New to X-h20 and skis in general....

Hey whats up everyone! Im new to this board and to ski's in general. i recently sold some of my dirtbikes since i never have anyone to ride with during the summer and instead want to now get a jet ski of a sort. I have ridden plenty of seadoos and water couches because a lot of my family has them but i want a jet ski. Im kinda of a big guy at 250 5'11" (well weight wise that is lol). What would you guys reccomend i get for a first ski? i dont want to spend a fortune so no more than a grand but i want something i can mod a bit and have fun on it for a couple of years until i upgrade to a bigger better one or just get better at it. It will probably be used at lakes and rivers only. maybe after i get better in the ocean but for now ill stick to rivers. So waht do you guys think? Also were can i learn some of the lingo and general info on ski's?? cuz im getting confused with all the words you guys throw around. any magazines also that i can check out or books? ive been looking at kawasaki ski's and some x-2's are those pretty good? thanks for any help guys as i want this endeavor into this hobby to be a fun and exciting one.
:pancake:

Well honestly you probably would want to look at Superjet. I would look for the early 90's square nose (SN) style. For many reasons; plenty of modifications, lots of parts, and if you end up getting a Kawi you will be hassled and everyone will tell you to get a Yamaha.:chairshot:

But the best thing you can do is search! And don't be in a hurry to buy your first ski!

Good luck!

ger87410

How did I get here?
Well honestly you probably would want to look at Superjet. I would look for the early 90's square nose (SN) style. For many reasons; plenty of modifications, lots of parts, and if you end up getting a Kawi you will be hassled and everyone will tell you to get a Yamaha.:chairshot:

But the best thing you can do is search! And don't be in a hurry to buy your first ski!

Good luck!
:lmao: Says the Kawi guy. :jester:

As far as engine size goes, you'll probably want a 750cc+. Other then that, any ski will do IMO.

In CA, keep an eye out for salt water damage on the ski you buy.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
701 or better Superjets rule for tricks, if you are more of a racer type and have $$ the Kawi SXR is an awesome ride, especially for a bigger guy - 800cc will get you moving fo sho. IMHO Superjets are more fun though. . .

well im none of the above right now! lol i just wanted to get something i can ride and get a hang of it. waht should i be looking for in a used superjet? waht should i stay away from i was thinking about a kawi 650-750sx for now and when i get better i can get something else. and were do you guys get your aftermarket parts?

Honestly I like my 750sx. Thats compared to my old 550 I had. I have fun on it. I'm adding footholds. But I plan on one day getting a superjet or sxr. I basically want a ski that is fun and reliable. So far both my Kawi's have been reliable. I wouldn't get a 650sx.

then i think ima shoot for a 750sx and later get something. me and my cuzin might be getting some together so that will be fun. and how are the ski's in the water? kinda stable at least or will i be getting tossed around?

GReenANt

GReenAnt
i was only 150# when i test rode a 650 and it was underpowered for me.

easiest to learn on is an SXR 800 (big and wide)

SXI 750 and Superjet 701 will be similar to learn on but the superjet will be better for modifying into a freeride/surf ski and its lighter

Learning on an sxr will make riding smaller ski harder because you don't need the same balance
and learning all a smaller one will make riding a big ski seem too easy

Last edited:
okay what about a Wave blaster 1 or x-2?? how do those fair? i want to try and learn how to free ride and flatwater tricks and stuff like that. looks pretty fun and interesting.

dont waste your money on anything but a sj. I had kawi 750s 650s and x2s. But end the end i wasted a ton of money, and now the only ski i have is a round nose sj. If your looking to spend 1k on a kawi. Go ahead and spend the extra 2-300 and get a 701 square. In stock for they pull so much harder and are more reliable than any of my kawis were. Sometimes you can get a good square w/ a 701 for 1k, but you better be able to drop the cash as soon as it pops up, because it will not last long!

Good luck, and welcome to the X!

socal750

Socal750
Let's face facts....we know everyone loves superjets but the 750sx will flat smoke them in a drag race, with that being said if you raced for 5 miles straight the superjet would win just cause they ride more consistant...to me that's the problem it always leaves you wanting more power. I would look for a superjet with a 701 or 760 if you can find one or a 750 sx or sxi pro both skis are awesome!!! I'm 6'2" 225 and my 750 yanks my big body around

grezzmky

Suckin paint fumes
701 SJ for sure. You will never have to upgade to a diff ski... RN or SN you will just modify that one. hell getting a 650 SJ and upgrading to a 701 or 760 later (direct drop in) could be cheaper then selling that POS Kawi for a SJ later. Find a Superjet or an AWSOME steal on a 750sx then ride it a bit and get rid of it for an SJ

hahaha so i guess its an SJ or bust lol? Ive been looking for a square nose but i cant seem to find one for a decent price. i can find some RN for like 3k that are all fixed up. Kawi's i can find left and right and are kinda more affordable. Ima keep my eyes peeled out for a early RN i like those. Were do you guys find your used skies? Craigslist aint that good.

ya 750 kawis are great machines to learn on. decent power, easy to work on (never had to do much to the 2 i owned) but once you get better and want more, you may find yourself wanting the superjet. basically its how much money u got and what u want out of your ski. not gonna be doing barrel rolls or flips anytime soon?? if your just looking to learn to ride and get the hang of it, you will be just fine on a kawi 750. and they are much easier to find cheap then a superjet.

just my .02 cents.

well yeah i gotta learn how to ride one before i can start trying to do tricks. i guess ima save up for a super jet a SN and possibly get a 750sx as well so i can have some one else come out with me too! What makes the SJ superior though?

Top Bottom