Super Jet Solas Mag Pump Ate My Bearings- How About You?

Just disassembled a Solas with noisy bearing. Front bearing had turned blue, ate 4 balls and sort of fused itself to the shaft ruining it. Of course since it wobbled it had also worn the new Hooker about .035"- it needs to be rewelded. So far about $300 in parts and I'm still trying to figure out how to sand the bore. - This sucks!

Add me to the list Installed two Solas pumps one with sealed Japan bearings the other with wsm bearings. One started growling after a few minutes the other lasted about 15 gallons of fuel.

I'm taking new bearings and the pumps to a machine shop to get things sorted out.

I am disappointed to say the least!

Before I left my stator sections at the machine shop the machinist measured the bores and they are out of round and have high spots the housings are 1-2 thow off per the interference bearing fit chart. Ill take and post a photo here of the chart when I pick the parts up.

Before I left my stator sections at the machine shop the machinist measured the bores and they are out of round and have high spots the housings are 1-2 thow off per the interference bearing fit chart. Ill take and post a photo here of the chart when I pick the parts up.

Ouch...

Im going through a third drive shaft. Ski vibrates a lot in the tray area and shaft does not spin straight.. When idling it feels like my teeth will fall off.. Could that be Solas problem too? Could a defective pump stator causing to bent the drive shaft?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Im going through a third drive shaft. Ski vibrates a lot in the tray area and shaft does not spin straight.. When idling it feels like my teeth will fall off.. Could that be Solas problem too? Could a defective pump stator causing to bent the drive shaft?

Doubt it. But if so.....then a Skat mag would have been cheaper by now than that Solas, eh?

Explain what you mean when you say the shaft does not spin straight. Where are you seeing this? Has this happened with all three driveshafts you speak of?

Last edited:

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
Doubt it. But if so.....then a Skat mag would have been cheaper by now than that Solas, eh?

yeah, between eating my midshaft, effing up my hooker,
2 sets of bearings, seals, shipping to pump shop back and forth twice,
actually got about a grand in cost (not all mine) in this SOL-a$s paperweight

oh, and the ski was down the whole frickin month of August!!!

Explain what you mean when you say the shard does not spin straight. Where are you seeing this? Has this happened with all three driveshafts you speak of?

When you look through the intake grate and start the ski, you can see the shaft is wobbling. The Rickter has solas 12v pump too and shaft spins perfectly straight. Last time I rode, one of the front pump bolts came loose after 1 hour riding. I suspect it happened due to the serious vibrations at idle speed. I am about to take the pump off again...

When you look through the intake grate and start the ski, you can see the shaft is wobbling. The Rickter has solas 12v pump too and shaft spins perfectly straight. Last time I rode, one of the front pump bolts came loose after 1 hour riding. I suspect it happened due to the serious vibrations at idle speed. I am about to take the pump off again...

I would guess your bearings are completely demolished if you can see it wobble like that. Hopefully it didn't strip out the threads in the hull where the pump bolt screws in. Vibration like that has to be hard on the aluminum threads in those inserts. I wouldn't even think about riding it like that, just my opinion.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Solas will have a booth at world finals and I am told there will be an engineer there. Everyone please visit the booth and tell them about the problem and to fix it and take care of those affected.
The more people tell them the better!!

CRJ

Hibernating
so before i order one let me get this straight. the bearing seats are out of round and need to be cleaned up, and thats basically it? causing the bearings to warp and eat themselves?

Some machinist supposedly said that the housing bore for the bearings is out of round. That is not what I found. - My housings a are too tight- too much interference fit for the bearings. I will not be going to W/F but I hope others will stop by the Solas booth, inquire about the issue and watch the engineer tap dance.

Top Bottom