The Waternut Stunt hull build

Waternut

Customizing addict
I do want to get some people's opinions on the pump shoe. These hulls don't have the screw mounts like a standard hull. I used fast cure 5200 around all the edges and on the inside between the shoe and the hull. It didn't fit perfect so I used a little hammer action and I used some sheet rock screws temporarily to hold it in place while the 5200 cured.

Do I need to bolt the pump shoe in place or will the 5200 be plenty? Remember the intake grate mounts to the shoe.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I got some stuff done today but not a ton and no pictures. Mcdog and sportfish came over to check it out. After they left, I put 1" foam on the bottom of the tray, added padding on the gunwale tops for elbow comfort, and drilled the holes in the back for the scuppers. I also managed to add the most horrendous looking hood seal ever. I'm too embarrassed to even take any pictures of that. I may rip it out and try again. I think I should've just put the seal on the hood.

750sux

im also interested in how this compares to the BOB.

also, you said your gunna be running 2 scuppers and no bulk head? so theres no pipes goin to the scupper valves and it will be all open under the tray and footholds? thats interesting if so.... have you decided how and where your gunna run the exhaust outlet?

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Well I got some stuff done today but not a ton and no pictures. Mcdog and sportfish came over to check it out. After they left, I put 1" foam on the bottom of the tray, added padding on the gunwale tops for elbow comfort, and drilled the holes in the back for the scuppers. I also managed to add the most horrendous looking hood seal ever. I'm too embarrassed to even take any pictures of that. I may rip it out and try again. I think I should've just put the seal on the hood.

l bought an octane seal from watcon some time back for another ski.l went ahead and laid it on the the stunt and it seem to fit just right.Make sure whatever you decide to stick on that you use some 3m Adhesive Promoter on the ski.

tom21

havin fun
octane and sj are the same seal. I would use superglue for the seal. That's what the factory uses and it won't let go

nice paint job and color. Looks like dodge viper blue. I've used that before and man is it bright in the sun!

Waternut

Customizing addict
I used contact cement and that's why the seal is so awful because I couldn't wedge it into the gap properly. I'm sure I'll rip it off eventually but not sure if I'll rip it out immediately or later in the summer.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
On your hood , does it require a hood seal like the superjets ? one that lays in the valley?

On the hood I made the liner sits on the outside of the lip all the way around the hood seal making a pretty good seal with out any material. I ll add some thin material to mine .

I assumed that on the H/R hoods that the liner would seal in a similar fashion.

Waternut

Customizing addict
It wouldn't require a hood seal like the superjets but it will require a thin seal to pick up the imperfections. The hood does slip over the taper on the hull and sits pretty flush but I figure every little bit will help keep water out.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Progress continues... Turfed the rails and installed the scuppers today. I used some cheap 2" plastic scuppers that cost about $10 each and put 5200 on to attach and seal them up. If they break or fall out, I certainly won't be heart broken.

I also added a couple layers of carbon over the engine mounting plates. They may or may not hold up the way they are. However, the way I see it, these are critical stress points on the hull in every imaginable scenario and therefore the consequences of having them fail are very serious and I could potentially lose the entire hull if they do fail. Therefore, I've added a bit of reinforcing to them. May add more later...depends on how much of a warm fuzzy feeling I get from this reinforcing.

The footholds that came with the hull are nice in a way but I don't think Highroller believes in padding. If I wear tennis shoes, I can barely get my size 9 foot in the hold with no turf or padding. Luckily I despise wearing shoes so I have a bit more room to play with. However, with only 1" padding on the bottom, I still can't get my entire barefoot in the hold. If I put my weight on the padding I probably could though.

Attachments

• 100_7290.jpg
    100_7290.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_7292.jpg
    100_7292.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_7291.jpg
    100_7291.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_7294.jpg
    100_7294.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_7297.jpg
    100_7297.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_7298.jpg
    100_7298.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 100_7299.jpg
    100_7299.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I also added a couple layers of carbon over the engine mounting plates. They may or may not hold up the way they are. However, the way I see it, these are critical stress points on the hull in every imaginable scenario and therefore the consequences of having them fail are very serious and I could potentially lose the entire hull if they do fail. Therefore, I've added a bit of reinforcing to them. May add more later...depends on how much of a warm fuzzy feeling I get from this reinforcing.

The footholds that came with the hull are nice in a way but I don't think Highroller believes in padding.

Hmmm... seems like you are having to do a WHOLE LOT of work to this hull to get it up to par. :confused: I guess if I had spent that kind of money on a hull, I would expect it to just be ready to rock and roll right out of the crate... You're doin a great job and I don't mean to bash the builder, but am I the only one that thinks it should have been a bit cleaner from the start???

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
You get what you pay for, and this is by far one of the cheapest options out there.
This isn't a put-down, btw. I would expect to have to do a significant amount of work to a kit hull that's rather inexpensive.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Ya I see your point. Guess that helps keep the cost down. Just curious if he knew that going into it?

I knew some of it but not all or really even most of it until after I put my money down. In addition I learned of some things after ordering but before my hull was finished that I got sorted out in advance.

I am trying to keep this a fairly unbiased build while primarily providing only facts. So.... I can't ignore the bad facts. I haven't taken any pictures of the really bad stuff mostly because I don't want this thread to turn into a bash/flame fest. However, the hull itself may be stout but there are certain things on the hull, hood, and footholds that a 10 year old using fiberglass and resin for the very first time with minimal instruction could've done better. :sad6:

Sometimes that extra little bit of time makes all the difference in the world. Anyone here ever see a girl for the first time after she crapped her pants and puked on her clothes and thought... "That's the girl of my dreams"? A few minutes changing clothes before you saw her wouldn't make her perfect but the first impression would be drastically different. That's kind of the way I feel about the hull. It's still what I want in a hull but some of this stuff is starting to light me up. Maybe I'm just getting tired because it's late...

Last edited:
I knew some of it but not all or really even most of it until after I put my money down. In addition I learned of some things after ordering but before my hull was finished that I got sorted out in advance.

I am trying to keep this a fairly unbiased build while primarily providing only facts. So.... I can't ignore the bad facts. I haven't taken any pictures of the really bad stuff mostly because I don't want this thread to turn into a bash/flame fest. However, the hull itself may be stout but there are certain things on the hull, hood, and footholds that a 10 year old using fiberglass and resin for the very first time with minimal instruction could've done better. :sad6:

Sometimes that extra little bit of time makes all the difference in the world.

I'm certainly not trying to bash anyones work at all!! I'm just following the build to see the positives and negatives so that in the future I can be educated when I finally decide to buy a new hull. As long as you knew what you were getting into and it's something that you wanted, them more power to ya!

Top Bottom