The Waternut Stunt hull build

Waternut

Customizing addict
I plan to put dual scuppers in so I'm not 100% sure on what I'll do for the exhaust but since I'm not going to be running a bulkhead, I'll probably just run a straight tube. I plan to run it out the back if there's room or do a side exhaust that's right near the back.

Rich, did you buy a hull as well?

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Waternut, let me start off by saying I am proud for you that you now have your hull and hope it's what you want in a ski.

With that said, any builder should have enough pride to not let something like that be seen by the public. 2 hours time would have made a world of difference in the 'initial' appearance. I realize that you can take the same 2 hours and do it yourself, but where is this guys pride? I have not slammed this guy at any time and I do like the fact that he is trying to fill a void in the a/m hull market, but dayum!!!

Now, with that said-get r done and have a blast!!! I love the wide tray design!!!

Gil,what you said is correct.l got the kit and it looked exactly the way l suspected.But the flip side is price.l've had several members bash on Dan's work.ln all fairness to the guy,l think some of the fabricators out there should look at one up close and personal before makeing comment.Has anyone done this yet? No,maybe the finish work is not the best,but again price comes into effect.

l am borrowing an opinion from a member that was made to me.Any of us that bought one(stunt hull) have been able to break into an aftermarket hull without the big price.l did not want to spend $4000 to $8000 for a hull.And whose to say that the other hulls that are for sale on the forum are going to stand the test of time and abuse."Time Will Tell" So let's look at the Stunt and other hulls after a season of abuse a year from now and hey,the stunt may fall apart,too.

The other part of me buying one was actually seeing if l could do it.l have no experiance in fiberglass work.So,along with learning(and makeing mistakes,too) l am enjoying putting together "my" ski.lf l get anything out of this experiance,it will be the first ride and the pride to see the job completed! Does that sound too corny?

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'll have to check on the build up thickness later. It varies and the hull is upside down because I'm gluing the pump shoe in place. The engine mounting plate is 1/2" thick though.

Ya i bought one shortly after you did. Havnt really posted anything mainly just pm's to a few stunt owners. Im not running a bulkhead either. i mainly do flatwater. And i wanted to give dan a chance and trust in what he says. He seems to be going alot bigger then i will and he has no problems. But you pretty much have to run some kind of bend in your exhaust tube for it to fit around the footholds. I am running side rear exhaust and dual scuppers. I started out buying a kit then realized i am going to be deployed unt9il mid ride season and i am having him put it together.

haggis

its raining again!
I cant help but think that if they had lengthend the front of the hood and shortend the section down to nose it would look a little more in proportion.
But at the same time the hull def looks like it will be a good freestyle platform and you cant argue with the price.
Cant wait to see one finished, good luck!

Waternut

Customizing addict
Did a lot of bondo work yesterday to smooth out lots of spots on the hood and around the lip on the nose. Then I plowed through the whole thing with a dual action sander to get the majority of those nasty imperfections out.

Attachments

• 100_7255.jpg
    100_7255.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_7256.jpg
    100_7256.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_7257.jpg
    100_7257.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 851
  • 100_7258.jpg
    100_7258.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_7259.jpg
    100_7259.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 158

Waternut

Customizing addict
Followed up immediately with a quick wash and the first coat of paint on the top deck and hood. These are kind of close up because I immediately moved them inside and out of the elements.

Attachments

• 100_7260.jpg
    100_7260.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_7261.jpg
    100_7261.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_7262.jpg
    100_7262.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 178
looks real clean to me!!!!!! ohwell you had to do a lil prep work to make it clean to save you 1-3k!!!! now get it done an ride it!!!

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Dang it looks good. That was unreal fast. I didn't even get to see it yet. You may be my paint guy and my bodywork guy.

I guess I'll be turfing that biotch. LOL! I want to see it this Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon if you are around.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Thanks guys. I got to this stage pretty quick but I'll probably be painting for the next few days so there won't be any major build up for a while. Destruction goes fast, it's that whole waiting for paint to dry BS...

Kevin is planning on dropping by on Wednesday to check it out.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I do think people will have a better impression of the hull after seeing it even where it is now as opposed to when I took delivery of it. I'm just hoping the weather cooperates this week so I can get it painted without having to zip lock the garage. Even today was a little difficult because I had to keep waiting for the wind to die down.

The ski definately looks alot better. I cant wait for mine to get delivered. From the looks tho it wont be awhile. I dont get back until may anyway. I take it you do body work/painting. Cause that was fast. Did you hull come with anything to mount the battery box and tank? Or are you just going to glass them in? Seems like the pump install is going to be the worst part.

Hmmm....dan really didnt tell me that. Maybe because i changed from a kit to a complete hull. I will have to ask him. So did everything come ready to bolt in?

Last edited:
Nice Work cleaning up a disaster.:fing02:

is this really Rivets holding the top and bottom halfs together ? :scared:
attachment.php

Top Bottom