Making of the SNX Hull

You can install windows on your mac pretty easily and with a click of a button on start up you can decide which OS you want to boot up in. The app is called boot camp and is installed in your mac already.

I wasn't aware it came on macs now, that's pretty cool. About 10 years ago I worked as a computer tech (basic A+ certified stuff) and we installed parallels for customer occasionally. It's been awhile since I've done anything like that though.

Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken.... This is his "shop"

Which I love! When he starts selling these.... he can pass the savings from his low overhead on to us! lol

8ynebubu.jpg

Yes, that was my shop. It was a 10x12' car port with plastic tacked on 3 sides with a zipper for an entrance. Next to it is a small storage building I kept supplies and tools in.

The house I purchased has an 18x20 converted garage and an 18x18 full insulated building on a slab in the back yard. I had to put in some recessed lighting and 6' wide French doors in the converted garage in order to get molds/skis/parts in and out. The workshop in the back used to have a huge hot tub in it. I had to demo out some of that and frame out a spray room. I need to finish the spray room, build an 8'x6' composite/fabric table and rack for inside, a work bench for the workshop, rebuild the R15 and plumb the shop, and move my tools/molds in. Along with a few other odds and ends. I'll get some pics of it once it's all finished up. Right now my 1100 blaster is doubling as my work bench/tool box.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Be sure to post how you install the inserts for the motor mounts. I am very interested.

Id be trying brass myself since we not only ride salt but the gulf is very high content. Seems like everything rots quick here.

I wasn't aware it came on macs now, that's pretty cool. About 10 years ago I worked as a computer tech (basic A+ certified stuff) and we installed parallels for customer occasionally. It's been awhile since I've done anything like that though.

Thanks for the tip!

I've run both parallels and bootcamp; even though bootcamp is free and comes on your mac, I still prefer parallels

I have made a few hackintoshes(installing mac on nonapple machine) with windows 7 dual boot, but mac OS tends to work with only specific video cards with opencl.
So even with my more powerful video cards, the display was a bit laggy. I personally prefer boot camp, but I don't want to spend money on a mac.

The biggest issues I have seen with inserts have been from galvanic corrosion between carbon and aluminum. Salt water being an electrolyte accelerates the galvanic corrosion (facilitates is more accurate I suppose).

Anodizing creates an oxide layer that eliminates electrical conductivity along the surface and protects the aluminum underneath from the galvanic process. In addition, the mounts will be completely isolated from the carbon by a layer of fiberglass.

As for bonding, the mounts will be jigged up and 5200 down. Once that cures, glass and carbon will be laid down and Vac bagged. Just the edges will be covered.

Nothing new project wise. Slowly getting everything together just to be able to work on it. Finished refurbishing the R15. Just need to pickup some hardware and plumbing.

Before
image-7.jpeg
image-1.jpeg
image-3.jpeg
image-2.jpeg

After
image-4.jpeg
image-5.jpeg
image-6.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

550klunker

kickin it old school
Read every single post on this build so far. Absolutely phenomenal workmanship! Cannot wait to see the final product!! I'll be using some of your tips and tricks when building my square this winter!

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
Nothing new project wise. Slowly getting everything together just to be able to work on it. Finished refurbishing the R15. Just need to pickup some hardware and plumbing.

Before
View attachment 266109
View attachment 266104
View attachment 266106
View attachment 266107

After
View attachment 266110
View attachment 266108
View attachment 266112
View attachment 266111

Oh that's a great way to be spending your time. If only you could finish that ski as fast as that air compressor... haha :p Good work man always impressed with what you post. Now hurry up and finish that thing!

<--- This guy is jealous of your setup! No wonder we haven't seen any ski updates, you've been really busy. Quite the improvement over your outdoor shop, nice work!

Great job on the hull! It looks great, what's the weight? Also, if you need some motor mount inserts let me know,I have billet ones that are anodized

Thanks! Haven't weighed the bottom deck, but I estimate it's around 18-20lbs based on my layup schedule. Top deck is still in the plug phase, but I'm aiming for about 20lbs. Top deck is going to be a little heavier than other carbon top decks due to the integrated pole bracket setup I am going to try out. The nose/bracket area is going to be ~120oz + 6mm soric XF core at its thickest point. Progressively getting down to ~60oz at the sides. Pole will mount directly into the top deck with two pinch bolts (similar to the xmetal bolts).

I designed some motor mount inserts and had Rhaas CNC them for me. I just need to get them anodized. Haven't really spent much time looking for an anodizer. I'm leaning towards buying the equipment to do small batches at home.

I took some inspiration from your Stryker hulls for what I plan for the top deck visual carbon layup. We'll see how it comes out. Your work looks fantastic by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks! Haven't weighed the bottom deck, but I estimate it's around 18-20lbs based on my layup schedule. Top deck is still in the plug phase, but I'm aiming for about 20lbs. Top deck is going to be a little heavier than other carbon top decks due to the integrated pole bracket setup I am going to try out. The nose/bracket area is going to be ~120oz + 6mm soric XF core at its thickest point. Progressively getting down to ~60oz at the sides. Pole will mount directly into the top deck with two pinch bolts (similar to the xmetal bolts).

I designed some motor mounts and had Rhaas CNC them for me. I just need to get them anodized. Haven't really spent much time looking for an anodizer. I'm leaning towards buying the equipment to do small batches at home.

I took some inspiration from your Stryker hulls for what I plan for the top deck visual carbon layup. We'll see how it comes out. Your work looks fantastic by the way.

Thanks! 20lb top and bottom decks is a good target weight and will be very strong, however i would advise against using the soric core material anywhere that will have bolt going through, I use the 4mm core on the stryker hulls. on my first hull i used it in my bulkhead and where the midshaft bolts passed through to the inserts behind it failed and wore away completely

Interesting. How exactly did the failure occur? Did the inserts lose adhesions or did the core delaminate around the holes that were drilled?

The other option I am looking at is balsa, but precut the pole bolt holes so the laminate fully surrounds the holes and then just drill out the carbon, leaving the balsa sandwhiched and unexposed. I suppose this could be done with soric xf as well.

Top Bottom