Frosty's '98 Freeride Superjet Rebuild

Rickster

Matakana Menace
Are you going to use foam to shape the top of the hood area?

If not, the aluminum duct tape (100 MPH Tape) works real well as a backing to run fiberglass over, and it pels off after the fiberglass is cured.

:trink26:

Frosty

New York Crew
Are you going to use foam to shape the top of the hood area?

If not, the aluminum duct tape (100 MPH Tape) works real well as a backing to run fiberglass over, and it pels off after the fiberglass is cured.

:trink26:

i was planning to use duct tape, but i kinda like the foam idea... it can be shaped. hmmmm.... i was gonna start it today, but wifey wants to do some stuff... so i will hit it tomorrow.

Moto360

Torrent Pumps
Frosty,
From fello NYer to another. Just wanted to say that the buils looks great. Man you must have tons of hours of sanding into that.
I couldn't tell, is the hood liner removed in the engine cover?
I will PM you and introduce myself.

Out
Moto360
2000 Superjet
1989 650sx
1988 650sx

Frosty

New York Crew
The ski is looking awesome. I wish I had the fiberglass and body work skills to cut my hood.

thanks. i practiced on a SN build i did two years ago, and was forced to learn from smashing my '01 into the sandbar plenty of times.

Frosty,
From fello NYer to another. Just wanted to say that the buils looks great. Man you must have tons of hours of sanding into that.

yeah, i think i have no less than 30 hours into sanding alone. The hood liner is removed, i will make a new one. Where is Phoenix, NY?

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Frosty,

Out
Moto360
2000 Superjet
1989 650sx
1988 650sx
you won't be able to pm until you have 5 posts.

Moto360

Torrent Pumps
Well I just typed a long PM and x-H20 would not let we send it. Says I have to have at lease 5 posts.
It is North of Syracuse. South of Oswego. On interstate 481.

Moto360
2000 superjet
1989 650sx
1988 650sx

G

Goose

nice job when i did mine i cut like a wedge out of it and left the top on and pulled the front down and fastned it then only had a little area to glass in but i think your finish will be nicer.That nose peice looks like it fits pretty nice.

Frosty

New York Crew
nice job when i did mine i cut like a wedge out of it and left the top on and pulled the front down and fastned it then only had a little area to glass in but i think your finish will be nicer.That nose peice looks like it fits pretty nice.

that's actually a good idea.

yeah, the nose piece fits good. = )

Frosty

New York Crew
got all the pump and ride plate inserts epoxied back in.

got the inside of the now cut lowered hood all glassed in. 1 layer of 8.5 oz biaxial and 1 layer of 12.5 oz biaxial. I will be using marine filler to fill the outside and sand into shape.

I used cardboard cut to shape and covered that with duct tape, as not to stick. I fastened the duct tape even with the hood so the newly layed glass reinforcement i just did will act as a foundation for the filler.

I may add one more layer of biaxial for added strength.

Attachments

• rn0056.jpg
    rn0056.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 210
  • rn0057.jpg
    rn0057.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 224
  • rn0058.jpg
    rn0058.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 186
  • rn0059.jpg
    rn0059.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 199

Frosty

New York Crew
Been a while since i did anything on this...

I finally got back to work on it... reinforced the sides of the tray area (gunwhales) and got all the through hull fittings epoxied in place. Also reinforced the hood seal area...

Going to fabricate my one way valve assembly and will be starting to cut the foam blocks this weekend. and Hopefully install my new WCF side sponsons as well.

I mocked up the tray area real quick just to map out the footholds etc... but it's all just sitting in there until I cut the foam and get it layed in...

Also, the lowered hood project... I will be making a liner for it this weekend as well, and while I am going a different route with an after market hood, I plan to finish lowering this hood for my nephew, who was hit at Daytona and busted up his hood.

Attachments

• rn0064.jpg
    rn0064.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 142
  • rn0065.jpg
    rn0065.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 168
  • rn0068.jpg
    rn0068.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Frosty

New York Crew
Cut that stupid fire tube thingy out of the hood. I hate those.

since it's going to my nephew i wanna make sure he can put a fire ext in there to be leagal... since he's only 15. Once he gets a little older he can do what he wants with it.

The one i have coming doesn't have one... :wink:

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Still gotta find a place for that rope though. The way I keep braking stuff I think we are going to need it this year. lol

G

Goose

are you gonna dump you scupper into the pump or straight out the back.its looking good

tell e to put the fire ext in the bulk head like i did im sure bob needs to tuch up his sj build skills (dont tell him i said it though)
has he got that pipe on yet?
j

Frosty

New York Crew
tell e to put the fire ext in the bulk head like i did im sure bob needs to tuch up his sj build skills (dont tell him i said it though)
has he got that pipe on yet?
j

haha... Bob'll kill me just for thinking about telling him to do that.

I'm thinking about it for this ski though.

got my one way all set up, and started messing around with trying to cut the foam... not too bad so far...

also got the template ready to make the hood liner for the home made lowered hood project.

Attachments

• SP_A0424.jpg
    SP_A0424.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 123
  • SP_A0423.jpg
    SP_A0423.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 114
  • SP_A0426.jpg
    SP_A0426.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 336
  • SP_A0417.jpg
    SP_A0417.jpg