First time build - FX-1

Aytee, i dont know if you have gathered this yet but I'm not the most patient person, nor am I the calm type lol. My neighbors across the street called their kids in early tonight. Funny, it was right after i messed up my first piece of turf. Maybe i worry them???

I understand how frustrating this stuff can be. I've found that I get the most frustrated and angry when I am up against a self imposed deadline. Sometimes you just have to step back and laugh it off. I found that drinking while doing composites takes the fun level up several notches as well. It's almost relaxing. Just remember it will be all worth it when you get it on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup biggest thing is to take your time. I was hoping to have my turf done last week...Still not finished haha but it looks pretty good and ive only had to reglue 2 small spots. Big thing is to use heat. U can make turf go almost anywhere once its warm.

I think i know the answer to this question and i dont think ill like it but i thought i should ask. Do i have to remove all of this glue from last night? Since its hard can i just scuff it up and put new glue on top or does the surface need to be totally free of it....

Looks much better. I wish I would have made the diamonds go the other direction on that back piece or at least tried to line them up better with the other pattern but oh well. It still looks better than the way it was. I'm going to just go with it

image.jpg

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
It still looks better than the way it was. I'm going to just go with it

giphy.gif

Aytee, i dont know if you have gathered this yet but I'm not the most patient person, nor am I the calm type lol. My neighbors across the street called their kids in early tonight. Funny, it was right after i messed up my first piece of turf. Maybe i worry them???

Haha, this is exactly why my wife banned me from ever doing turf again after my SN build... And I just ordered turf for my new build project.

Looks much better. I wish I would have made the diamonds go the other direction on that back piece or at least tried to line them up better with the other pattern but oh well. It still looks better than the way it was. I'm going to just go with it

View attachment 277755

Ever notice that the back piece is never included in a pre-cut kit? That piece is so visible and tough to line up so it looks decent. Looks good for 2 colored diamond

ok so 26mm padding is way overkill and is only causing me issues. One issue is that i may have drilled my holes for the adjustable footholds too low. I think my max adjustment may compensate for that so im not super worried about that at this moment. I'll throw them in and measure to be safe once i figure out my other issue.

My biggest concern is what to do on the back of the tray. If I use padding all the way to the edge of the tray then my stern eye is going to be way too short. I can compress this stuff but only so far. With turf on top i dont know if i will be able to compress it enough. If i cut the foam at an angle to taper it down near the back of the tray then i will create a ramp for my foot to slide off of. I dont want that part of the tray to slope downwards at all. Im worried that if i shave the underpad down to relieve just the 1" section or so around the eye my turf wont make the contour correctly and will have massive air bubbles around it or will have to cut slits to get it to lay down properly. What do you guys think i should do? Should i just suck it up and order some thinner underpad.

image.jpg

Last edited:
i just bought that one and also with a longer eye the ski-keeper strap i spent a month hunting down wouldnt fit.

edit: even at the highest adjustment and without turf on top i can barely get my toes in the holds with shoes on... I could sand and shape the underpad to have a recess where my foot would be but it doesnt seem worth the work given that i would also need to shape the back to deal with the eye issue. Just ordered 9mm underpad. Should be here thursday. if i get bored and impatient waiting on shipping this week I'll shape the 26mm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom