Super Jet Solas Mag Pump Ate My Bearings- How About You?

john zigler

Vendor Account
ok I just placed my order with Watcon. Solas mag is going into the new superjet. I've heard great things about both the stock +08 impeller and the 9/15 hooker. if the stock impeller is a good combo not sure I should spend the extra cash on a hooker

Thanks for the order John. I will ship your pump today. I have Solas impellers, and can get Skat and impro's as well if you want. Don't forget the spacer ring needed to run a stock rear exit nozzle. I have those too if you want.

IF you want to add to your order please email watcon@watcon.com asap. Thanks again.

After the advice from kevbo in this thread, I replaced the front 6205 bearing with a 5205. If anyone is using this pump behind a high horsepower engine, this is a good mod to do. It involves machining the shaft for the extra width of the bigger bearing but you get a bigger bearing. It makes the pump stronger and has to help with front bearing failure. It is a simple swap to do if you have access to a machine shop and have the pump apart.

Thanks for the order John. I will ship your pump today. I have Solas impellers, and can get Skat and impro's as well if you want. Don't forget the spacer ring needed to run a stock rear exit nozzle. I have those too if you want.

IF you want to add to your order please email watcon@watcon.com asap. Thanks again.
John,
Would you consider assembling mine if I sent you my Solas pump, driveshaft, and bearings? I have all three things,but have never put one together. I do not have the knowledge or tools to check for the clearances. After reading for days about the same problems with the fit, I don't want to have mine blow up after 15 minutes.
Thanks
Mark

john zigler

Vendor Account
Hello Mark.

Yes, please send me an email watcon@watcon.com or call the shop 608-743-1305 so as I can get a work order / payment info for you for service. I can clearance your pump, and fully assemble. I would be happy to help you out.

Well I rarely jump in on these threads but I have an early solas pump and so far it's eaten 3 sets of bearings. For those of you keeping track at home that's 4 sets of bearings once I fix it again, a bunch of my time and effort and nearly half the price of the initial purchase. My failures have been caused by water intrusion.

I've installed the correct bearings and seals, I've machined pieces to be sure I'm pressing in the bearings evenly and I'm no slouch when it comes to this stuff but to be sure I enlisted the help of another member here and we have bad the same results.

Recently we assembled another pump and noticed the seals fit much better than my pump. Not sure what I can do now. I guess I can buy myself a skat or take my chances with another solas. Has anyone had success in getting a new pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ta2esu6u.jpg

My first set of bearings only lasted 15 or 20 min but I think that was due to poor pump alignment. I installed a new set and instead of grease I was told to use 30w royal purple air compressor and machine oil. Suppose ably a bearing manufacture said that we turn to many RPMs for grease. I made sure the pump is aligned perfect and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just run full synthetic 5-20 just to make it spin easier for 3 years now ......... it really wont matter whats in it as long as its not water and its installed correctly ! I know it wont say this in the manual so dont slap me . Let me clairify ..... this is what I do

I am putting SKF 6205-2RS C3 (Made in USA) in mine when it arrives. Going to use the oven(light) - freezer method for assembly

I guess you know the bearing are not going to last long when the assembly comes back to room temp and the bearings are notchy feeling.

Top Bottom