with no spark in cranking back to him for further diagnosis. Question. Will the stock 760 cdi work with with the third hump removed on the flywheel? I've read its supposed to retard timing on the rear cylinder. Was gonna run the stock cdi if possible until I get my zeel back cause I dont want to swap back to 62t electronics temporarily.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Spoke with Borut. Sending him my zeel with no spark in cranking back to him for further diagnosis. Question. Will the stock 760 cdi work with with the third hump removed on the flywheel? I've read its supposed to retard timing on the rear cylinder. Was gonna run the stock cdi if possible until I get my zeel back cause I dont want to swap back to 62t electronics temporarily.
OCD tested and posted this somewhere. I want to say it was not great.

Top Bottom