Need help finding sunkin' ski (Not Anymore!!!)

accbr

addicted
ok, there are a ton of divers on here, who wants to drive out to Kansas?

I'll go. :biggrin: Pick you up on the way. My gear is still hangin in the garage from diving in Myrtle beach last week.

There's gotta be somebody there that can do this quickly. Go to the dive shop, talk to anybody there, explain the situation first then offer him $50. 18 feet isn't that deep to get somebody to verify it's a ski and try to move it for you and tie a rope to it. Or try to start it and ride it up. J/K. If the diver can't move it, and the rope doesn't do it, then like Ollie said you'll need a couple experienced divers with float bags. It did drift a long way, so it's probably not too stuck.

^^^^For real. As long as its down in the water, nothing is gona rust, but the minute it comes out, be ready for the tear down for sure!

i disagree. by that logic, you can safely fill your crancase and cylinders with water for a year or 3, with the intake and exhaust manifolds blocked off, and your crank will be fine as long as you hit it with oil right after draining the water. it just doesnt happen like that. it will rust SLOWER under water than when wet then exposed to the air, but it wont NOT rust.

T-bone

brraap....thats so 2002
i had to go back to page one.... i forgot who started this thing.......maybe it was a ruse.....

meatball

User Title Unavailable
SFL, it will rust a little, but not a whole lot at all, see my post above. There is not enough oxygen down there to complete the reaction. If a pocket gets trapped, thats a different story, but the fully submerged parts will be nearly untouched, and the hull will be good too, unless some water got beneath the gelcoat (if it has gelcoat?)

Outboard on bottom for 3 weeks in salty dirty water. Came up and not a spot of rust ANYWHERE (and its still running 4 years and a couple hundred hours later). I'd assume freshwater would be the same. Rebuild the crank and new piston bearings since its a high perf engine, but I wanna see pictures of the teardown. Im betting its gonna be damn close to great looking.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
hey Meatball, Charlie is saying that it will rust, but by being underwater, it will take longer than it would if it was out of the water, you both are saying the same thing.

goXtreme

Winter Sux
Yes! the suspense is killing me too, I have stayed quiet on this thread, basically because I wanted to see it turn out for the good, but now i cant take it aymore.

Good luck to ya!!!

I was reading about the 3rd Lung Hookah system: 5.5 hp Robin Subaru motor That is the same manufacturer that Polaris used for PWC engines....I don't think I want my life depending on that. :biggrin:

Aaron

wildman326

Who else?
They didn't raise anything. Found out it was a small bass/fishing boat. They got a diver to confirm that it wasn't Luke's ski this morning at about 10 AM. So they left it down there. Anybody want a crummy aluminum fishing boat? I'm sure they still have the GPS location.

Top Bottom