Super Jet Newbs first ski build. 90 SN

Getting real close to being done. I still need to paint the hood. Buy and mount some hood hooks, turf the rails, give her a buff, and I will be good to go. I got the ski started tonight it fired right up. I put the stock pump back in for now but I ordered my solas mag last thursday and will be getting a hooker impeller. I will hopefully be going to ride this weekend and do the fine tuning on the engine.

2013-03-11_01-05-32_68_zpse3b64cc3.jpg

2013-03-11_01-05-44_715_zps8a041107.jpg

2013-03-11_01-05-57_483_zps268cf159.jpg

2013-03-11_01-08-31_628_zpseab42583.jpg

2013-03-11_01-09-47_240_zpsb9f9c2db.jpg

lol the hood will be done before april. I wanted to have the ski all back together so I could ride this weekend. It is ready for paint I just need to have my friend paint it. I have not had a chance to weigh it yet. Anyone have any pointers for turfing the rails? Last year just about everyone I ride with turfed rails came off.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Probably because they were doing it wrong... but thats just because I know the people you ride with LOL.

Pretty simple. Don't paint the rails, scuff with something like 36grit.
Use weldwood gel (you know most of this... but since you asked)
Glue the rail
Glue the turf (If you're super concerned i've heard people let it dry and add another layer of glue on both surfaces. Ain't nobody got time for dat...)
Then lay it on, hammer it down.

One thing to think about before hand is weather you want to wrap it around or cut it at the edge. If you cut it at the edge, I reccomend a 45* or so cut so you don't have much turf hanging off. (If that makes sense)

Of course, heat around corners etc.

When I turfed mine last time wrapped theme all the way under the backside, then ran cocking all around the edges, or u can put a bead of super glue to prevent water and debris from shooting under it, after 2 yrs it eventually started to peel up

Texan33

Yacht Wakes Hunter
Also, Don't put too much glue. That is how the turf in a couple spots on my rails peeled off. Heat gun is your best friend!

Texan33

Yacht Wakes Hunter
Riding pictures from last Saturday down below!

Tyler was kind enough to let me ride his ski a couple times. I was very impressed how well this ski was built. It was a challenge at the beginning which is normal. I got comfortable with it after riding for five minutes. The ski is very responsive and flick-able. It rides a tap nose high when you are going slow but plane out at higher speed. It handled pretty well at high speed even the water was a bit choppy last Saturday. The RRP pole was a bit too long and Tyler is going to shorten it soon. I felt like I could pull off a barrel roll off setup wake easy. I didn't want to do any tricks because it was the ski's first ride and I was too nervous that I could mess it up. After all, the ski handles really good and I definitely like this ski a lot.

IMAG0483.jpg

IMAG0484.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

Last edited:
Great writeup T1. I will finally be painting the hood this weekend. I also have the pump out waiting for my solas mag to show up then I can put the pump and my 9/15 hooker in. It should ride a lot better with that combo seeing I have a 14/19 pitch on the current impeller

Top Bottom