Other Ok. What should I do?? my wife.......

yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • no

Votes: 21 55.3%

• Total voters
Also, by your rationale, she shouldn't drive a car....or ride a jet ski...or swim in the ocean...or cross a busy street...or downhill ski. Those all have killed people.

Word. Buy the bike, life's too short to hide in a hole hoping never to get hurt. We could die at any second, may as well be having fun when it happens.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Wait till the kids are 18 or so, then they have a better chance of surviving without their mother.

One idiot texting and driving and your children lose their mom. It's scary enough out there in a full size truck these days, never mind a bike.

Sure people get killed crossing the street but that is exponentially safer than being out on a bike surrounded by a bunch of idiots going 80 miles an hour and facebooking on their iPhone at the same time.

You've got the rest of your life to ride a bike. But only a few more years left with your kids still being kids. Be around to watch them grow up.

Offroadie

Living the dream.
I had a bike for 4 years. I miss the hell out of it. If my bank account would agree i'd have another in a heart beat. being a rider its your job to be aware of the motorists and to avoid them. I know because i've been there and i'd do it again.

i respect your views though, however she's an experienced rider watching to scratch an old itch. I say if she's for it, and it's within financial means. DO IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zY99HOziTE

So who's fault was this accident? Did the rider do something wrong?:dunno: I only ask because this very video (coupled with some other things that were going on in my life) was a catalyst for my bike being currently parked. (unrideable at the moment due to the need for a carburetor rebuild due to a lack of riding).

To the OP... (and his wife). Do what you will. I am sure that you understand that motorcycling on the streets is inherently dangerous. Unfortunately MOST of that danger is due to a lack of attentiveness on the part of other drivers. Even the most capable motorcycle rider is not immune to the idiocy that is rampant on the streets today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zY99HOziTE

So who's fault was this accident? Did the rider do something wrong?:dunno: I only ask because this very video (coupled with some other things that were going on in my life) was a catalyst for my bike being currently parked. (unrideable at the moment due to the need for a carburetor rebuild due to a lack of riding).

To the OP... (and his wife). Do what you will. I am sure that you understand that motorcycling on the streets is inherently dangerous. Unfortunately MOST of that danger is due to a lack of attentiveness on the part of other drivers. Even the most capable motorcycle rider is not immune to the idiocy that is rampant on the streets today.

my bike riding career was not extensive...had a KTM enduro for a couple of years and rode it to work and all over town constantly

the biggest fear I EVER had was somone rear ending me.........at EVERY SINGLE stop sign/light EVER my face was in the rear view.....they canno hit you if you are watching

Hell, thats something a good defensive driver is watching for ALL the time....watch the mirror at stops, and watch the wheels at intersections for movement

I actually ride a motorcycle, it's a 2002 Road Star Warrior 1700. Im going to go ahead and say no. Because if I was in your situation I definately wouldn't. Im 22 years old and no kids yet, so I don't really give a crap. I see alot of people saying to do it because life is short.. Well that's sorta selfish.. The day your first child was born you gave up riding because you're kids needed you. They still do because they are still young. Who would take care of them if god forbid one of you got into a car accident? That kind of :):):):) is catastrophic to young children. There's a million other ways in life to get a thrill besides throwing your leg over a bike.

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
Everyone knows that once you have kids, you have zero interest in the things you did before you had kids. :thinking:

Thats just the thing, when you have kids alot of your interests have to take a back seat. Before I had a family I enjoyed doing drugs and whores. Most of the time its a great thing that those interests fade from your mind. Hell, sometimes i feel bad for spending as much as I do on my skis, but the way I see it, im not puting myself in immediate danger, the bills are payed and theres food on the table, and its something we enjoy as a family. I doubt the kids are enjoying the bikes as much as you are. We arent attacking you, we were asked for our opinions and we gave them. Sorry if you dont agree.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Take her to the range and let her start shooting. Hopefully she'll let the bike thing go and take up guns....something that could save her life, not cost it.

Offroadie

Living the dream.
my bike riding career was not extensive...had a KTM enduro for a couple of years and rode it to work and all over town constantly

the biggest fear I EVER had was somone rear ending me.........at EVERY SINGLE stop sign/light EVER my face was in the rear view.....they canno hit you if you are watching

Hell, thats something a good defensive driver is watching for ALL the time....watch the mirror at stops, and watch the wheels at intersections for movement

Really? I was hit by a vehicle that had already come to a complete stop for several seconds behind me. (and by several I mean more than 10) He just spaced out for a second and decided to go while I was still waiting for an opportunity to make a left. Keep in mind that this motorist had already acknowledged my presence (by stopping) and then proceeded to hit me anyway.

(wife) Some of you are speaking from your own fears. Some of you are speaking with no experience (kids or bikes). Riding from 1996 -2010, I know the dangers of riding. I know how to be a defensive rider...done it all my life. I respect the bike and the road...and ride the streets like every person in a cage is texting, eating Burger King and driving with one knee. My husband dives in the ocean and skydives. I never tell him, "Hey babe. You shouldn't do that. What if you DIE. Who would raise the kids?" We don't live in What-If world, do we?

"Wait til their 18 so they have a better chance of surviving without their mother?"

*blink*

*blink blink*

What an incredible statement. I'd reply to that but my eye is twitching......

If you are an experienced rider and obviously aware of how to be a defensive rider. I say go for it if you have the extra cash. Life is to short to be afraid all the time. And I should also add I don't have kids but somewhat understand that rational.

It's not like this is your first bike or time riding. If it was I would say he'll no lol but you seem to be living life to the fullest and you should enjoy your passions and interest. I would go crazy if someone told me I couldn't do something I wanted to:)

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
Hey, when your eye is done twitching why dont you tell your old man to not ask for opinions on a public forum if the responses are just going to infuriate you.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
She's an adult and this is an adult decision.

If she wants it, I say let her get it.

If she doesn't work, then no.

Well apparently telling her the comment in post #5 was what started this. Lol. And I've caught enough sh*t to the point for even starting the thread. This whole thread basically confirms my 50/50 feeling on the whole thing but Jen(wife) does own two successful companies and is a much more responsible rider then i am. I figured her reading this thread would sway her one way or the other and from what she has posted I think we all see which way that went. I loved riding when I rode and you couldn't pay me to give up my skis now.... So I guess we all have our crutches and things that help us enjoy life a little more. It was also made very clear to me that the only reason she sold her last bike (which was in 2010 not 2007 ...... My mistake.....) was so she could start her second business and the bike sale funded part of that. I will gladly LET her do what she wants. Lol

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Thankfully my Wife loves to ski with me so it's a much simpler decision in our house. Bottom line though, she supports everything I ever want to do and i will do the same in return. If my wife wanted to get a bike tomorrow...all I'd be asking is when she wanted to go pick it up.

Thankfully my Wife loves to ski with me so it's a much simpler decision in our house. Bottom line though, she supports everything I ever want to do and i will do the same in return. If my wife wanted to get a bike tomorrow...all I'd be asking is when she wanted to go pick it up.

It very cool to have someone participate with us in the activities that we like to do. My wife is the only reason I'm into skiing right now. Her dad had her on 89 JS 550's when she was 16 or so and when we got married those same skis were sitting in the rafters. I asked if I could ride one and she doled her eyes ...... And said I could try. Well that was it. About the only thing she wont do is dive in the ocean ( cause she scared of the creatures ... Lol). But otherwise she's a pretty good girl

Offroadie

Living the dream.

I share this sentiment which is what prompted me to post in this thread. I certainly wouldn't want to detract from her happiness. Ultimately I would certainly support her if that was what she really wanted to do.

All of my prior posts in this thread are based on real life experience and I certainly wouldn't want anything bad to happen to my wife. That being said... when we married we gave everything that we had to each other and I will stand beside her through all of our decisions in life. We make decisions together and we each take all of the details into consideration when doing so. If when all is said and done... one of us says "I don't care if it's not the absolute 'best' idea... I want to make this decision anyway".. then so be it. At that point you get unconditional support.

pretty clear this discussion is over, no sense in throwing more gas on the wild fire.

She's getting the bike, or BigRed Z is sleeping on the couch. At least that's the vibe i'm getting from her :)

I'm jealous, as i said before I miss my bike dearly and would have one again if i could afford it. AND i have a kid, not that I'm ignoring her presence but having a kid makes you ride a bike that much safer, while still being able to enjoy it.

wooo hoo one less cager on the streets

Top Bottom