Riders getting old?

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
One of the best things we can all do is take the younger generations out riding. I don't have kids (I''m in college) but, kids on the water is a lot better than sitting inside playing xbox or playstation. My parents always made sure I was doing something outside. Dad usual had me wrenching or I was trying to help.

Damn good point. I have an 18 year old son and a 16 year old daughter and without question the best times we have together are when we are out riding. When your 16 year old daughter asks you "So Dad, are you gonna put a pipe on the Blaster this year?" you know you've raised her right.

tom21

havin fun
just turned 39 a few days ago, riding will keep you young. my hero is Bill. he is the surf rider you see every year at Daytona. he also takes some really nice pics of everyone. I think he said he is 76? maybe he was bs'n me but at any rate, keep movin or die!

Life story ahead!!! Fair warning!!!

I'm probly a little younger than most in this sport (I'm 25). My dad bought a couple of Tigershark couches (Montego 640 and Monte Carlo 1000 if i recall correctly) when I was 11 yrs old. That's what introduced me to PWC's in general, and I've loved them since. Around the same time (think I was maybe 12) I got a nintendo 64 and got WaveRace64 when it came out. That game is what hooked me on the idea of racing/riding standups. Shortly thereafter my Dad got in some financial trouble and sold the skis. No more riding for me for a WHILE.

Fast forward to 2001... the gamecube came out... i save up and bought WaveRace: Blue Storm (sequel to the old waverace). Reminded me of the old game and also of having/riding a PWC.

Graduated college in 2003 (at 19). My dad buys me an older (1996) Seadoo gts for a graduation present. Rode the hell out of it and got bored after a few summers. One day I ran into a dude with a 650SX and he offered to let me ride. It was SOOOOO challenging and I pretty much looked like a fool at the park. Ski would fall over every time I tried to stand up in the tray. Even though I sucked I loved every minute of it. Always wanted one since.

on to 2008... I bought a 750sx off ebay from a guy in Ocean Springs, MS. Rode it a bunch of times, met a bunch of other guys who ride (including vomitspot on this forum). Now I'm hooked for life... built another 750, and I'm currently working on a SN superjet I bought from Donald Smith. Right now I've got nothing running... summer's almost here and I gotta get myself in gear.

Last edited:
Life story ahead!!! Fair warning!!!

I'm probly a little younger than most in this sport (I'm 25). My dad bought a couple of Tigershark couches (Montego 640 and Monte Carlo 1000 if i recall correctly) when I was 11 yrs old. That's what introduced me to PWC's in general, and I've loved them since. Around the same time (think I was maybe 12) I got a nintendo 64 and got WaveRace64 when it came out. That game is what hooked me on the idea of racing/riding standups. Shortly thereafter my Dad got in some financial trouble and sold the skis. No more riding for me for a WHILE.

Fast forward to 2001... the gamecube came out... i save up and bought WaveRace: Blue Storm (sequel to the old waverace). Reminded me of the old game and also of having/riding a PWC.

Graduated college in 2003 (at 19). My dad buys me an older (1996) Seadoo gts for a graduation present. Rode the hell out of it and got bored after a few summers. One day I ran into a dude with a 650SX and he offered to let me ride. It was SOOOOO challenging and I pretty much looked like a fool at the park. Ski would fall over every time I tried to stand up in the tray. Even though I sucked I loved every minute of it. Always wanted one since.

on to 2008... I bought a 750sx off ebay from a guy in Ocean Springs, MS. Rode it a bunch of times, met a bunch of other guys who ride (including vomitspot on this forum). Now I'm hooked for life... built another 750, and I'm currently working on a SN superjet I bought from Donald Smith. Right now I've got nothing running... summer's almost here and I gotta get myself in gear.

Story of all our lives!!!

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have seen a 50 year old 20 feet over my head upside down in Daytona.....and rolling in the Niagara!...and if he would not have moved inland I imagine he would still be killing it!!!

wonder who that was?????????

Thanks for bringing back some Great Memories!!!!

Hey ! I'm old ! At 48, I've been on a ski since early 30's. I couldn't ride before, lived in a city, and once I got near water, the ski followed. There are few standups on the Hudson River and I've attracted spectators when the waves get big. Most of those folks don' t know skis, standing or sitting.

Kids love them....but all kinda groan when you tell them new is 5k but you can "get into the sport" for 2k with trailer. Still too much, and water access is not easy due to limited launch ramps in the area.

If you want to do life story...I rode a standup in the Hamptons in the 80's. There was a guy in hampton bays who rented out 440's..No one could stand up except the guys running the rental... Got lots of salt up my nose...could not stand up. I was determined, and when I actually got a 440 (and rebuilt same) it took 15 hours to really stand up. Since then, I've ridden my RN SJ on the Hudson, Greenwood Lake, NY, Long Beach Island NJ, and Matansas Inlet, FL. I've seen a lot of water from a privileged vantage.

My happy place is on my ski, in a set of rolling curls, hitting that green curve.....and there is nothing like it. Not even a powder day skiing out west.

My kids are waiting till they turn 14, when they can ride. Dad has to come up with another ski.

Last edited:
Bought my first 550 and raced in 89. I still suk as a racer but I still have fun, just don't heal as fast. 46, I could still do the spilts, I think like I'm 21 but don't know how I'm supposed to feel at this age because I've never been this old before.

oh you sexy man,what where you wearing last time you did the splits...............lol

Tadpole1975

The clown has no penis!
I was born in 1963 and died in 1995.
c431c27a555841ff20a7dea259acaa7d_e3102807042323.gif

I thought she said "you better wear a condom or you'll get bad grades" Damn it!!!

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
I will turn 39 this Friday. I got my first ski in ´91. At first I rented a SN and that go me hooked. The only thing I could afford back then was a 550. Ran that one for 5 years or so. Then jetskis were more or less banned in Sweden for 8 years so I got out of the sport. Got a ´99 RN in 2006. Then an X2 in 2007. Now I am hooked big time, plus I have the income to support my hobbies. The harder I ride the more I feel my age. I am in very good shape ( I bike a lot, work out etc.) since I do train 3-4 times a week. What kills me is my feet and my back, especially when riding surf. But hey, I can still lay down without my cane....

jetski9010

Team RTYD
I am 24 and got a superjet last year but have been around jet skis and 550's sinice I was 10 or so. Its like you said the younger crowd doesnt even seem to know they still make them but yet whenever you let someone try to ride yours they want one right away. I am in the military and got stationed out in CA and thats when I got my superjet and at that time I was the only one into it. Now I have 12 yes 12 skis at my house from all my friends that got into it. Thats not even all of them some of the other guys we got into it keep them at there house.

SuziQ

Banned
51 year old female here. I ride with augustaf who is 69 I beleive and another dude who is 75!! now that's a role model. He still rips it up about 3 times a week with me!!

Hey and nice to meet you! Are you by any chance referring to the gentleman in the pic below? I am terrible with names, yet I recall meeting him last year while I visited another lake. He was in his 70's I recall, and seemed to be a very nice man (made me smile).

Attachments

• IMG_8268c1.jpg
    IMG_8268c1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 76
21 here

been riding standups since i was 16..back then there were only a handful of sn and 550s on the lake, now there are at least 8-10 rn and some sxr's out there.
for a smaller size lake id say thats a big improvement!

Hey and nice to meet you! Are you by any chance referring to the gentleman in the pic below? I am terrible with names, yet I recall meeting him last year while I visited another lake. He was in his 70's I recall, and seemed to be a very nice man (made me smile).

That's him! Rides a B1 and rides it hard. He's 75, his secret for staying young? Probably never worked a day in his life, he was a drummer!

SuziQ

Banned
That's him! Rides a B1 and rides it hard. He's 75, his secret for staying young? Probably never worked a day in his life, he was a drummer!

I liked him! I didn't get to see him ride, for I was leaving as he was pulling in, but we spoke for a bit. I was with Fox I recall, and quite a few other people. I'm glad to know you guys are riding with him! Let me know if you are ever out this way!

gc4

I'd be lost without the x
I'm 23, have been riding for two years now. Two guys I know on the river here ride too that are younger then me - 18 and 22. They are usually the first ones out on the river in the spring too!

I can't see myself giving it up. When I have buddies over that don't ride, they didn't know stand-up's were still made, but they all love it.

Top Bottom