New to X-h20 and skis in general....

If at all possible meet someone thats willing to let you try out their standups. If you were close to Arkansas I would let you try all of my skis out. You will find that whether your just a rec rider jumping boat wakes and doing subs or a hardcore freestyler/surf rider you will be much happier with a yamaha. Does this mean you cant do tricks and have fun on a kawi? No. Its just that the yamaha fits the nich better than the kawi. The yamaha powerplant/pump pulls harder off idle which is important to freestyle.

ahhh i see now. its the components in the super jet that make it the ideal freestyle ski and all around choice. well there is a free hull on PWCtoday I'm going see if its still available and pick it up. its 1989 550sx so i wonder what i can drop into that. i would like to ride a couple but no one i know has one and i wouldn't want to break some one else's stuff.

Last edited:

Boris

The Good Old Days
The most expensive 550 you'll ever own is the one you get for free.

If that hull is close and for free than by all means, pick it up. Don't stick nothing into it instead, keep it as a spare or future project.
You can get complete and running 550's for next to nothing so look for one of those.

Ive seen running js550s for $300. If your not sure whether its going to be your thing than maybe buy something like that and see if you into it or not. As long as you dont dump alot of $$ into it you can always get your money back. You could always keep it for buddies to ride once you upgrade as well. Js550s are fun to play on.

550klunker

kickin it old school
if you were closer to GA i would sell you my complete 550 for $300 and everything spare i have for it. i just want it out of my garage.

stanton

High on jetskis.
ahhh i see now. its the components in the super jet that make it the ideal freestyle ski and all around choice. well there is a free hull on PWCtoday I'm going see if its still available and pick it up. its 1989 550sx so i wonder what i can drop into that. i would like to ride a couple but no one i know has one and i wouldn't want to break some one else's stuff.
no its not the components, its the whole package. the hull design, steering design, pole design, and weight distribution is what makes a sj the #1 boat. you really need to ride the skis and you will see the superjet is the funnest and most playful feeling ski out there, and thats even before any mods! when you ride it the boat practically screams "jump me!" its not the best carver, but that type of riding gets old QUICK!
get a sj and stick to the surf. :Thinkingof_:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
no its not the components, its the whole package. the hull design, steering design, pole design, and weight distribution is what makes a sj the #1 boat. you really need to ride the skis and you will see the superjet is the funnest and most playful feeling ski out there, and thats even before any mods! when you ride it the boat practically screams "jump me!" its not the best carver, but that type of riding gets old QUICK!
get a sj and stick to the surf. :Thinkingof_:
This is true... But when I first switched to an sj from the old kawi 550's, the sj seemed squirrely as hell. It takes more than a test ride to realize the benefits. imo.

Also (IMO) I'm a big guy as well. Older kawi's don't/won't do it for me. My sj is only slightly modded but I can't even ride my bud's old kawi.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
arnt the js550's narrower than the 650/750sx??
I'm not sure. But the hull design is (to me) not as big an issue as the power. It's just not there with the old kawi's. Even with mods, SX reeds etc...
I've never ridden an SXR 800. So I can't comment on it.

BTW: I thought the 550 hull and hood were the best for flatwater hood tricks.

Top Bottom