Making of the SNX Hull

Well no progress to report on this. Was sent to California for work for the next few weeks. Crazy coincidence, I was eating lunch watching some freeride videos and happen to look across the street and find a blaster and square nose on a trailer. What are the odds

humybu4y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in San Jose. I lived here a few years ago for a minute, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. Would be cool to meet up with some people while im here.

@MCrider believe me I want to get this on the water as soon as possible. Hopefully before Daytona. I'm back home next week and closing on a house. Once I get moved in, the progress should come a lot faster since I won't have to travel an hour to work on this. I am thinking top deck popped by beginning of November.

I ordered some fabric samples/swatches and went all interior designer on my plug. I have honeycomb, blue hybrid twill, blue Kevlar hybrid twill, 4x4 twill, and a blue non structural fabric I'm going to work into the gunwales where it transitions from honeycomb to blue Kevlar/carbon. I'm going with minimalist graphics to highlight the carbon work.

Finally found a half decent CAD program for MAC that fit my budget (free). Has a pretty steep learning curve and far from the most intuitive GUI, but it's workable. Rough draft of what I will be doing for the motor mount inserts (dimensions aren't proportional to actual mounts). Once I finish the top deck and bulk head, I'll mock up the inserts with wood and create an exact draft to have machined. Material will be 7075 and hard anodized blue (along with the cooling lines). Carbon will meet up to the lip, and the lip will be approximately the same height as the thickness of the carbon. They will be sized for couch mounts.

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.42.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.42.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.42.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.43.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 10.46.28 PM.png

If anyone knows of a machinist that won't charge an arm and leg to CNC 4 of them, let me know.

No progress on the plug. I have been busy getting my new workshops built up. Spray room/cure room is almost done, and I just need to build a table and a rack for fabric rolls and the converted garage will be all set as a climate controlled room for infusions. Also picked up an old Champion R15a compressor that needs a rebuild. That's going to take a little time, but it will be worth it. The R15 compressors are beastly; it makes the new 5hp Ingersolls look like toys. Will be a huge improvement over the 10 gallon "3hp" direct drive Campbell Hausfeld. I am surprised I could even run an HVLP on that thing.

Between all of that and work there isn't much to report. I did get in my motor mounts ( @rhaas ) and managed to sketch them and create a CAD file while flying back to cali for work.

Sketch of motor mount
mount trace.jpeg

Measurements to plot points and constraints
measurements.jpeg

Finished cad file
Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 10.29.18 PM.png

Underside with pocket
Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 10.30.33 PM.png

Finished product from my machinist
mounts.jpeg
mount 2.jpeg
mount 3.jpeg
mount 4.jpeg

Absolutely beautiful work if you ask me. Very happy with how they turned out. I could have gone with flat plates, but that just doesn't jive with the rest of this build. Plus these weigh in at just a few ounces.

Plan is to anodize them Blue. Looking for someone local that has reasonable prices. If that doesn't pan out, there very well may be a regulated DC power supply, Lye, and a few gallons of sulfuric acid on the shopping list...

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite threads!
I've been through the whole thing like 6 times.

My right index (scrolling finger) is killing me right now.. 2 carpal tunnel surgeries, I need to quit coming back.

FreeCAD for Mac. I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't export to .dxf correctly and while it says it can export to .dwg, it doesn't. If I need to do anything else in CAD, I'll find a copy of solid works student edition and build a windows 7 desktop.

Last edited:
FreeCAD for Mac. I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't export to .dxf correctly and while it says it can export to .dwg, it doesn't. If I need to do anything else in CAD, I'll find a copy of solid works student addition and build a windows 7 desktop.

You can install windows on your mac pretty easily and with a click of a button on start up you can decide which OS you want to boot up in. The app is called boot camp and is installed in your mac already.

Take some pics of your shop! I like to see where people work from when they build skis!

If I'm not mistaken.... This is his "shop"

Which I love! When he starts selling these.... he can pass the savings from his low overhead on to us! lol

8ynebubu.jpg

Top Bottom