Other East coasters

Just got power back yesterday here at my job out in Eastern Suffolk... We didn't get hit as bad - winds topped out at 80mph, and we are 10 mi from the ocean. However, my parents house was 6" from being flooded - we could hear the water gurgling under the house. The winds were shaking the house, at which time I told everyone to get the f out of there. I left my truck, my CJ7 (with 25k original miles on it), GPR, and SJ there, along with a 7000w diesel generator we borrowed from the neighbor.
Needless to say, when I got home, my housemates said I looked like I'd seen a ghost.. I explained the situation to them.. And, they jumped up and went down there to salvage whatever we could. We pushed the CJ across the street to 1' higher of elevation, parked my truck there, lifted the SJ into a 4' space between same neighbors house and shed, and tied my GPR to a small tree. Also pushed my mothers RIB to the same place.
Then, my roomies said it's time to gtfo of there.. As we were leaving, and wading across the 4' of rushing water at the end of the block (the bay met the small protected harbor behind our peninsula of a road), I bumped into my cousin and his friend.. I told them what was going on, and his friend defiantly said, "F this, the generator is still good right? Your truck is still good - but you might lose both of them.. Let's take a shot at driving it across". I was really against the idea, but my cousin has had OBS Chevys for ages, and knows them very well. The intake being above the right wheel, I figured why not.
My roomies bailed, and this guy Brett, whom I barely know, jumps out of the truck and starts walking down the street - that has no less than 1.5' of water the whole way down. We took this small sailboat of ours (a bathtub boat as we call it), and walk it into the garage, lift the 350+lb generator into it, and walk it to my truck. Heavy lifting with 80mph winds at your back is quite interesting, adrenaline kicks in and you suddenly become he-man. We got the generator into my truck, and he says, let's take the ski on the trailer (GPR). We tie it down to the trailer so it doesn't float off as we're fording the river (see Oregon Trail), and head on our way.
This guy climbs up and sits on my window, spotting the whole way out, "Faster, slower, left, right, straight" the whole way down... Needless to say, we made it through, and have some crazy ass stories, and pictures/videos after the whole ordeal. It is such an eerie feeling looking in the rear view window to see your waverunner floating, and rocking back and forth as you drive... And all I thought all night long was, "Man, I can't believe I didn't take the SJ, what the hell was I thinking..." Bruceski built my sj as I'm not quite the master builder I hope to be one day, and the ski rips, and is great to me. To my defense, the SJ is on a beach cart, and the GPR was on the trailer.
Here is my truck mid-pass, as photographed by my cousin's potatophone:

285733_10151272745626276_1798819167_n.jpg427885_10151272757461276_1736088378_n.jpg557602_10151272757996276_776205044_n.jpg

Here is the video from my parents deck:
http://youtu.be/ALjiqFd-LVQ

We were extremely lucky... So very, extremely lucky..

Last edited:
Yeah... Bruce if there's anything I can help with let me know man... I have a steam cleaner, a trash pump, that generator, and creative ways of getting claims paid... Also! If you/your parents want to borrow the box truck, or need some muscle.. Hit me up buddy.. You did right by me, it's the least I could offer..

Last edited:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
thanks bro!!

I think they are good for now. I'm heading over there tomorrow to cut down a small tree that fell over, pick up some stone for the front of the house that was being worked on before the flood hit, and try to get my dads chainsaw running again. I would've done it the other day, but I didn't even realize that the water in the garage was well over the workbench the saw was sitting on top of.

You should buy a few cans of Fluid Film to spray all over under your vehicles after driving through that saltwater. That can't be good for anything. Ick. I spray the entire underbody of my truck with it a couple times a year and it's kept my truck pretty much rust free from the road salt.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
GOT POWER BACK AT 5pm TODAY AFTER 10 DAYS WITHOUT!!!!

Then the new :):):):)ING SNOW storm just knocked it out again after less then 2.5hours....LMAO!

Last edited:
Damn that sucks with the power. We are still with out from the storm. Guess they have to pull meters from the houses with damaged electrical before they restore power on our street. Sucks. Supposed to be Saturday. Lucky my shop has power so I can mess around there. Public library has nice wifi I down load movies from and watch them at night. Being resourceful. Lol

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
That sucks dude. Mine flickered a bunch tonight. But it's still hanging in there for now.

Tomorrow I have to change all the electrical outlets in my parents house and wait for an inspector from the power company to give their house the ok to accept power. Everyone living in a waterfront/coastal area around here has to do the same before they will turn anything back on. Earliest estimated date is thanksgiving for them.

I heard that they tried to turn some of these areas on in the middle of last week and it didn't work out so well. Electrical fires and whatnot. Now they have given up until all houses are inspected.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Ya I think they will get the power back on in a day or two being the crews are still here working on it. Not too worried about power anyway. Generator living was not too bad. But I got horrible new today. The boiler in my condo building was destroyed by flood water. That provides me hot water AND hot water base board heat! +2week lead time on new boiler and possibly a week after that. I dont know how the hell I am going to live off the Mr Buddy propane heater for 3weeks. I am looking at around $80 in propane a week if it doesnt warm up. Might try and find one of those oil filled electric radiator heaters. Also being that I am one of the 3 people in my complex that returned after the storm, with the freezing temps if pipes are going to be blowing up in other units. What a :):):):)ing disaster this is turning out to be. I ordered a 6gallon 110v electic hot water heater so I can atleast take a quick shower before work in the morning. Hopefully I can plumb that in this weekend.

ntrsspray

I do DUMB THINGS!!
Ya I think they will get the power back on in a day or two being the crews are still here working on it. Not too worried about power anyway. Generator living was not too bad. But I got horrible new today. The boiler in my condo building was destroyed by flood water. That provides me hot water AND hot water base board heat! +2week lead time on new boiler and possibly a week after that. I dont know how the hell I am going to live off the Mr Buddy propane heater for 3weeks. I am looking at around $80 in propane a week if it doesnt warm up. Might try and find one of those oil filled electric radiator heaters. Also being that I am one of the 3 people in my complex that returned after the storm, with the freezing temps if pipes are going to be blowing up in other units. What a :):):):)ing disaster this is turning out to be. I ordered a 6gallon 110v electic hot water heater so I can atleast take a quick shower before work in the morning. Hopefully I can plumb that in this weekend.

Hey Shawn. Total bummer. On the bright side your room is available and it's going to be a decent weekend. Come down. I have heat, electricity, running water, cable and Internet lol.

Stripers are running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
wow. I guess that proves you have to provide for yourself. I will be doing more in the future to make sure I'm disaster ready.

Relying on the government is like using an expired condom and hoping it works.

Yup for sure my parents are lifting the house. I'm going to be on the look out for a nice diesel generator, maybe military surplus which I used to have two when I lived in ca. I want it hooked into the main breaker and when power goes just flip a switch and your whole house runs. None of this extension cord electrical nightmare I got going on now. Also want a gun for sure after all the people looting. Going to make my bronco a end of the world vehicle if it ever runs again. This is how the Trans looks after being under water. And towed to my shop. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352498654.420710.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1352498706.982488.jpg

Top Bottom