Other Sunk Ski in Lake Erie...how do we find it...

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
What about a semi-large fishing boat that uses the large nets to dredge the water? Drop the net and dredge the bottom of that whole inlet.

Those nets are illegal on Erie for fishing...so I doubt we could find one around here. We dragged a cable between two couches hoping it would snag, but nothing. We could have EASILY missed it though. Good idea though.

Tomorrow AM: Boat with Sonar
Tomorrow PM: Diver with cables

Nice...can't wait to hear more about it. FWIW, my idea is more along the lines of "salvage" rather than "prevention" like yours, so assuming I can make this work I shouldn't be stepping on your toes. :)

FYI for everyone on here. I touched on this a little on my sunk ski thread, but this one seems to have more attention so I will explain it here. The past year and a half, I have been diligently working on finding a solution to sinking skis. So I have come up with several ideas and designs and have tested them all. I currently have a patent submitted that covers them. I am in the prototype stage as of right now, and I am meeting with several design/prototype firms to get several legit products made so I can have beta testers to test out my product. A little insight on the products is, one is a manual system, that is deployed when you know your in trouble. While the other is 100% automatic and brings your ski just below the surface and allows you to hold onto something, and stay with your vehicle until help arrives. These systems will protect your investment, no insurance needed, if you can even get it. Just a one time deal, and you will never have to go through what I went through, what Tanner went through and what Zach is going through now. I have several business competitions I will be attending, along with a KickStarter Program, to raise money, to produce my product and get it out to you guys. I will keep you guys updated, and I just want to let everyone know I am working very hard to get this done ASAP, so this can stop happening!
Jordan

yeah, there's nothing magically floaty about foam. It simply occupies volume so water can't. Think of it as air that can't get pushed out...that's a good thing.

I really hope you find it. This thread has inspired me to start working on a beacon / locator system. Don't want to say much more right now, but if I can scare up some funds I'll be working on a prototype over the winter. Thinking of how I can add 3 means of detecting / locating a sunk ski as a good insurance policy, without being intrusive on the ski.

so, yeah...I know that doesn't help find your ski, but please don't give up. It's down there somewhere...
Don't know how well it would work in water but I use avalanche transceivers all the time during the winter. Maybe get two, throw one in a pelican case and sink it on a buoy and see how far you can get signal. If that works its just a matter of getting them waterproofed and making a nice ski mount.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Don't know how well it would work in water but I use avalanche transceivers all the time during the winter. Maybe get two, throw one in a pelican case and sink it on a buoy and see how far you can get signal. If that works its just a matter of getting them waterproofed and making a nice ski mount.

You'll have maybe a foot or two of water (being extremely optimistic) before you run out of signal. Water is an excellent shield for RF.

You'll have maybe a foot or two of water (being extremely optimistic) before you run out of signal. Water is an excellent shield for RF.
Yeah you appear to be correct. 457kH (avy standard) is way too high to go anywhere in water and very low frequency needs large antennas. So yeah MYTH BUSTED.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Yeah you appear to be correct. 457kH (avy standard) is way too high to go anywhere in water and very low frequency needs large antennas. So yeah MYTH BUSTED.

PSSSH... build one on a ELF (extremely low frequency) and build a 1/2 wave antenna in the pole. Done!

Maybe the U boat commander Jett can chime in?

I could be talking out my a$$.

orrrrrr, put some flotation in your boat.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
VLF antenna lengths are on the scale of hundreds of yards. You get about 60 feet water penetration.
ELF half wave antennas would be approximately 2,000 miles long.
A typical 36 inch handlepole will make a good half wave antenna for a 166MHz signal. You might get half an inch of water penetration if you're transmitting at least a couple Watts.

Want to build a transmitter you can locate underwater? Build an acoustic one. Just a simple ping device. You can pick that signal up for miles, and it would be easy to locate.

Last edited:
VLF antenna lengths are on the scale of hundreds of yards. You get about 60 feet water penetration.
ELF half wave antennas would be approximately 2,000 miles long.
A typical 36 inch handlepole will make a good half wave antenna for a 166MHz signal. You might get half an inch of water penetration if you're transmitting at least a couple Watts.

Want to build a transmitter you can locate underwater? Build an acoustic one. Just a simple ping device. You can pick that signal up for miles, and it would be easy to locate.

I was thinking about this a bit more. An acoustic/strobe light beacon that could be epoxied to the sides of the ski with a pressure actuated switch would probably work well. Put one on the nose and each side of the ski. That shouldn't be too expensive to build.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Three out of four lost and never recovered boats that I know of personally were Superjets with foam.

Then why run a lightweight battery, its only 10lbs...start adding it up...

Too many people are too conceded with weight. Yeah it adds up, but as 227 said some things are pretty much just mandatory. I can see going after a lightweight hull and what not.

It's like saying your only going to run half the lug nuts on your rims. Just asking for trouble.

I'd put 10-30 pounds on my ski and still have then not have it at all. *Note, this doesn't apply to all things, i.e girlfriend.

I've been doing a lot of reading on "underwater gps" after threads like this started popping up.

The problem with them is... There is no true underwater gps (that I know of). They all have some time of antenna or something (like this) to gather the GPS data. GPS data can only be transmitted from above the surface.

Not to mention that this would allow you know know where you are underwater with your 60 ft antenna but thats not going to help people find the ski. This device, if attached with the ski would be no better than a line or string attached to the ski with a little floating buoy.

Not bashing. Just throwing it out there. I've even looked into locating beacons and what not. Have not had much success.

"tethered to a floating antenna"

YUP!

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Too many people are too conceded with weight. Yeah it adds up, but as 227 said some things are pretty much just mandatory. I can see going after a lightweight hull and what not.

It's like saying your only going to run half the lug nuts on your rims. Just asking for trouble.

I'd put 10-30 pounds on my ski and still have then not have it at all. *Note, this doesn't apply to all things, i.e girlfriend.

Penny poor and pound foolish , I think so, oh and I also wanted to post this valuable video

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom