New NOCO Lithium Batteries

Jcary85

Site Supporter
The 14 is plenty. I have 3 skis all with the 14. Two have been running all season total loss. One is charging zeel. All going great and don’t require any additional sealing like an AG

According to the FDNY, in 2023, lithium-ion batteries caused 267 fires, 150 injuries and 18 deaths in the city. They say as of Monday, there have been 24 lithium-ion battery fire investigations and eight injuries across the five boroughs so far this year.

I am very happy with the set up. Only garage start ups so far so no real water experience but the doubled CCA is noticeable in the garage. I went from an odyssey Extreme PC 625 to a NOCO NLP14. I dropped a little over 10lbs as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6796.jpeg
    IMG_6796.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6797.jpeg
    IMG_6797.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 23

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have an all new found respect for the NOCO 14. It all started out over a year ago as a test for the Zeel Y62t cdi and see how it worked with Lithium. As there were reported issues I needed to debunk. (No issues ever arose in my testing) two weeks ago while surf riding, had a flip go bad, hood dislodged and down to visit Davey Jones I went. Up on the Beach, the dewatering began.( TPE 1021) thru out the entire process, the 14 never gave up. Had to do a full fuel system dewater & clean, yada yada yada. Longer than a typical cleanup. The 14 stayed strong!
even after a Full Saltwater Submersion and 10-15 minutes Under. Never shorted or quit. I was honestly very surprised.
say what you will, it earned my respect.

P

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I have an all new found respect for the NOCO 14. It all started out over a year ago as a test for the Zeel Y62t cdi and see how it worked with Lithium. As there were reported issues I needed to debunk. (No issues ever arose in my testing) two weeks ago while surf riding, had a flip go bad, hood dislodged and down to visit Davey Jones I went. Up on the Beach, the dewatering began.( TPE 1021) thru out the entire process, the 14 never gave up. Had to do a full fuel system dewater & clean, yada yada yada. Longer than a typical cleanup. The 14 stayed strong!
even after a Full Saltwater Submersion and 10-15 minutes Under. Never shorted or quit. I was honestly very surprised.

P
Impressive! Did you do any further sealing on the battery seamss/terminals?

Jcary85

Site Supporter
My Update on these batteries: I’ve never had a failure. Definitely high quality batteries but I discovered (maybe they just started publishing?) the 14 is only 7ah vs a AG1601 that’s 11ah. Quite a bit more capacity in an antigravity (though AG is a much lower quality battery). I’ve decided to switch back to AG for my “comp” ski and NOCO in every other ski. I ran one all last season with no problem but did run it down a time or two.

P
Impressive Paul! I have one in my Blaster I have been running for a year with the zeel and its been great. I wrapped some tape around the bond line and some silicone grease under the terminals on mine where they go into the case. I was worried about putting one in a fresh water stand up needing a battery this year, I'm second guessing that now. :D

I hope everything on your ski was ok.

What battery comes in the 4 stoke superjet?
I'm currently not near one but according to Riva it's "YB16CL-B, 6-7/8 x 4 x 6-7/8, Capacity 10hr:19, cold cranking amps:240"

Edit - I just looked up the Yamaha factory battery number, YB16CLB and according to the Noco website the NLP20 is a replacement.

Last edited:
The NOCOs also have a 5 year warranty. Had a NLP 20 that worked good for over a year, stopped working while just sitting in the ski. Got a brand new one in the mail after sending a pic of the scratched out serial number.

I'm currently not near one but according to Riva it's "YB16CL-B, 6-7/8 x 4 x 6-7/8, Capacity 10hr:19, cold cranking amps:240"

Edit - I just looked up the Yamaha factory battery number, YB16CLB and according to the Noco website the NLP20 is a replacement.
So it looks like your factory battery has about 325CCA and a specified 19AH but its really about half that if doing a recommended 50% Depth of discharge.

I run the NLP14 that has 500 amps of starting power but only 4AH. The capacity of the battery has never been a problem after a day of starting and stopping out on the river for me on a 701. I dont really even need to charge it once I get home.. but I generally throw it on the charger before I head back out.

I would say give the 14 a try over the 20 as its cheaper and has over the starting amps of your original. The 14 comes with a bunch of plastic spacers so you should still be able to get a good fit. I think the larger capacity battery was required to get the cranking amps up to an appropriate level. With lithium you can get crazy high cranking amps in a small package at the cost of some capacity that may not actually be required.

The NOCOs also have a 5 year warranty. Had a NLP 20 that worked good for over a year, stopped working while just sitting in the ski. Got a brand new one in the mail after sending a pic of the scratched out serial number.

The 5 year warranty is really one thing that drew me in. That is pretty cool that they sent you a new one and did not require you to ship the old back.

I do wonder if auto parts stores will recycle these though? Might have to take them to one of the free local community hazardous waste days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom