Super Jet My 1st Superjet

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I race a lot with SXRs at the lake. I bought my SJ for freeride, but until my X2 is done (very soon I hope) and dialed in, the only thing I have to race is my SJ. I know the SXR is a better platform. I came very close to selling my SJ for a SXR, but after Daytona this year, I know that keeping the SJ was the right decision. It will be my freeride/surf boat, and my X2 will be my race boat.

1/13/13

I have been trying to keep up with the SXRs. That hull just smokes the SJ hull. They have me on both power and handling. I want to improve both, but I can't have any permanent handling changes for racing that alters my ability to surf ride. Everything has to be easily unbolted, like owning 2 ride plates for example.

The Dominator plate reduced my purposing and high speed stability, but I still have a lot of side-to-side roll and kick out of the rear end. I hope the destroyers will greatly improve the roll once I have them installed. However, they wont fix the kick out of the rear end when corning at high speeds.

I had never used rear sponsons before, but I had everything out working on my X2, so I figured I'd make an inexpensive test set real fast.

I used the plastic bag my glass came in since the resin doesn't stick to it. I cut some glass bigger than I needed so I could cut my shape out of the raw form. I used 1 layer of 24oz Weave sandwiched b/t 2 layers of 1208 Biax. I laid up my epoxy, then rolled the plastic keeping the soon-to-be part inside, I laid up the second sponson, then rolled the parts twice more, trapping the glass inside of the plastic. I placed 2 cinder blocks on top of this and let it sit to harden. (Both raw parts can be seen here, directly on top of each other. I cut them out while they were still slightly stuck so they are identical).
DSC01967.jpg

I then used a straight edge and a french curve to draw my shape. The overall sponsons is 14.5" x 1.25" measured by the area exposed under the bond rail. I cut it out using my 4" ginder and sanded the final shape with my DA.
DSC01968.jpg

The final part came out acceptable. They were rigid enough once bolted onto the ski. I used m4 bolts so they would fit into the stock bumper holes. I wish I would have made the part 1" longer so I didn't have to drill a hole in my rail, no biggy. They were pretty rigid once they were bolted on, but another layer of glass or some carbon would have taken the flex out completely. I also need to switch to some fender washers.
DSC01969.jpg

In the end, these things greatly improved my handling. I was able to take the corners much much harder than ever before (I don't slow down much for the corners anymore). The back end of the ski maintained traction in the corners with none of the kick-out that I usually experienced. They also greatly improved my set up for the corner. Previously, when I would enter the corner and let off the throttle... "prop breaking" (I think I made that phrase up), the back end of the ski would get really loose and sway, so I would ease off the throttle sooner making the braking more gradual. However, the sponsons completely removed this sway. I can now let off the throttle later, get more forward, and be more aggressive with my setup, w/o losing traction entering the corners.

I plan to later make a set out of 1/4" aluminum, and tap the bolt holes so I can very quickly add/remove them.

I still can't keep up with the SXRs. I get too much roll in the chop, and they are putting out more power than I am. I think once I have my destroyers on, it could be a pretty good race. Once I have my pole shortened and my motor mods bolted on, I think it could get pretty interesting and competitive.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Jetting question...

I just rebuilt my carb, cleaned everything again, new primary pump and cleaned the slave pump. Im putting in the thimb adjustment screws i got from jetmaniac and the primer kit. (it seems the high speed adjustment screw bottoms out on the thumb screws before it gets to bottom out on the needle.) I'm waiting on my new needles and seats to put it back together. Stock pop off is 53, my carbs were leaking at 25 and couldn't get to 53 because they leaked so bad.

My question is that I was given a set of boysen duel stage reeds and a reed spacer. What I'm wondering is if I put these on, will it change my jetting? I want my ski back in the water, so if I can put either or both of these parts on and retain my jetting I will, but if I need to make jetting changes in going to hold off for a bit.
I just want to tune my adjustment screws and be riding again, and rejet when I put my new head on and such.

Thanks.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Did a little work in February.

I removed my carbs, rebuilt the fuel pumps, pulled the brass covers on the adjustments and replaced the stock screws with T-screws provided by jet maniac. I installed a primer with blue line also provided by jet maniac. Ski is running very smooth although I think I need to fiddle with the screws a tad more to get it perfect.

DSC02067.jpg

My stock paint fell right off my hood. I painted the hood with a single stage silathane paint. That paint faded. I recently repainted it, but this time I cleared it with single stage polyurithane with a UV rating. I'm hoping it doesn't fade so bad this time. I did buy an OEM cover so it should last this time. Over all it came out pretty good. I painted it with my Home Depot gun and the black laid down very nice. The clear however was very thin, much thinner than how I am used to thinning my paint, so I got some sagging. I was pretty disappointed by that, but as you can see, it still came out nice. It's a $20 paint job that came out much cleaner than a rattle can, so I'm happy.

