Super Jet Found an Superjet - Done!

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Snagged it for $200

Ya, I was going to keep it just as a backup/friend ski - therefor I want to keep the money away from this ski...... I have my own RN SJ to ride. Ill try putting some Yamalube down the cylinders over night. Fresh plugs, gas, carb rebuild/clean, and battery tomorrow.

Does anyone know where I can find some boots locally? The automotive store? I have an extra 701 SJ coil in a box.....

Last edited:

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Anyone know where I can find spark plug boots locally? Automotive store?

There is only like one jet ski shop within a 50 mile radius of me. The prices there are silly.

Lets try to get this baby runnin!

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
try an auto store. Not sure if they will have what you need though.

You can hold the wire on the top of the plug with some of the actual metal wire hanging out and pinch it on the top of the plug with a vice grip just to see if its actually getting spark as a test for today if you don't come up with a plug boot. Here is an example on a ski I parted out.

Last edited by a moderator:

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
slightly sketchy.....

I have a 2005 701 CDI with yamaha boots. I guess I could put that in there. Is there a difference? Will it affect anything? Can I attempt to start it with that flywheel gasket maker stuff? Or should I not even attempt it without a good flywheel gasket first?

I would pull the flywheel cover and see what it looks like inside. I can't see any harm in just running it briefly on a trailer without the gasket - it has clearly been in the water without the gasket so this wouldn't be any worse.

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Yeah, nice find! I'm always looking at CL here in CO and there hasn't been ANY deals all winter... but this one you found! I never even saw it, you must have snagged it quick.

Any decent cycle shop should have NGK boots in stock. Do what they say, oil it, fuel it and fire it up. Nothing to lose with that 650.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Yeah, nice find! I'm always looking at CL here in CO and there hasn't been ANY deals all winter... but this one you found! I never even saw it, you must have snagged it quick.

Any decent cycle shop should have NGK boots in stock. Do what they say, oil it, fuel it and fire it up. Nothing to lose with that 650.

Ya I watch CL pretty dang close. There has been nothing in awhile....

Found this and picked it up within 5 hours of it posted.

Got a boot, got new gas, rebuilt the fuel pump (from old mikuni kit I had laying around), got new plugs, got a freshly charged battery, tore the bilge out. About to hit the start!

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Well that was a let down, hit the start button and got nothing.

No nosie, no turn over nothing, the fuse in the ebox is good.

Where do I start now? Never had this issue before.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Open the ebox and jump the terminals on the solenoid. If it cranks you have bad connections somewhere or a bad solenoid.

My first step would be to clean the wires where they connect to the battery. Then pull the ebox and jump the solenoid. If that doesn't work I would pull the starter. This can be done with the stock exhaust in place. Pain in the ass, but it can be done.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Good news everybody, unplugged the wires right outside the ebox. Took a little wire and jumped the brown and red. She cranked over like a good ol normal superjet. I guess that means start/stop is out of line. Anything I can do/check to clean it up and try to get it to work?

The bad news is water came out of the exhaust.... wtf? While I was down there I noticed some of the pump is not hooked up. Is this the bilge line? Also it doesnt have the normal/strange 650 piece on the ride plate.

2012-03-24_15-10-17_898.jpg

2012-03-24_17-47-48_178.jpg

2012-03-24_18-20-36_755.jpg

2012-03-24_18-21-02_258.jpg

2012-03-24_18-21-10_410.jpg

One on the left is stock syphon bilge. Not sure is the one on the right for the vertical pisser whatever it is called.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Also when I was rebuilding the pump it didnt come apart like the manual. I put it together like it was, but idk if the previous owner did it incorrect. Can anyone comment?

Untitled.jpg

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Waiting for switch and somem gaskets.....

Meanwhile I decided to try and fix the hood. Sanded it down and took all the decals off. Kind of a pain in the rear. Used the Rustoleom appliance epoxy to spray the hood. Didnt turn out fantastic, the pait would splatter a bit when the can ran low. I will try to wetsand and run another coat later (the can says wait a week?)

2012-03-26_10-36-25_432.jpg

2012-03-26_14-06-54_15.jpg

Top Bottom