Other The What is your biggest Rookie move on a build.

onlyFX-1

Jace Forest...BRAP!
I wanted to turn the pump on but didn't know if that was a good idea.
Instead we had a gas can with some gas in it, ran a hose from the can to the bottom of the hull, turned the can upside down so more gas went into the hull then quickly turned the can rightside up and it created a siphone filling the can with gas from the hull

Last edited:
Got too stoned one day and thought I would fill my buddies ski with gas before we rode and forgot that it was an internal fill, so the gas cap was just a hole in the ski so ended up filling 5 gallons into the hull.

Another time stoned again couldn't figure why my ski would only fire and instantly die, f-ed with it for an hour or so couldn't figure it out brought it to a friends house and realized the choke was in the on position, fml.

Killin me laughed so hard almost had some green tea outta my nose.

******************************EMEGENCY SAFETY MEETING*********************************

Last edited:
Got too stoned one day and thought I would fill my buddies ski with gas before we rode and forgot that it was an internal fill, so the gas cap was just a hole in the ski so ended up filling 5 gallons into the hull.

Another time stoned again couldn't figure why my ski would only fire and instantly die, f-ed with it for an hour or so couldn't figure it out brought it to a friends house and realized the choke was in the on position, fml.

Lmao, based on your avatar pic and these two incidents if u get too stoned and ride you might stab off one boat wake and land on the boat behind it. :) j/k

Last edited:

subhard

TITS OR GTFO
Dropped my SXR out of the back of my truck, no damage though thank god. What tanks

Tried to gelcoat over epoxy, waited weeks for it to dry (never did lol)

Forgot bendix spring, ran fine, but I put it back in anyways.

No loctite on FA adapter bolts, they ended up in the manifold, reeds did a good job keeping them out of the motor.

Over tightened my throttle cable and couldn't figure out why it would run away.

Wired up a bilge switch before feeding it through the pole tubing.

Got a couple first i just rebuilt my ski and when i got done went to start it and the starter was bad so i wanted a new starter quick and thought i would buy a old broke waverunner III and brought my trailer and forgot straps. I have a little stand up trailer so the ski did not fit well. All i had was a rope so i hooked it too the front of the ski and thought i would take it easy. I was almost home when i came around a corner in town and the ski slid off the trailer still hooked on by the rope whipping around like a sled being pulled by a truck and slid all the way around into my truck denting it. So after a few min two guys helped me get it back up.

Second i was adjusting carbs on my sj and thought i was just gonna ride it slow in the no wake and was tired of taking the hood on and off so i just left it off and came in hot to the dock and because the water was cold i did not want to get wet and i just jumped from the ski to the dock but the water rushed into the hull filling the engine. New prob now

there is many more

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
Well, I bought the below Kawi some years back from an older guy in Kentucky sight unscene (just pics and hearing it run over the phone per my father-in-law). My father-in-law happened to be in the same area on a hunting trip during the same time I was negotiating with the previous owner so I didn't have the chance to physically look at it or check the compression with a gauge.

So, all went well with my father-in-laws delivery and the ski was truly mint. But when I put my compression gauge on it, it was pretty low.., crap! So I buy Wiseco pistons, take it all apart, have a local shop bore and hone it to the new piston specs, I reassemble, then I test with my gauge..., crap, low compression again!

Well, turns out the gauge was bad confirming this after I buy a new one (30 bucks).

I'm sure the original pistons were fine so I did the work and spent the cash, and had mental anguish for nothing!

Doh! :rolleyes: :clown: :17: :banghead:

Last edited:
on my first turf job i had my stoner friends help and i (not stoned) had the idea to heat up the turf with a propaine tourch to make a corner bend easyer. all of a sudden theres a little flame in the corner, so i tryed to blow it out and then it jumped to the whole tray of glue setting up and then jumped up to the whole tray turf setting up upsidedown on top of the hood, so my entire tray is on fire and a big piece of turf on top of the hood is on fire! i look around for my friends to help, they were just standing next to me and they just bolted straight out of the shop. i was like gee thanks guys! i looked around his shop for something to put the fire out with and the first thing i grabed was another piece of turf. i threw the burning turf off the hood and used the piece i grabed and kind of rubbed the fire in the tray out. oops!

Last edited:

djraider700

lol wut?
ski started up and ran for about 30 seconds then died. swam it back to the beach, opened the hood and looked everywhere for the problem. couldn't figure it out, so i got frustrated and trailered it back home only to realize someone turned my fuel selector off.

great prank by the way.

bought my first ski, second time out i decided to let my buddy try it out(im at our river house btw) i go up to the house, grab a beer and head back down... 5 minutes later i see my buddy walking up the beach to me and im like wtf? "did it run out of gas?"

"no i sank it" thank god it was only a 550sx

Blew up a pp 550 from it running away before i knew what the hell that was

dropped my squarenose out the back of my truck on main street the one and only time i ever didnt tie it in. The 650sx next to it that I could care less about it stayed in the truck of course.

Used to prime my skis with stock FA by pulling the in line and dribbling the fuel in. One time it was warm and it shot alot of gas out when I pulled it off. Go figure right. Buddy grabbed hood to set it on, something arced somewhere, BOOM flames all over everything. In the panic of trying to put it out, I burned the crap outta my hand, and my buddy dumped a gallon of gatorade all over my entire bay. Fire was put out with only minor damages to some wires, ski itself was fine, and is now repaired thank god.

This is a good thread, makes me feel alot better, and is helpful for knowing what not to do. Never would have thought lots of other people caught a ski on fire once or twice

Ran my first XP without any flame arrestors. I put it on the trailer and happened to have an extra long tie strap holding the ski to the trailer, so, the easiest thing to do was to lift the seat up and stuff all the excess tie strap into the engine compartment.... tie strap went down in the carb, I cranked her up to make sure she was cleared out, tie strap went into rotary valve, bent the valve and sheared the brass gear on it... lesson learned

schicks

Karma Enforcer
was having an issue with needle and seat sticking open and flooding the engine out. Pulled the plugs and had the great idea to ground them on the block and turned the engine over. Well, a geyser of gas shot out and started the ski on fire!..didn't see that one coming. Took my shirt off and was able to snuff it out without to much damage.

jacintoacuna

Ill quit before i sit
okay i got some

. buying an aftermarket starter and bendrix and it jamming up on you after a few rides lol (strickly stock now)
. buying a square nose superjet from a guy in phoenix i was so excited about buying it i didint notice the vin number were grinded off and when i go to the dmv with that ski and just a bill of sale with a made up vin number then to find out its a stolen ski so i just gave the guy 1500 and the cops a new ski and i was left with nothing
. sellin my reliable 650sx
. installing a trd waterbox in my friends 800 working on it for about 4 hours then swallowing our pride and finally taking the motor out
. my friends mistake ! he wanted power so this is how he spent his money a trd waterbox, blowsion green hoses , velocity delta reed , prop with wrong pitch on stock motor he bought all this and was pissed nothing helped . but what was i telling him the whole time a pipe intake grate and prop and youl be happy.

Top Bottom