DSC02071.jpg

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Don't worry, I do more than just a minor modification with this thing once every 3 months. I mostly just ride the :):):):) out of it.

I still have not installed a number of my parts. My motor is still stock, throttle is still stock, etc etc, all stock motor.

These pics are from today's practice session. I still have the Dominator ride plate (extended traction vent racing plate) and rear sponsons installed, stock motor, stainless prop, stock length pole and steering, with 0* bars.

180's are progressing nicely.

attachment.php

Subs are cleaning up. I need to figure out how to get deeper. This picture is obviously on the up stroke, but I have seen some hardcore subs. Subs where that rider is completely under the water for 1/2 to 1 whole second. I want to get there. For now, I'm just glad they are getting smooth, clean and consistent.

DSC_0320.jpg

I am sure a shorter pole and removing my racing parts would help, as well as some more power, but for now this is what I am working with. Even though I have a complete ADA high compression girdled head kit compliments of jetmaniac sitting on the shelf, I don't want to upgrade too much and rely on power to throw down nose stabs and 180s. I know I can set them up right, get great pop and reasonable rotation on an all stock boat. I want to focus on skill and consistency, rather than looking for a crutch in the way of more power.

I have to say however, there has been a noticeable difference in power since I rebuilt the carbs (fuel pump with new needle and seat) and put in the T-screws jetmaniac sent me. I don't have more power, but being as I now have a properly tuned and responsive machine, I have more power.

Attachments

• DSC_0311.jpg
    DSC_0311.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Lol. nothing has changed. We've simple changed "buy a superjet" to "Buy a B-pipe".

I know, I know. I need a pipe. I'm good for now. No tuning, no work. I ride twice a week no fuss no problems. I'm probably going to get a pipe at the end of this season.

Lol. nothing has changed. We've simple changed "buy a superjet" to "Buy a B-pipe".

I know, I know. I need a pipe. I'm good for now. No tuning, no work. I ride twice a week no fuss no problems. I'm probably going to get a pipe at the end of this season.

Why wait? You're going to get one anyway. Better sooner than later. :D

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Anyway I can set my ski up for dual cooling and keep the stock siphon w/o installing a new tube? I would imagine not. Not sure if 1 line from the pump would be enough cooling with 1 line to the manifold, 2 lines off the head and 2 pissers.

Feedback, thanks.

Still trying to find a FPP B-pipe manifold. I wasn't going to put my X2 B-pipe on my SJ because it's a crusty POS with the screws all sorts of jacked, but I have a plan, so I'm going to try to part my X2 and put my pipe on my SJ. Need to find a manifold. Trying to find minty used, but it's looking like I'll have to buy new. Have everything but the manifold.

Anyway I can set my ski up for dual cooling and keep the stock siphon w/o installing a new tube? I would imagine not. Not sure if 1 line from the pump would be enough cooling with 1 line to the manifold, 2 lines off the head and 2 pissers.

Feedback, thanks.

Still trying to find a FPP B-pipe manifold. I wasn't going to put my X2 B-pipe on my SJ because it's a crusty POS with the screws all sorts of jacked, but I have a plan, so I'm going to try to part my X2 and put my pipe on my SJ. Need to find a manifold. Trying to find minty used, but it's looking like I'll have to buy new. Have everything but the manifold.

I have two lines off the head, one going to the header and the other to a pisser. The another pisser off the line going to the singer in front of a fcv. I haven't had cooling problems. I may run dual cooling if I really feel like it but right now its fine.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I have two lines off the head, one going to the header and the other to a pisser. The another pisser off the line going to the singer in front of a fcv. I haven't had cooling problems. I may run dual cooling if I really feel like it but right now its fine.

Cool, thanks. I'm not going big bore or anything crazy like that and I want to keep my stock bilge.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Destroyers! sponsored by Team Jack's. Thanks Jetrace19!

DSC02252.jpg
DSC02251.jpg

I removed the stock lower decals but I did not use goo gone or anything. The lower deck has gouging from the previous owner I plan to fix. I secured the fittings by the instructions but no other method (no silicone or epoxy). I'm going to pull the destroyers in the near future to tidy up the bottom deck. It's structurally perfect btw, just a lot of 1mm or less gouges on the sides.

Can't wait until I get to test them on Friday.

Last edited:
congratz for the great work, I have an identic SJ and I am going through almost the same improvements you did... This topic is going to be very helpful in that!
I've also read about people reinforcing the engine compartment in order to have better resistance for freestyle surfing... are you planning to do that? is that really useful?
cheers

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
congratz for the great work, I have an identic SJ and I am going through almost the same improvements you did... This topic is going to be very helpful in that!
I've also read about people reinforcing the engine compartment in order to have better resistance for freestyle surfing... are you planning to do that? is that really useful?
cheers

I may someday but not right now. That reinforcement adds weight that I do not want to add. You need it when you start pancaking (failed barrel rolls landing on your side) and that is presently not an issue. It would add weight at the lake, but not benefit be in the surf because I'm not yet abusing my ski. Someday if I go big, but not presently on my todo list.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Well, so far I am at 3 broken motor mounts and a broken pole bracket. Apparently, I have over estimated the quality of stock parts because I have not been very abusive in my opinion. Just further delays on riding again. At the very least, it's best I found the broken mounts before they gave away and everything in my compartment got wiped out.

I'd probably rather have a cheap like new stock take off to save money, but any suggestions on an AM bracket in billet? I see cold fusion has one pretty reasonable. I'd like a lowered pole bracket but I'm not getting a lowered hood so I'm not sure that would work out for me. I'd also like to retain the stock pole holder and spring.

I was going to get OEM mounts, but considering the Rhass.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Get OEM couch mounts IMO.... You may need to deck 1mm off the bottom or slot the mount holes, but there is a lot of rubber and surface area, they just seem like they will last longer. I have been running them for a couple years. I have a couple used SJ mounts you can have.

I love my R&D pole bracket but they are impossible to find. It is lower, moved forward and retains the factory pole lock. I am not sure if any lowered brackets will work with OEM hood. Unless you put some sort of bump stop so the pole does not rest on the hood. I would think you should be able to find an OEM bracket pretty easily.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I'm going to give the Rhaas mounts a shot. I like the way they are attached to the rubber. Nothing wrong with my mounts except they just fell apart. Rhaas are built differently so I'm hopeful they will last longer. I'm not worried about ripping out inserts, nothing I did caused these to fail, the tops just came loose from the rubber.

I found a used like new UMI billet stock replacement pole bracket that I'm just waiting on pictures for.

Thanks for the suggestions.

BrightE's

Paul
The polyurethane UV paint you used on the hood looks great. Were you able to pick it up at a home improvement store or did you have to go to a specialty shop?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The polyurethane UV paint you used on the hood looks great. Were you able to pick it up at a home improvement store or did you have to go to a specialty shop?

$13/qt at Fiberglass coatings inc. They are only a mile or so from my house. The paint faded really bad the 1st time I used it.

The poly urathane clear coat that is UV rated came from home depot. It was by the stains.

I used my home depot gun (kit was HVLP gun and std gun with tools for $80). Paint on bare glass (as directed by FGCI when they sold me the paint). Paint was thinned with mineral spirits, theres a % but I eyeballed it. Then I put the clear right over it.

be careful with the clear. It was very very thin. Do 3 very thin coats. I went a tad heavy on my second coat and the clear sagged. A actually lost a lot of shine because i wet sanded the clear off, then re-cleared it. I wish I would have left the sags. All well.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Destroyers made a very big difference on the track. I can carve much harder and my ski is much more competitive. For racing and rec riding it is a big improvement. I'm sure they will be a little better for freeride and surf since the ski is more stable, but the nose is noticeably more heavy in the nose, and the handling is different. I can understand why some people don't prefer them.

Ski came apart this month for some upgrades. Kind of my way of making sure I don't sport a cast to my wedding... lol...

Anyway...

Motor looks very minty inside.
Sand blasted pole top and bottom, turn plate, bar clamps, ebox bracket and pipe and painted them metallic silver. (Thanks to Phil)
Vinyl wrapped the pole, it was my 1st time with Vinyl. I used too much heat and it came out marginal at best. I'm going to retry after I see how the stuff holds up. Was only $13 in vinyl.
Beat some of the rust off my starter and painted it, hoping it will hold up

Upgrades include...
Shortened pole 3 inches
Cold fusion throttle (Jetmaniac)
BB throttle cable (Jetmaniac) cable and throttle to prevent further breakage
FPP B-pipe manifold with both gaskets (Jetworks)
B-pipe with limited chamber (stolen from my X2)
MSD enhancer (Donated by Ryan)
Carbon dual stage reeds (Donated by Ryan)
R&D reed stuffers (Jetmaniac)
ADA girlded head kit with 180psi (Jetmaniac)
Rhaas billet motor mounts (Rhaas) because the stockers were broken
New intake, carb, ebox and stator gaskets (jetmaniac)
Jetworks blue flow control valve (stolen from my X2)
Lightened #ZERO stock flywheel (#ZERO)

I also have a new hood seal and a Jetmaniac hood strap to install, but I'm not sure how I want to install the strap yet.

Pics... Still working on it atm...

DSC02254.jpg
DSC02262.jpg
DSC02263.jpg
DSC02266.jpg
DSC02270.jpg
DSC02271.jpg
DSC02272.jpg
DSC02264.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom