This melt down just might have me stumped..

CRJ

Hibernating
Didn't yet! Think we've narrowed it down to being lean, but I'm gonna grab a small mirror so I can check the upper reeds without taking the mani off. The lowers are fine.
i would split the cases and check bearings while its apart, never know what metal could have made its way down there.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
i would split the cases and check bearings while its apart, never know what metal could have made its way down there.
I've inspected it the best I possibly could and it looks fine from what I can tell. But there has to be a chemical to use to flush the cases without splitting them and pulling the motor out..

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Fill with gasoline, shake, pour out, repeat lol add some oil

Don't do this.
Doing something like that is better than spending the time and money installing seals and sealing cases. I just hate to pop open my perfectly sealed cases if I don't have to.

Ducky

Back in the game!
If you are still waiting on your piston kit for another couple days, you might as well tear down the bottom. Do it for peace of mind.

Now that I think about it, the rinsing with gasoline should work pretty well, then use air to blow around the bearings and rinse again.

Honestly when I seized my top end, I just redid the topend and it had been running fine for a couple years

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
There ya go! Just make sure the solvent won't hurt your seals.
Yeah for sure! I don't truly think you'd even need parts cleaner/solvent tank necessarily though, but having one doesn't hurt lol.
Is there anybody else that can chime in on what method they've used to clean sealed cases? I'm digging the idea of a parts washer/solvent tank but the one at our shop is nasty and would need a lot of cleaning to even make me want to put my cases anywhere near it..

Big Kahuna

Administrator
a525a3737e2c474dacbad08ffb902628.jpg
3ca8c00964a9793d842994d2c07c9c4b.jpg

This will hone out.... wonder if the crank is safe to use.

550headache

tobacco grower
open the cases! all it will take is 1 small overlooked stowaway to wreck your new topend! a gasket and tube of yamabond is cheap insurance! re use your seals...

You said it was bored,last year
What was the pc clearance set to then. And what was it when you reassembled it ?? With the limited pics and 8 pages of? (Spacecowboy) you may have another direction to consider,

My buddy was on the fence about splitting the case on a sled motor after a burn down comparable to yours. Decided to split them and check bearings. Seemed perfectly fine until you wash all the oil out and then you could feel the grit from the burn down. Ended up getting a new crank. You can skip it and maybe be fine for this year or forever, who knows. Or maybe it won't be and a year from now your crank bearing goes out and takes the rod with it and mangles your ported top end beyond repair as well as the Pistons. Might as well kiss the domes good bye too. So... If you have the time, split the cases. If you don't have the time, make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom