Lightweight hull manufacturers

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
I guess you kinda missed it.....he built Malones 05 WF boat that weighed 42lbs with hood. He is very familiar with making a boat work. When you guys see his work you will no longer question his abilitys. A few of the FL guys have already seen his work. No expence spared in his Materials!

As far as I know Bobby has no plans for making a race hull. His race ride plate is amazing though, the boat handles incredible. His plate weighs 2lb 2oz. My SJ protec plate is about 6" shorter and weighs 4lb 1oz.

Nope, didnt miss it just know that a one time build with Malone's COMP. hull doesn't make someone a FREESTYLE hull mfg.. (its a good start though) I don't doubt he has awesome skills with the materials but time testing and prototypes for everyday use freestyle hulls is what makes a good manufaturer of any of these type products. No one is good enough to build a cost effective, strong non issue hull and hood combo on there 1st try. Am I right here Waterfreak?
I am however behind him 100% and hope that in time this works out for all of us and Trinity. As someone else just said " he has the right frame of mind" and I believe he has the material skills from what you have already told us.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Light quality hulls for good prices...I like that.
not that I can afford it, but it'll make stock hulls cheaper.

Stu Carr

What fire extinguisher?
I read this somewhere, I don't remeber where.

When you choose a lightweight hull there are 3 main points:

Strength
Weight
Cost

You can have any 2 of those together. If you have an extremely light hull, that is very strong, its not going to be cheap

Likewise, A very light, low cost hull is not going to be strong.

The Japanese riders hulls at WF were GRP. Very light, A bit of gel coat and a quick squirt with a chopper gun. Just enough to hold it together for a competition. Production costs after development will be very low.

Sickerlings hull from lightweight.de are light, very strong and very expensive. To get light and strong you need to spend a lot on technology and materials.

Just another thought?
Stu

aof13

Sfl free since 3/28
i'd like to know what kind of materials were used in this 42 pound hull. Any Gelcoat? E glass, S Glass, Kevlar, Carbon, C/K weave, poly resin, epoxy resin, vinylester resin?

aof13

Sfl free since 3/28
Well, if someone is going to buy something, they'll probably want to know what its made out of. As for the bashing? I'd hardly say im bashing, just curious to know what hes using for materials. Nobody that buys an aftermarket hull that weighs "42" pounds, is gonna shell out between 5-8k without knowing what its made out of.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Well, if someone is going to buy something, they'll probably want to know what its made out of. As for the bashing? I'd hardly say im bashing, just curious to know what hes using for materials. Nobody that buys an aftermarket hull that weighs "42" pounds, is gonna shell out between 5-8k without knowing what its made out of.

Those people are probably going to call or pm or e-mail him directly about it too, instead of asking on a thread.

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
From the limited experience I have, you can get certain raw materials over there for about half price.

You might, but it might be crap, and you won't know until it's too late. I am in China right now, my company has a lot of suppliers over here. We allow some local suppliers to supply them, but we spec US materials for critical components. Been there, done that :banghead: The only advantage I see is labor, which adds up when you're making hundreds of thousands of parts a year. Not 10-20.

Also, someone in the US can purcahse materials from China if they really want to. I've never looked for fiberglass, but if they make it in China they will ship it to the US.

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
Go back to Trintiy's post! Thats straight from the horses mouth! Think :bs2: if you want, but that was recorded data...:bigeyes:

Ummm... he said the top and bottom halves out of the mold weighed 37 pounds, and the hood weighed 5. He didn't say the assembled hull and hood weighed 42 pounds, and he said it was a prototype. No mention of a WF hull or how long it lasted.

I have personally laid up a prepreg hull, with a full honeycomb core and only 3 layers of something like a 4.5 ounce glass plus reinforcement in key areas, and it will weigh around 50 pounds complete. I haven't weighed it yet, but I am taking into account paint, foam, adhesive, plumbing, engine mounts, the exhaust tube, fasteners, what assembled prepreg hulls from this same company weigh, the bulkhead, etc. There's less than 20 pounds of actual cloth in this hull, so using a different fabric will not make it much if any lighter. Have you ever seen 4.5 oz glass? Three layers of it is just over half a millimeter thick :bigeyes: Honeycomb is the lightest core material. Prepreg uses the least amount of resin. So how do you get 42 pounds WITH hood?

I am not even saying that my 50 pound hull will be strong, but you can't make it significantly lighter. Well, maybe if you left out the foam...

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
You might, but it might be crap, and you won't know until it's too late. I am in China right now, my company has a lot of suppliers over here. We allow some local suppliers to supply them, but we spec US materials for critical components. Been there, done that :banghead: The only advantage I see is labor, which adds up when you're making hundreds of thousands of parts a year. Not 10-20.

Also, someone in the US can purcahse materials from China if they really want to. I've never looked for fiberglass, but if they make it in China they will ship it to the US.

We tried Chinese coke for our furnace back in the late 90's, 15,000 tons of it was the minimum we could order. It was junk, made our furnace run like crap, had burlap bags in it which is apparently how they load the barge, and it took us like 4 years to get rid of it by mixing it at like 5% of our coke total per day. Yuck, it was super cheap and now we know why.

demolition_x

Not After Fame & Fortune
The composite chin pad is made of fiberglass, carbon fiber, Kevlar, or combination of all three. Strength is the main advantage of our product compared to the stock one. Weight is also decreased by about 20 percent. Freestyle riders have a tendency to destroy the stock unit. Waterdawgs composite chin pad made of Kevlar would eliminate the problem forever. Kustom fit cover also available. Inquire when ordering.

(PN: WKSJ-CP): $140

its not molded plastic...

the carbon fiber part of any thing is more or less for looks. if its covered who gives a crap if its carbon fiber or composite materials

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
I agree, the bottom side doesn't look as cool as the Blowsion piece. But uhh, it's the bottom side. And uhhh, the customer doesn't like the way it fits (or "doesn't fit", lol).

Covers are a matter of opinion. I personally like HT covers because they match my tray turf. But whatever floats your boat :biggthumpup:

Ummm... he said the top and bottom halves out of the mold weighed 37 pounds, and the hood weighed 5. He didn't say the assembled hull and hood weighed 42 pounds, and he said it was a prototype. No mention of a WF hull or how long it lasted.

I have personally laid up a prepreg hull, with a full honeycomb core and only 3 layers of something like a 4.5 ounce glass plus reinforcement in key areas, and it will weigh around 50 pounds complete. I haven't weighed it yet, but I am taking into account paint, foam, adhesive, plumbing, engine mounts, the exhaust tube, fasteners, what assembled prepreg hulls from this same company weigh, the bulkhead, etc. There's less than 20 pounds of actual cloth in this hull, so using a different fabric will not make it much if any lighter. Have you ever seen 4.5 oz glass? Three layers of it is just over half a millimeter thick :bigeyes: Honeycomb is the lightest core material. Prepreg uses the least amount of resin. So how do you get 42 pounds WITH hood?

I am not even saying that my 50 pound hull will be strong, but you can't make it significantly lighter. Well, maybe if you left out the foam...

There was no foam in that boat. But yea maybe the glue weighed like a lb. :biggrin: It was the boat MALONE used in 05 WF:aargh4: It was a prototype as Bobby only built one light weight boat for Malone, the same boat he rode in the 05 WF. I believe he built two other boats that went overseas, but they were S glass, not as light. Who cares...Time will tell.....:bigeyes: Bobby is busy laying up parts and making molds, or Im sure he would have came on here and told you himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom