Blaster Maxing out my 701cc blaster *UPDATE* 57.4MPH!

Took her back out today and there was a steady 6-8mph wind. A friend of mine was out here with me that is into boat racing and gave me some tips on using the wind to my advantage for testing speed. I also gave it a 1/4 turn on the high and low. I hit 57.4mph! And in all of its glory that I used a bad word Coffman pipe bracket broke in half... It is a thick solid piece of steel too! I replaced all of the rubber dampeners, bolts, washers etc.. I even sanded the bracket and painted it so if there where any small cracks starting etc I would have seen them. @TheBuzzard Any tips on keeping this pipe from becoming a recurring headache? Should I add dampeners to the part of the bracket that bolts to the cylinder (Where it cracked)?
Yes we spent afew race days on the beach for this exact reason. The protec wasnt much better but it was still alittle better than these.Only advice is to make sure that there is no binding or pressure on the chamber when it gets bolted to that bracket. We did have to use a couple thin shims. It still broke but took longer. I looked last night and i still have a brand new complete system in the box.Must have been my last replacement from them.Never did use it. Glad to see this is fun for you.I remember going through all this 20 years ago.
8ir1SkW.jpg

RXCcWLJ.jpg

1KiZUAA.jpg

MJm7UJ8.jpg

didnt you make that bracket that broke? i know the ones coffman made were about 1/2" steel. i dont see how you could rubber isolate that bracket where it mounts to the cyl. anything can be modified to work , but its going to be trial and error. that band clamp you have over the coupler makes the coupler last longer, but it also makes the whole pipe more rigid , vibrate more and cause cracking. you may have less cracking problems without that clamp, but you'll go thru couplers faster. i think i'd rater go thru couplers.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
didnt you make that bracket that broke? i know the ones coffman made were about 1/2" steel. i dont see how you could rubber isolate that bracket where it mounts to the cyl. anything can be modified to work , but its going to be trial and error. that band clamp you have over the coupler makes the coupler last longer, but it also makes the whole pipe more rigid , vibrate more and cause cracking. you may have less cracking problems without that clamp, but you'll go thru couplers faster. i think i'd rater go thru couplers.

This bracket came with the pipe. It could be home made, any recommendations on where I can buy a box couplers?

Really 57 mph!? I have not followed your thread.Did you use radar

See post #79

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I think I am going to try one of these 5 ply silicone couplers off amazon. I could also loosen up the clamp that is holding it on. Coffman calls for 50ft/lbs of torque. Maybe I Can use 15-20lbs and lock tight it.
41tIquzq1qL.jpg

88kawi5fiddy

pew pew lazers!
I think I am going to try one of these 5 ply silicone couplers off amazon. I could also loosen up the clamp that is holding it on. Coffman calls for 50ft/lbs of torque. Maybe I Can use 15-20lbs and lock tight it.
41tIquzq1qL.jpg
also try samco racing silicone couplers. samcosport.com/usa/ they have oil and fuel resistant ones. they build 1200hp supra's with these hoses so i bet they will last a lot longer than the amazon ones. once again you get what you pay for.

Typical, weld a bushing over each hole and then a gusset to the plate behind. only needs to be across the top.Use the black marine exhaust hose. Blue stripe i think. Then no band clamp.Bolt it together with the bracket on the cylinder and no coupler.Check the alignment of the chamber vs the head pipe. Adjust with some shims if the two dont line up. Then assemble with the black couple only.

Just remember the exhaust between the two is extremely hot and will melt that stuff. That stuff only works after the pipe or waterbox. After the water has been injected into the system.Use the marine exhaust hose.It seemed to last the longest

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Just remember the exhaust between the two is extremely hot and will melt that stuff. That stuff only works after the pipe or waterbox. After the water has been injected into the system.Use the marine exhaust hose.It seemed to last the longest

Where are you finding the marine stuff at? The ones in the picture are good to 350F.
http://www.siliconehose.com/silicone-hump-hose/

samco is just the usa distrubuter for that company yeah. what are you using a 4.5" coupler for again? is it where the pipe half meets.

Correct, it is for the pipe halves.

Awesome top speed. Wish I could get that. I got a case/cylinder ported ported motor with Wiseco light weight pistons at 720cc, Coffman pipe and Riva 48, Concorde 14/19. Maybe I'll vet there one day

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Awesome top speed. Wish I could get that. I got a case/cylinder ported ported motor with Wiseco light weight pistons at 720cc, Coffman pipe and Riva 48, Concorde 14/19. Maybe I'll vet there one day
You should be way faster! I did notice a difference when I opened up and polished the exhaust manifold. I also have the water line that runs to the stinger T'd. Not sure if helps or hurts yet though. Have you hooked up a tach to see what your rpms are?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
The bracket was 3/8" thick. I cut off the broken part and added new 1/2" steel. Also cleaned up the 5 bolt holes on the other part of the bracket.

So what do you guys think, am I maxed out or would it be worth going up to a larger carb and adding an MSD Enhancer?

Top Bottom