NO LONGER OFFERING Custom Stainless HIN tags

UPDATE: I had switched to 316 stainless after there were rusting issues after use with saltwater with the old tags. Until now (nearly a year later) I hadnt received any negative feedback so I thought the quality issues were fixed. Today I received this pic of some recent tags I sold with severe rusting after use in salt. Due to this I am discontinuing sales of this product. Without any other material option I don't foresee me offering these again.

Those of you with my tags please coat them in clear nail polish and try to rinse them after each use. If anyone is unsatisfied with this product please let me know. Customer satisfaction is my top priority.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Sometimes offering a new product can lead to lessons learned in a hard way. I will do whatever I can to make sure that I carry the burden of that lesson, not you the customer.

image.jpeg

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I'll have to go back and see if mine have fared any better. I know the one on the outside of the ski still looks good but it got washed down after every ride. The one behind the ebox will be the true teller.

Kudos to you for the upfront and honest response BTW!!!

Edit: I looked back at my thread for the stainless type and mine are 304. According to the following document, 316 should have been the better alloy.
http://www.ssina.com/download_a_file/corrosionfinal.pdf

Last edited:
I thought about that. However, My laser is meant for metals. Some lasers mark plastics well but mine doesn't. There are guys 3D printing some nice plastic ones. I thought about jumping into that but I don't want to steal business from them or force them to compete in a market that only brings in about 500-1000 bucks a year.

My only option would be to find a source for titanium tags made to my specifications but I have yet to find that and I have been looking for quite some time.

I'll have to go back and see if mine have fared any better. I know the one on the outside of the ski still looks good but it got washed down after every ride. The one behind the ebox will be the true teller.

Kudos to you for the upfront and honest response BTW!!!

Edit: I looked back at my thread for the stainless type and mine are 304. According to the following document, 316 should have been the better alloy.
http://www.ssina.com/download_a_file/corrosionfinal.pdf
Ya. The original ones I made were 304 and there were widespread issues with those. salt is just such a b***c....

Ya. The original ones I made were 304 and there were widespread issues with those. salt is just such a b***c....

Maybe you could still offer the tags just with this warning attached to them ? I was about to register my ski shortly and then hit you up for a set of these. I don't ride much saltwater and spray my ski down after every ride.

Just a thought

Maybe you could still offer the tags just with this warning attached to them ? I was about to register my ski shortly and then hit you up for a set of these. I don't ride much saltwater and spray my ski down after every ride.

Just a thought
I debated that, I really did. Still am actually. However, you always have that one customer that ignores the warnings, uses them improperly, then complains to the whole world about your product being crap. I don't know if it's worth it for me to risk it.... I'm trying to get my brand going and the last thing I need is for ANY bad press. I'll think it over....

Btw the customer with the rusting issue was extremely kind and forgiving. He responded in a more understanding way than I would ever expect given the terrible experience he had with my product. I am not referring to him.

OCD Solutions

Is it possible that your supplier is just sending you junk stainless? Either that or you are etching too deep and exposing too much iron?.?.?.?

Here's some pics of my 304 tags.

Rear tag;
0e5dc3dd32678b954c780a65a9ee5c70.jpg

In behind ebox;
80ca06795e6c519f5868b4041eacdc4b.jpg

Is it possible that your supplier is just sending you junk stainless? Either that or you are etching too deep and exposing too much iron?.?.?.?

Here's some pics of my 304 tags.

Rear tag;
0e5dc3dd32678b954c780a65a9ee5c70.jpg

In behind ebox;
80ca06795e6c519f5868b4041eacdc4b.jpg
Its always a possibility but I trust that they sent me decent stainless. My laser setting could be the issue like you suggested. It's the only setting on our new laser that produced a black mark that looked decent. The other settings burned the hell out of the tag and left a really rough mark. I absolutely hate our new laser but it's the only one I have access to.

I can try tweaking it but I have no way to test what setting will rust faster. All I know is this one looked the best.....

you should really offer freshwater people the option to buy still! Like in Wisconsin were the only way I could expose it to saltwater is if I travel or sell the ski

Well now OCD has me wondering if rusting would still happen in freshwater due to a problem with my laser setting...I think he is right. I have only marked about a dozen tags with our new POS laser so I don't have good data to prove that this will only happen in salt.

Well now OCD has me wondering if rusting would still happen in freshwater due to a problem with my laser setting...I think he is right. I have only marked about a dozen tags with our new POS laser so I don't have good data to prove that this will only happen in salt.

Let me be your tester for freshwater I'll be riding in late March to early April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCD Solutions

I had it explained to me once that all stainless has iron in it and that the surface is chemically etched to remove all of it in the from the surface and a certain depth of penetration. If you ever remove material and expose the areas that are deeper than the etching reached, you will see rust.

Top Bottom