Frosty's '98 Freeride Superjet Rebuild

Frosty

New York Crew
where are you getting the polystyrene foam from. and how are you going to put it in?

i actually got the poly foam from a local Tractor Supply Company. They come in 12"x12"x18" blocks that they use to stack utility trailers on. They stack the trailers like 4 high and use the blocks to keep them from setting right on each other, so it pretty strong stuff. I asked them and they gave them to me for nothing...

I cut the first block (seen in the the picture on the exhaust tube side) using a hack saw blade. Then used some sand paper to clean up the rough edge. I am going to try and find a better way to cut them though... I think they are cut using a hot knife of some sort to keep the edge clean.

Frosty

New York Crew
got one side of my WCF side sponson (tubbies) on today

Attachments

• rn0081.jpg
    rn0081.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 109
  • rn0082.jpg
    rn0082.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 87
  • rn0083.jpg
    rn0083.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 98

Frosty

New York Crew
NIcEEE pole
what color are ya painting the ski?

I was going to do a cool paint job, orange, black and white... but decided to go with just a white ski, black pole, and do some kick ass printed vinyl graphics... i have a vision in mind... and after seeing how sick Chad's came out I am totally going in that direction.

Frosty

New York Crew
Got news today:

I ordered a brand new FPP B-pipe from Riva on January 2nd, hoping that I would get it some time in March. Just got a shipped e-mail from Riva. She's on the way here as we speak.

Dave @ Impros just shipped my repitched solas impeller back to me today - they repitched it from a 14.5/18 to a 13/15 with a 3mm cut back.

Got some new fiber glass coth in today from US Composites today.

Got some paint for the inside of the hull today.

Got some marine filler for the lowered hood project today.

Going to be a busy weekend coming up!!!

Totally f'n stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :veryhappy::bananapowerslide::Banane09:

Frosty

New York Crew
Oh, and as for cutting the foam. I did some looking around for a hot knife to use, which is how they cut foam in industrial settings. They are stupid expensive even for a small one. So I tried something else. I still use the hack saw blade, which is messy, but if you use a heat gun on the cut sides it re-coagulates the surface of the foam to a nice clean edge, so you don't get any "beads" of foam coming off.

Frosty

New York Crew
Got the hood liner made today for the lowered hood project

got the other side of my WCF tubbies installed

got my tray reassembled and ready to put back on the ski

got the lower half of the exhaust side of the tray foamed. I used the poystyrene foam and wedged it in a tight as I could, then used a very little bit of two part expanding foam to fill in any of the gaps. nice and tight now

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...

Attachments

• rn0089.jpg
    rn0089.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 46
  • rn0087.jpg
    rn0087.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 42
  • rn0088.jpg
    rn0088.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 63
  • rn0085.jpg
    rn0085.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 161
  • rn0090.jpg
    rn0090.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 310

Frosty

New York Crew
here's a shot of the tray... as you may have seen in some earlier pics the tray was cut out in several pieces as my plans changed. originally i was just going to refoam it. however, i soon realized that all of the inserts for the pump and ride plate were all drilled out and in fact some one drilled through the pump inserts right through the top of the tray. You can see the holes in the 1st 3 pics.

Since i needed to replace all of the inserts i decided i would remove the rest of the tray area, and since i was going that far i might as well try to use kawaski style foam to reduce weight and decrease the odd of water absorption.

I re-assembled the tray outside of the ski so i can reinstall it back as on single piece. I used a single layer of 8oz on the top side to hold all the seams together. then i flipped it over after it cured and used two part epoxy glue to fill in the gaps. then after that cured i used a layer of 8oz to wrap the entire bottom ans sides of the tray. it should be good and strong now.

here are some before and after pics

Attachments

• rn0030.jpg
    rn0030.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 65
  • rn0031.jpg
    rn0031.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 56
  • rn0071.jpg
    rn0071.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 72
  • rn0086.jpg
    rn0086.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Frosty

New York Crew
Nice build, hows that orange hood doing? That tray work is time taking, but so worth it. Good luck.

I love that orange hood... in fact, i might paint this ski (top deck) that same color. I love it.

yeah, the tray has taken up nearly all of my time so far... as soon as I get my 3" monster scupper from Sergio I can finish cutting the the poly foam and finish the tray.

Frosty

New York Crew
The guy you bought the hood from just installed XFT's pump dump scupper in his new hull, and it's f**kin huge, you'll love it.

nice! yeah i have a blowsion one in my other ski and bought another blowsion that i was going use in this ski... but the previous owner cut the hole in the transom slightly off center, and i didn't like how that made the plumbing route... so, i decided to go with the larger XFT scupper which should allow me to move it over slightly and get it back where it belongs.

has he ridden the ski with that scupper installed yet? any trouble with leaking?

Top Bottom