The Waternut Stunt hull build

Waternut

Customizing addict
surprised it doesnt ride nose high. try any setup wakes or anything?

Oh of course. No problems there. My only problem was I'm used to giving it a specific hop and that hop plows the nose into the wave so most of my jumps were crap. Honestly...I have a similar problem with a stock hull though. The only difference is that I can sink the back end of this ski easier than a stock hull.

I was also struggling with some cavitation or something. If I let the rpms drop down too low, it felt like the pump has a stick stuck in it.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Alright here's the video. Like I said... Very crappy but you can at least see that it doesn't ride nose high and I'm able to turn it without any real effort. Hopefully I'll have better video by the end of the week. I've got a Go Pro camera but haven't figured out a good way to mount it. Probably should've used that today...

Last edited by a moderator:

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Did the pump have a stick in it? LOL!

I'm so glad to hear that it doesn't ride nose high. It sounds perfect so far.

and by the way.......I TOLD YOU SO!

Waternut

Customizing addict
Did the pump have a stick in it? LOL!

Possibly... You can hear it at certain times in the video. I would've gone back for one more video but I was cold and came in for a warm shower instead of investigating further. I was fine but my feet were killing me.

Waternut

Customizing addict
looks good. what do you think is causing the cavitation? ill try to get a vid of me riding if i can get mine going tommorow.

The rideplate doesn't cover the pump seal. I guess Dan's intake grate covers that area and mine doesn't. I'm betting that's the problem. Hoping that's the problem and not something more serious. I'll scarf the rideplate tomorrow and glass in that gap. I also need to glass the battery plate down. It popped off today so obviously I didn't do a good job on that.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Congrats man!
Could you tell it was lighter on those few hops? It looks tiny with a rider!

Yeah it definitely feels lighter. It rotates backwards really fast too for as flat as it rides. It took me a couple weeks to really like the SJ after riding the 750 for so long and it took half the summer for me to get good with it. So obviously there is going to be a learning curve with any new hull but the riding style on this hull is closer to the SJ and much easier to learn than even going back to the 750 that I spent so much time on. Time will tell for sure but I'm happy with it so far. Just have to work out a couple kinks specific to my situation.

It is real . Nice job John . It does not ride near as nose high as I would have thought . How can you argue with video . Almost forgot .......... Shane told you so .

Last edited by a moderator:
lol nice. yea this gets me real pumped to ride mine even though the water is way colder than 54. ill have to run out and get a battery for mine but other than that im game.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Johnny......nice work. U are a man on a mission when it comes finishing skis. I was just telling Mcdog about how I was "jones-ing" for riding season. Lemme know if you want to borrow that dry suit.

you ever think of shoving some foam down the gun whales? If remember correctly your running no bulk head as that is the way it came from dan. How would a scupper work with no bulk head? Well I can think of how it would work but i just want some clarification

Waternut

Customizing addict
The scupper without a bulkhead is so simple. You drill a hole in the back of the ski, glue a scupper in, and you're done. No PVC pipe, no special fitment, no drilling foam, etc. I have considered sticking some polyethylene back in the gunwales but at the same time, I don't know if I could get enough in there to even keep the ski afloat anyway. One day when I'm bored, I'll try to measure the volume back there. One sheet of polyethylene will float 60 lbs and I couldn't get a full sheet in my flatdeck SN but that was a flatdeck. Maybe I could get 3/4 to a full sheet in this ski but it's shorter and I would still need to keep the scupper drainage in mind. Maybe coke bottles...maybe air bladders...maybe some of the other crazy stuff people brainstorm about but never try.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
one sheet will float 60 lbs????

i used the 2 inch thick poly , and maybe half the sheet

does that mean I am only going to float 30 lbs??

I dont believe that , I am going to go float my boat and see what happens ..

Top Bottom