Other Hitch Hauler Lets see everyone's Hitch Hauler pics and setups

CHRIS@EZ-SKI

Lions Among Sheep
Thank you ... quite a bit out from the truck .. but its a nice rack. Every inch that you push that kind of weight away from the reciever will multiply the force exponentially. I would definitely suggest a "stow-away" hitch tightener (amazon $21) they are amazing .

CHRIS@EZ-SKI

Lions Among Sheep
i think by adding the same sleeve with a nut welded on the bottom of the stinger tube the user could loosen it and switch sides for the bow eye mount. A simple 1/2" bolt to hold everything in place shoudl be plenty or maybe a couple recess holes drilled in the adjusting tube for the head of the bolt to sit into slightly.

With this if they didnt need it for a given trip it could be taken off all together rather then welding it on and having it be basically permanent. Just the addition of the small sq tube on the bottom would be a minimal cost so I would add it to every single one that way if someone in the future decides they want the bow stop they can purchase the subassembly from you for an additional cost.

I have a pretty wicked idea for an amazingly clean ,simple bow stop . I will be working on it soon . (Round tubing, swivel, heim joint.. stuff from my race car building past ...)

CHRIS@EZ-SKI

Lions Among Sheep
I think I might cut the stinger down a little and drill a new hole for the pin, these are made long In case you have a tire carrier.

Would be a good idea. And i totally get it having to be longer for jeeps with spare tires. (I make all of my carriers so that they keep the ski as close to the vehicle as possible, and i also make longer units for the guys with jeeps. )

Attachments

• 150318_0002.jpg
    150318_0002.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 128
Would be a good idea. And i totally get it having to be longer for jeeps with spare tires. (I make all of my carriers so that they keep the ski as close to the vehicle as possible, and i also make longer units for the guys with jeeps. )
yes it was a good idea when we had it 8 years ago.

We make them all long because just about anyone out there can cut it down if needed and drill a hole. Not many can lengthen. its also nice having it set back when backing in the water.

CHRIS@EZ-SKI

Lions Among Sheep

We make them all long because just about anyone out there can cut it down if needed and drill a hole. Not many can lengthen. its also nice having it set back when backing in the water.

first off I hope you didn't take my comment as being negative towards your rack. secondly yes I'm sure there are people out there with a chop saw or a bandsaw shorten the length of the stinger on your rack, however I do think it would be hard for the average guy in his garage to drill an 11/16 hole through .250 wall tubing (both sides),let alone get it lined up perfectly.
it looks like we have been building racks almost the same amount of time. I like your rack design except for usingtrex (composite decking) for bunks because then you must support the entire length with metal , unlike wood .
Again no disrespect meant . CHRIS

Its your attitude like this whenever any competitor product is mentioned that makes me NEVER want to buy your product. you did this on the other thread about a competitors design. Instead of respectfully boasting your product's features you tried to badmouth the competitions. Its rare that I post negativity like this on here. I know you are popular guy on here so this may be business suicide for me, but someone had to call out your immature behavior. This Chris guy has come on here hoping to do business just like you and has been completely respectful to everyone, even you when you have so condescendingly bad mouthed everything he has said. I'm glad he actually listens to potential customers' requests (unlike you) because maybe one day he will steal 90% of the hitch hauler market you so comfortably enjoyed until now. I don't mean to elevate the drama already on this thread but it had to be said by someone.

54271714.jpg

Last edited:

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
You can't deny the rad dudes design is bullet proof. Trex deck and a full welded rack is where it's at. Wood rack won't last like steel. Even carpeted you'll have to maintain/replace. They have the most copied design out because it's simple and it works.

Edit: The receiver pin hole is 5/8. 11/16 is a little big

kraqus

Site Supporter
i think by adding the same sleeve with a nut welded on the bottom of the stinger tube the user could loosen it and switch sides for the bow eye mount. A simple 1/2" bolt to hold everything in place shoudl be plenty or maybe a couple recess holes drilled in the adjusting tube for the head of the bolt to sit into slightly.

With this if they didnt need it for a given trip it could be taken off all together rather then welding it on and having it be basically permanent. Just the addition of the small sq tube on the bottom would be a minimal cost so I would add it to every single one that way if someone in the future decides they want the bow stop they can purchase the subassembly from you for an additional cost.

YES! Builders take note.

I have a pretty wicked idea for an amazingly clean ,simple bow stop . I will be working on it soon . (Round tubing, swivel, heim joint.. stuff from my race car building past ...)

Thanks Chris. Keep us posted on your prototype.

Benny

CHRIS@EZ-SKI

Lions Among Sheep
You can't deny the rad dudes design is bullet proof. Trex deck and a full welded rack is where it's at. Wood rack won't last like steel. Even carpeted you'll have to maintain/replace. They have the most copied design out because it's simple and it works.

Edit: The receiver pin hole is 5/8. 11/16 is a little big

I was hoping this site wouldn't come to this but i will always back up my practice with fact... this is in response to
your pin size comment.
In structural steel applications, the hole drilled has 1/16" larger diameter than the nominal bolt size. For example, a 3/4" bolt would be drilled 13/16." And the calculations of the connection strength figure a hole 1/8" larger than the nominal bolt diameter to include an additional 1/16" of damage that can happen in drilling and punching operations (AISC D3.2).

However, this practice is necessary mainly due to multiple bolt connections where alignment of all bolt holes would be impossible (due to fabrication tolerances) if each hole were drilled exactly the nominal diameter of the bolt used).

That said, diameter you drill the pin holes depends on the tolerance of the hole location... the more slop, the larger the hole needs to be to accommodate it. At a minimum, add 2 times your location tolerance to the diameter.

If you can locate AND DRILL the center within 1/64", then add 1/32" to 5/8". Or just drill it 11/16" and use the STANDARD THAT THE STEEL INDUSTRY DOES.

As for which carrier is Superior yada yada yada ... how do YOU define Superior? is it price , is it weight, is it quality of welds, ??? Ill break it down for ya and i am not attempting to look down apon ANYONES work ...

R*ddudes carrier is a nice piece except :
1. its way toooo long ( unless you have a jeep)
2. It has no triangulated braces (that i can see) for the bunk rails
3. its spray painted
4. It costs your first born kid to ship it ( most likely because of its weight and size)
5. Its not "designed " to have something towed behind it

VersaHaul carrier is a nice carrier except:
1. its just plain too big and bulky
2. It costs 2x as much as other carriers

EZ-SKI carrier is a nice piece except
1. It has conventional wood bunks with marine carpet

ALL OF THIS IS MY OPINION!!!! SO TAKE IT AT THAT ... straight out guys ... I build a VERY WELL BUILT, EXTREMELY SIMPLE CARRIER in support of this sport that we all adore so much. And I do it at a VERY FAIR price ... and then give a website discount on top of that. Can i use TREX for my bunks ? sure .. just dont see the immediate need, I ALWAYS accept customer input as well as special orders ( just finshed a VESPA carrier lol)

"We make them all long because just about anyone out there can cut it down if needed and drill a hole. Not many can lengthen. its also nice having it set back when backing in the water.Just saying its easier to cut then add" RAD DUDES
Again just my opinion , i would never expect a customer to have to modify his/her carrier that they had built for them . But obviously your customers are ok with that. I take the time to talk to each individual customer in case they would like something custom added i.e a license plate mount, or a atv flag mount ( dont know why but i had a gentleman that wanted one.. so he got one) I guess what im trying to say is .. there is plenty of business out there to not fight and argue over what is better.... who has more friends .. whos D**k is bigger etc.
P.S if you want TREX i can make them with TREX! lol Hell if you want i will make a 100% stainless steel carrier entirely TIG welded . ( is it practical ..no .. is it cool ... F*CK YA!!

Again Again .. thanks for the warm welcome to the site .... here is one with a bike carrier in use =)Bike carri.jpg

Well put and as I am sure you know every forum has individuals that will fight to the bitter end. I got your carrier last week. It looks great and more than likely i will be modifying it to use my 1 1/4" bike rack which is a great idea so thanks!

I also like yours because its not heavy at all. can easily throw it onto a hook on the wall or on a shelf. I could see a full frame one being about 20-30% heavier depending on the thickness of the steel.

Just for poops and giggles how much would you charge for a SS or aluminum one!?

CHRIS@EZ-SKI

Lions Among Sheep
Well put and as I am sure you know every forum has individuals that will fight to the bitter end. I got your carrier last week. It looks great and more than likely i will be modifying it to use my 1 1/4" bike rack which is a great idea so thanks!

I also like yours because its not heavy at all. can easily throw it onto a hook on the wall or on a shelf. I could see a full frame one being about 20-30% heavier depending on the thickness of the steel.

Just for poops and giggles how much would you charge for a SS or aluminum one!?[/QUOTE

Im glad you are enjoying the simplicity.... I will make up a quote for a SS unit... lol
also probably gonna make a single 5 gallon fuel container carrier that would slide into the V2 carrier with a pin. and then maybe an ice chest rack that slides in ... and then ..... and then ..... no and then !!! and theeeennn

TOO MUCH COFFEE!!!! back to welding ( its like meditation for me) :)

As for the full frame deal... again after years and years of use and abuse ... I see no need for a "full frame" .. do they box the bunks in on trailers .. nope ... BUT IF YOU ARE USING TREX ... YOU have to have full length metal supports because trex is NOT wood ........

Top Bottom