Surfriding Speed and Style Surf Competition 2013 Daytona Freeride

R

ridethelip

I like this Idea yamaslut
How about a 15 minute window longer for finals maybe 30 minutes and a buoy to race around at the beginning to see who gets priority . substitute freerider for surfer.

What is priority and how does it work? Prority is mandatory in all one-on-one heats. The surfer with priority has unconditional right of way for both directions on the wave selected. The surfer without priority cannot take off on the same wave as the priority surfer, regardless of direction of distance between them, unless the surfer without priority does not hinder the scoring potential of the surfer with priority, in which case the surfer without priority will score a zero. At the start of the heat once the first wave has been ridden, the remaining surfer in the lineup gets automatic priority. A surfer will lose priority once they catch a wave and their hands leave the rails as they attempt to stand up. In the event that both surfers catch waves to the inside, the first surfer to reach the lineup will be awarded priority. Priority is indicated by colored discs at the event site.
The priority rule serves several purposes. First and foremost, the priority rule attempts to eliminate hassling for waves. Without priority, surfers would have nothing to keep them from fighting for waves with their fellow competitors. The priority rule allows surfers to focus more on their surfing performance instead of hassling their opponents. Secondly, the priority rule makes judging easier by deterring surfers from taking off on the same wave. With the encouragement of one surfer per wave, the judges can focus better on each individual ride. Finally, the priority rule allows for a tactical element to exist in competitive surfing. Surfers tend to become much more selective of their wave choice in order to retain priority for the optimal amount of scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Surfriding seems to have become an ambiguous term.

Either you're talking about "air tricks" or "wave riding skilz". This thread does not make it clear what is desired.

I can only assume that it's all about "air tricks" because of the previous reference to BR's and BF's.

Some way, some how, surfing comps are judged. And nobody does a backflip on purpose.

Last edited:

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
GREAT idea Nick. Judges should have an idea of what it takes to surfride, but not have bios on the riders, that creates an impartial bias.

Draw up some tentative rules, see if you can get the Pismo riders to test them out this spring.
First year make it an exhibition for invited riders only, work out the rules then expand to have a "sport/WB1" class and an amatuer pole ski class.

Get a few years down and then you can add a legends category for the Mafia riders

Surfriding seems to have become an ambiguous term.

Either you're talking about "air tricks" or "wave riding skilz". This thread does not make it clear what is desired.

I can only assume that it's all about "air tricks" because of the previous reference to BR's and BF's.

Some way, some how, surfing comps are judged. And nobody does a backflip on purpose.

I know your reading and comprehension skills are much better than that... Did you read the thread, or at least my posts?

It says clearly that jumping is not allowed unless it is a surf move, meaning surfing inspired trick. reentry, floater, br-reentry. flip reentry. The trick has to be back toward the beach. A person who goes out and 10 br re-entries will not score well, because you will be judged on your surfing skills. I want high speed slashing and guys trying to get as deep as possible on a wave. Landing behind the wave will ensure you a poor score, or no score at all.

my first post:
I came up with this idea during this years freeride after watching the racing and talking to some people. I really think it will be an awesome addition to the ride. It will be a freeride comp w/ no jumping, no tricks except surf inspired maneuvers.

You will be judged on your wave riding skillz only. The only type of jump that will be allowed will be re-entries (jumps going toward the beach). You will be judged on execution, speed, style.

This will be something totally different from any other comp out there in stand up jet skiing. This will be only for standup, no x-2 or Blasters.

I already have sponsors that want to be involved, so everyone start working those turns cause this is all about holding and edge at high speed and adding style to your maneuvers

You putt around looking for waves, you will be docked points... The goal of this comp is to bring true surfriding skills to the table and display different styles that people ride.

You know as well as me that speed can be your enemy as well as your friend when working waves.

Style...I can deal with. Fast does not make it good.

That is where we disagree totally. The faster and more aggressive you can pull a maneuver and bring style to that maneuver the better you will score. Seems like a no brainer to me. You wanna see guy putting around at 3 mph???

GREAT idea Nick. Judges should have an idea of what it takes to surfride, but not have bios on the riders, that creates an impartial bias.

Draw up some tentative rules, see if you can get the Pismo riders to test them out this spring.
First year make it an exhibition for invited riders only, work out the rules then expand to have a "sport/WB1" class and an amatuer pole ski class.

Get a few years down and then you can add a legends category for the Mafia riders

I like the way you think... This is something that will need to be tested and reworked a few times before it is proper. HA HA on the Legends...

That is where we disagree totally. The faster and more aggressive you can pull a maneuver and bring style to that maneuver the better you will score. Seems like a no brainer to me. You wanna see guy putting around at 3 mph???

Fast and slow Depending on the waves. A day with big closeouts can mean very fast approach and tricks also slow waiting for it to reform.
The great thing about speed is that it can get you down the line to almost any section of the wave at anytime.
I dont know how speed could really be worked into the scoring.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
The conditions will dictate, to a certain degree, what you are judging on. Scoring big wave riding will be totally different than ankle buster conditions.

DangerBoy

Runs with scissors
Site Supporter
I do want TC to judge it, Scott Watkins would be great too.

I almost think we need to do some type of pre-qualification for this. I don't want to see some guy out there flailing around for 6 min just cause he wants to be in a comp. Or should I make this invite only?

just limit it to FX-1s we know thats were all the talent is:shooter3:

kcmasterpiece

Sweet Baby Ray's Sucks
it sucks when you realize this event isnt for almost another year.... i say you should organize a trial run Nick, with the locals or riders near-by. Mostly to get timing and organization worked out. And probably get some input from riders and judges to see what works and what doesnt....

also because this i a comp id like to see and i dont think i can wait a year. lol

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
My thought on the basics...Surf riding is all about being SMOOTH & FLUID....with whatever maneuver you try to pull off. MOST of the time, excessive SPEED can get you into trouble (make you look spastic on recovery and crash). I personally DON'T ride fast in Daytona because of the TRAFFIC. It isn't a RACE out there...or is it? Where's the buoys? You can still make LOTS of SPRAY even while riding/ carving slow on a wave...that's technique. (don't get me wrong, I like to ride fast too, just not in the crowded surf)...(ok dock me -2 points).

This surf comp thing is a good idea for the most part, and will be tough to judge fairly. Especially if there are only certain allowable tricks on the "menu" that will given + or - points for. But what the heck...it's supposed to be fun right?

Let's not forget Lots of Pix & Video!!!

.02 cents

ntrsspray

I do DUMB THINGS!!
it sucks when you realize this event isnt for almost another year.... i say you should organize a trial run Nick, with the locals or riders near-by. Mostly to get timing and organization worked out. And probably get some input from riders and judges to see what works and what doesnt....

also because this i a comp id like to see and i dont think i can wait a year. lol

I think Dan should try it at Wavedaze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom