Super Jet Homemade Handle Pole Project

I need a pole for my 90 stock sn sj. For 3-4 hundred...stock part compatable...very very interested. 2 inches shorter than stock is what Im looking for for surf riding.

Ummmm check out my thread HERE...... Sounds like you have more capital and skills, more power to ya!
Might want to try .083 wall tube, .125 wall will be needlessly heavy methinks.

Last edited:
Very cool Erie! Nice to see someone else out there working the FEA on an amateur level for this specific purpose lol. Did you have any recommendations for loading tests for a handle pole? I see you did a torsion test, pole bend down and up, and a side load - anymore you can think of? I'm pretty happy with the current weight, but maybe 5.5lbs would be a nice number - either way it needs to pass some real world riding.

We have our material pretty well defined as of now - this is due to a deal the distributor has mainly, and the volume available. .075" wall X 2.5" OD tubing is adequate for our purposes.

Out of interest for other models we may be asking people for some dimensions on their skis, ones that we don't have easy access to at least.

We're looking for owners of the SN Superjet, and if there's any interest - the FX-1 as well. If we could get owners with STOCK handle pole and bracket that'd be great. most people that would want a new pole probably already have a stock one, but it just makes it easier for us to appeal to the widest market.

If you own one of these, and possibly other stuff besides the JS440/550 series (since I own one myself) - then PM me and you'll get a barrage of questions so I can be sure it will fit - you will need a decently accurate vernier caliber (.001"), ruler and tape measure for the dimensions just as an FYI, as well as a camera to upload pics.

The goal for the other designs is to keep most everything stock. Since I own a JS series right now I am working on making the steering inverted - so it is on top (like the SJ series) - without adding anything. This will help with using a SJ chinpad, which is the general goal for all of these poles - to use factory superjet chin pads.

I like this chinpad design for a few reasons: It's easy to distribute the forces with the wide spread of the bolt mounts, they're readily available on eBay used, you can get aftermarket models for them if you so desire... and they just look cool :) . Well really, just not having to design something else that already exists is a big motivator too.

Last edited:
Sorry, for some reason I thought I read .125 wall, .075 would be good. As for loading compression and tension forces are basically a non-issue given the materials and dimensions used. I thought twisting, side loading, over-extension, and bending when laying on the hood would have the highest chances of breaking something. The only way it could get worse is if you were to combine these forces into one analysis.

I really prefer the pole over turn-plate setup, removes the need for a chinpad all together at the slight expense of a higher CG and potential incompatibilities. Turnplate mounting would be slightly more challenging too.

I am pretty impressed with the pole and would possibly be down for one pending final price and some test results.

People will want to see an actual model first...renditions can make anything look good. In real life, it could be a whole different story.

I am pretty impressed with the pole and would possibly be down for one pending final price and some test results.

People will want to see an actual model first...renditions can make anything look good. In real life, it could be a whole different story.

Very much agreed Night rider. Not to sway the topic too much, but I have every intention of making it look exactly like the render. I have a side hobby - call it sophisticated pumpkin chunkin' if you may. Here's an example of how I like to keep it looking alike though:

Render:
JustFinishedRendersmall.jpg

Real life:
JustFinished.jpg

We're in the production stage of the first pole right now. Should have it done in the next week or so.

After that we will post some photos of it to give you guys a better "real world" example of what it will look like.

From this first pole we will be able to more accurately determine welding time needed per pole. We will also have our estimates in for water jetting the parts, and the material's cost estimated. With all this we can establish a price and post an ad in the for sale section.

If someone actually puts out a nice quality pole, and doesn't try sticking it to everyone...they will sell alot of them. There are many people out that would love a better than stock pole, but don't want to spend the coin for some of the bigger names, and don't want to settle for some of the crappy homemade ones that have been put out.

If someone actually puts out a nice quality pole, and doesn't try sticking it to everyone...they will sell alot of them. There are many people out that would love a better than stock pole, but don't want to spend the coin for some of the bigger names, and don't want to settle for some of the crappy homemade ones that have been put out.

Agreed...plus I have a sloppy SN pole that needs replaced as well as wanting a replacement for an OEM SXR pole!

Top Bottom