Flat Water Barrel Roll

i just dont get the part about looking over your right shoulder. how can you look over your right shoulder, when youre leaned over the left side of your boat??

immagine your leaned over the ski flat not left or right and your head is laying one the pole to the right
now take tat motion and apply it to the lean and roll

FlyinRyan324

High on Helium
i just dont get the part about looking over your right shoulder. how can you look over your right shoulder, when youre leaned over the left side of your boat??

The biggest thing that looking over your right shoulder does is actually makes you spin properly instead of just doing a bronco 180. As soon as I started looking over my right shoulder I started to actually spin a barrel roll. If you have your head turned to the left and down, you will do a nose stab. If you have it turned to the right and up you sill spin a barrel roll. Thats my experience so far. Also, it is key to lean to the left side of your boat and STAY LOW.

The biggest thing that looking over your right shoulder does is actually makes you spin properly instead of just doing a bronco 180. As soon as I started looking over my right shoulder I started to actually spin a barrel roll. If you have your head turned to the left and down, you will do a nose stab. If you have it turned to the right and up you sill spin a barrel roll. Thats my experience so far. Also, it is key to lean to the left side of your boat and STAY LOW.

That's what made me wonder as well. Thanks for all the clarification. Now I just need to get my set up wakes to work better. The wakes are great when I make them by turning right, but much smaller/choppier when I turn to the left. I feel more comfy trying the roll to the left, however.

Setup wakes are a big part.. thing happen a lot quicker than you'd expect so you do have to be on the ball and ready to go for it.. A couple of tips from Derrick K at the Ski Clinic that helped me
1) install a quicksteer like the Blowsion twister nozzle to give you ultimate quick throw, it makes the ski want to turn upside down real quick.
2) when you approach the setup wake ride a little to the left then jump into the wake pre-trough with to the right to get full ride down then up the wake and to get the water buoancy to push you up and out of the water
3) when riding up the wake crank the bars to the left hard, pin the throttle, jump forward and crank yourself to the left (try to bend yourself into a side ways U shape) keep the head looking to the right to spot your landing.. push down on the bars to the left and pull up on the right side to speed up the rotation. try to keep as forward as possible on the ski..
4) in the air try to suck your legs to your chest and stick your head on the front of the chin pad.. spot your landing and try and ride it out.. your setup wake amplitude will determine how much time and speed you need to get all the rotation..
5) a little bit of power doesnt hurt.. get a pipe!

The first pic was real close to a P2P but the second I didnt tuck and my face did all the work in landing the ski

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

lvfreestyle

I Know Things
Too much prehop can hurt you also.Big part of flatwater rolls are hitting the setup wake perfect.anytime i go out on a new boat or someone elses ill just prejump and hit my setup wake time and time again till i feel i can do it with my eyes closed and not miss it.on you pre jump you wanna land on the intake grate to get the pump hooked up and the nose to land slightly up and right infront of your setup wake to get the takeoff.when i prejump as soon as i land im that close to the setup wake that i turn the bars right away and wide open

I do the same thing...if the ski you are riding has enough power you don't need to hop at all, you can just quickly gun it and chop the throttle right before the wake letting the ski sink, then gun it and roll from there. This and the "hop" clears out the pipe, keeps your rpms higher than you think, and sets you up to jump. Also I aim for the moon on every trick and settle for reality instead of just timidly trying to just barely get around.

Attachments

• Barrel Roll 3.jpg
    Barrel Roll 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 371
  • br.JPG
    br.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 348
  • JS 2.jpg
    JS 2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 333
  • JS 8.jpg
    JS 8.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 354
  • One Hand BRL.jpg
    One Hand BRL.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 342
i cant wait to try when i have my motor back together. is it a bad idea without footholds? i have some comin in the mail but i wanna ride before i put them in.

Brad

lvfreestyle

I Know Things
i cant wait to try when i have my motor back together. is it a bad idea without footholds? i have some comin in the mail but i wanna ride before i put them in.

Brad

You can glue some lifters on the tray sides for your feet to fit under. should keep you from separating from ski. Used to use these before bindings were invented, think first Rick Roy video shows them

lvfreestyle

I Know Things
Setup wakes are a big part.. thing happen a lot quicker than you'd expect so you do have to be on the ball and ready to go for it.. A couple of tips from Derrick K at the Ski Clinic that helped me
1) install a quicksteer like the Blowsion twister nozzle to give you ultimate quick throw, it makes the ski want to turn upside down real quick.
2) when you approach the setup wake ride a little to the left then jump into the wake pre-trough with to the right to get full ride down then up the wake and to get the water buoancy to push you up and out of the water
3) when riding up the wake crank the bars to the left hard, pin the throttle, jump forward and crank yourself to the left (try to bend yourself into a side ways U shape) keep the head looking to the right to spot your landing.. push down on the bars to the left and pull up on the right side to speed up the rotation. try to keep as forward as possible on the ski..
4) in the air try to suck your legs to your chest and stick your head on the front of the chin pad.. spot your landing and try and ride it out.. your setup wake amplitude will determine how much time and speed you need to get all the rotation..
5) a little bit of power doesnt hurt.. get a pipe!

The first pic was real close to a P2P but the second I didnt tuck and my face did all the work in landing the ski
Let the engine do more of the work, You are trying to pull the ski around, can tell from your pics.

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Guys, this has been whippen my azz for 3 dam years now and I am sick and tired of defeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to sound redundant, but I NEED to be sure I got this right-

I am going in a straight line
pull the trim lever and make a large 1/2 circle
on exit of 1/2 circle keep trim up for approx 20'
haul azz straight for another 50'
u turn back to my wake
just b4 wake slight jog right
crank bars left while jumping up
rolling to the left and stay tucked
look over right shoulder???????????

CoreyLKN

LKN Freestyle Militia
Gil you got any video of you rolling or well trying to roll? :noevil: It would probably help so we can see what your doing wrong or what your missing.

Just a suggestion...

tom21

havin fun
gil I too feel your pain, I am a flatwater retard. I have crappy half rolls all day long. and did about 3/4 in small surf. maybe this is our year???

what I don't understand from what is here is the hopping slightly to the left into the setup wake. are we heading straight for the center of the "U turn"? so bounce the ski left then turn all the way left and hammer it correct? so I'm alomost coming at the center of the uturn from the left after the hop and once turning left I'm riding up the face while turning and leaving it now heading as if I came at it straight on or from the right. :scratchchin:

Top Bottom