Surfriding Speed and Style Surf Competition 2013 Daytona Freeride

Why not let the crowd be the judge? Hand out ballots and vote for a rider number? Just brainstorming...

Or even let the competitors judge each other. Everyone competing throws $20 in a pot. If you're not competeing, you're judging. If you get eliminated then you still judge. The winner gets 50% of the pot and 2nd and 3rd both get 25% of the pot. Its all for fun anyways

not a bad idea, we will try that when we do the trial run in at the end of March. I have a ride planned already and already have a group of locals that will be simulating competition.

Why not give a section or specified distance and a number of passes back and forth like laps. And do 2-3 runs or heats for each rider This would add some tolerance to the waves and give each rider a more even field. Would also aid in flow and speed I think. Can start one rider at one end while the other finish a last pass and so forth. If done right could be a seamless string of badass riding and give a larger spectator field as well.

Mafia crew must go in order first to establish the standard for judging :)

interesting concept... we'll talk about that at the meeting.

kcmasterpiece

Sweet Baby Ray's Sucks
not a bad idea, we will try that when we do the trial run in at the end of March. I have a ride planned already and already have a group of locals that will be simulating competition.

haha, simulating. you know we're still going to be fighting to the death out there as if we were actually going to win something....ha

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I know your reading and comprehension skills are much better than that... Did you read the thread, or at least my posts?

It says clearly that jumping is not allowed unless it is a surf move, meaning surfing inspired trick. reentry, floater, br-reentry. flip reentry. The trick has to be back toward the beach. A person who goes out and 10 br re-entries will not score well, because you will be judged on your surfing skills. I want high speed slashing and guys trying to get as deep as possible on a wave. Landing behind the wave will ensure you a poor score, or no score at all.

my first post:
Your comprehension skilz are fine! Cause you're right. I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry for the useless post.
Nonetheless, I love the idea.

That is where we disagree totally. The faster and more aggressive you can pull a maneuver and bring style to that maneuver the better you will score. Seems like a no brainer to me. You wanna see guy putting around at 3 mph???

No. But I'd rather see somebody work/ride a wave than see them just dart in and out, hitting lips....speed can take you out of the sweet spot. Sometimes you've gotta slow down and work with it to stay where you wanna be.
A minor difference of opinion.
I'll likely be watching from the beach anyway. lol.

edmoto

Center of nowhere
As a armchair freerider in Wyoming, I may be speaking out my exhaust port here but...

Everything I read and see about "freeriding" now-a-days seems entirely geared toward air tricks. Blowsion videos, a/m hull builders, boobtube videos, etc. But I think focusing on actual surf riding skills minus air tricks is a great idea. Aside from ZB posting a few comments, I wonder what the other world champions and surf slam competitors think about this. Meaning, what would it look like if one of them competed in this new format and was beaten by a guy on a 91 SN, but then a month later they were at World Finals and won there? Would there be any tension or diminishing of the value of the sport? Like how freestylers dislike buoy racers, buoy racers dislike freeride, and so on and so on. It seems like things would be a little awkward if Bubba Joe riding on a beat up, non-sponsored, limited 701 beat the guy who later on wins world finals in "freeride" for doing a superman double twisty-floaty whatever move on a $30K ski? Then again, maybe a little "rocking of the boat" would be a good thing?

Regardless, just be glad you're not another 3 months out til the 12 inches of ice clear on your local lake, and your warmest water temps in August are around 60 degrees.

Your comprehension skilz are fine! Cause you're right. I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry for the useless post.
Nonetheless, I love the idea.

No. But I'd rather see somebody work/ride a wave than see them just dart in and out, hitting lips....speed can take you out of the sweet spot. Sometimes you've gotta slow down and work with it to stay where you wanna be.
A minor difference of opinion.
I'll likely be watching from the beach anyway. lol.

I think we want to see the same thing, just not getting across in posts well.

As a armchair freerider in Wyoming, I may be speaking out my exhaust port here but...

Everything I read and see about "freeriding" now-a-days seems entirely geared toward air tricks. Blowsion videos, a/m hull builders, boobtube videos, etc. But I think focusing on actual surf riding skills minus air tricks is a great idea. Aside from ZB posting a few comments, I wonder what the other world champions and surf slam competitors think about this. Meaning, what would it look like if one of them competed in this new format and was beaten by a guy on a 91 SN, but then a month later they were at World Finals and won there? Would there be any tension or diminishing of the value of the sport? Like how freestylers dislike buoy racers, buoy racers dislike freeride, and so on and so on. It seems like things would be a little awkward if Bubba Joe riding on a beat up, non-sponsored, limited 701 beat the guy who later on wins world finals in "freeride" for doing a superman double twisty-floaty whatever move on a $30K ski? Then again, maybe a little "rocking of the boat" would be a good thing?

Regardless, just be glad you're not another 3 months out til the 12 inches of ice clear on your local lake, and your warmest water temps in August are around 60 degrees.

the scenario you posted here is impossible, since there is no freeride comps at WF. I kinda understand what you are saying but those guys who are top freeriders are not there for no reason. they can surfride very well too. also, if they get beat then that just shows that there is a reason to have this comp even more. To Showcase other riding skills besides jumping and there are more riders than we think out there that can rip.

edmoto

Center of nowhere
Thanks, Yamaslut. I got my competitions mixed up (WF no freeride vs surf slam, so on), but I'm glad ego shouldn't be a problem. As I troll through people's posts and their linked videos, I can see a great number of folks who've got some real talent, and talent not based on a PV stroked motors or minus -50,432 inch a/m hulls. Your idea to have competitions as you've outlined strikes me as getting back to the basics. And for that I think it opens up far better opportunities for the average joe to get more involved. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the posts and vids of alot more surfriders!

Last edited:

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
*Sigh*
Rickter or 550 you still just have to be able to surf well in any conditions that may be there. The criteria is not unfair or biased for certain skis or riders, its just different.
I'm open to anything this contest requires, lets just ride damnit!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, i'm only about 20 minutes away, if you would like help in the practice(s) for the dry or wet runs let me know. I'd also be able to do video during these if it helps any? I have 3 hd cams but only 2 tripods if needed.

hardly ever but yeah i have FB, better luck finding me here though. And i was not looking to ride( i suck on the surf) but more geared towards assisting in the pre runs to help work out any bugs that may arise so that when the real deal happens all is smooth for you and whoever is staffing/QB'ing @ the event.
But either way I'm Nikon Man on FB

This is low res upload, and one old camera had a gouge on the lens from a bike wreck but,..... if once things look worked out and running smooth i don't mind doing some editing as some kind of a nicer preview.No $$, just as a way to help in any way i can. yeah i know it's not a ski vid, just showing i can edit a little bit if needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Ej8NsTdvw

Last edited:
Top Bottom