What MTB to get and how much to spend?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I'm looking at getting a mountain bike for trail use. This will for sure not be used for on-road riding. I have a Trek FX 7.3 for that and it gets plenty of use.
I want to take it camping with the kids and ride non-serious trails with them. I may very well get into it a little heavier myself though - so trails could get more challenging.
I don't foresee any aerials or anything that would require a freestyle type bike.
I like having a quality bike, so I am okay with spending a bit of money on it. I've ridden cheap bikes before and can't stand them.

From the research I've done, a full suspension setup would be overkill and perhaps counter-productive. Disc brakes are also not strictly required. I do just fine with the v-brakes on my Trek and can't really see myself riding in the rain where the disc brakes might have an edge. I am not opposed to it, either, but I don't want to compromise on other components just to get disc brakes.
To me, it seems I would do okay with a well-built XC bike.

So what do you think I need to be looking for? Should I consider used bikes?
I am not a bicycle mechanic by any means, but it would probably be good to learn.
I really don't want to spend more than $1k max.

Along those same lines, I am also looking to buy a similar bike for an eight year old. Trail use and some on-road use. Suggestions? He's hard on his bike. He's worn out two rear tires in two years (he really likes skid marks).

norcal ex

X-H2
If you want a hard tail it does not matter to much what you get. A lot of the $$$ and geometry is in the rear suspension. I like buying 1 or 2 year old used bikes because they usually sell for half of retail. I used to ride specialized but now I am on Trek because I like how they feel.

I know you do not want full suspension but I have a 2011 Trek remedy 9 for a trail bike and love it! I do not like pedaling with the pro pedal on so I always leave it in the full travel mode. In norcal we have a lot of technical trails and the full suspension is more of a safety factor for me.

My fun bike is my trek session 88 though =) ....(not a trail/all mountain bike)

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I forgot to mention: I do want a 29er for sure.
I've looked at BikesDirect and a lot of Bike Forum people seem to snub their nose at them. What's the deal?

I forgot to mention: I do want a 29er for sure.
I've looked at BikesDirect and a lot of Bike Forum people seem to snub their nose at them. What's the deal?

Some pedal bikers can be very snobby, and will snub their nose at whatever they think isn't "in" or "cool" for the current month, whether or not it makes any sense. Everyone I know loves their 29ers, hardtail or full suspension. Most of our trails are rocky, so i'm sure that plays a huge part in their opinions.

Picking the right bike is pretty frustrating. So many choices. The best decision I made was to pick up some lights and go night riding. That is a good time!

Last edited:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
They are online only. Most long-time bikers have a shop that they prefer and shop owners hate online retailers, hence the snubberations.

However, they do have a few brick & mortar shops now.

The frames are well built in the same factories that build most mass produced bikes in the world and components are components, so you just pick the frame, size, and component level you want. Bike fit though is the main issue and you have to assemble just a little and maybe adjust the shifters. For some people, fit and assembly are what they pay their local shop a little extra for which is not a bad thing either in my book.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
There isn't much here for LBS, unfortunately.
There's REI, but they are always overpriced and don't have much selection. (And yes, I am a member)
There used to be a decent shop where I bought my Trek FX three years ago. I was very happy with their mechanic's work, too. Unfortunately they closed a while ago.
There's another one that I will not do business with because they disappointed me very hard on another bike purchase a few years ago.
That leaves one more, and they're more geared towards road bikes. Which I wouldn't mind picking up, but my Trek FX is a pretty road-bike oriented hybrid and it serves the purpose well enough for now. I use the FX mainly for commuting, about 75-125 miles/week. But I do like taking it on extended weekend rides, too. Yesterday's was 80ish miles.
I figured I might take a road trip to either Seattle or Portland for bike shops and most likely a Craigslist purchase. There seem to be deals to be had in used bikes that are pretty nice.
I like buying quality, but I don't need to buy above my level, either. I paid about $700 for my Trek FX three years ago - I think that's considered pretty low mid-level these days. Deore components throughout. But with a few sensible upgrades I've made (28mm Gatorskins, rain guards, rack, lights) it's the perfect, always reliable commuter bike that never drops a beat and does extended trips just fine, too.

Www.jensonusa.com is having a nice sale on complete bikes.

I prefer Specialized bikes. They seem to have a level for everyone and are one of the very few bike manufacturer that gives a lifetime warranty on the frames.

Good luck. So many options. Worse than skis. Lol

SM

Last edited:

SuperJETT

Good luck. So many options. Worse than skis. Lol

SM

That is so true, so true.

Matt, sounds like a bikesdirect bike would work well for you then. Grab a Fantom 29 at whatever price level you feel fits and go from there.

My wife rides a Trek FX 7.2 WSD, we bought it used for $300 with less than 50 miles on it, not a single scratch. They are great bikes. She loves hers.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I spent quite a bit of time on BD today.
Then I grabbed Sam (my middle son) to look at a couple of LBS's today because he's in need of a new bike. With him, I really need to get it sized in store and have him pick one he feels comfortable on.
Went to the road bike oriented shop and as suspected, they didn't have much. They had a 24 inch framed youth MTB that was too big for him.
Went over to REI and they had a Novara Duster 20 inch frame, six speed youth MTB that looked pretty good and he liked it.
On a whim I went to the LBS that disappointed me a couple years ago. I found my favorite mechanic from the other, now closed store working there now. That was a nice surprise.
Anyhow, they had this, a Specialized 20 inch, six speed youth MTB that seems of great quality. Sam was instantly comfortable on it. It's a bit more than the Novara, but like I said - this kid is HARD on bikes.
Then I saw a medium frame, 2012 Specialized 29 Comp and hopped on it. I felt instantly at home on it - the geometry works really well. This is the 2013 model. The 2012 is reduced to $940.
Best thing is, the paint schemes are matching between the bike Sam likes and this Comp 29.

I want to think it over for a couple of days and read up on the bikes. Does anyone have anything to say about those two bikes, or Specialized in general?
Thanks.

PS: Also went out and bought a lawn mower after I finally killed my 2003 Scotts self propelled. It had a hard, very rough life. I thought it was about to die 5 years ago, so I haven't bothered to change the oil since then. Heh.
Got a close-out on a basic Honda self-propelled. Nice mower.

Mountain bikes are like skis in the fact that it is best to invest your money in frame and suspension and worry about the other stuff like brakes and derailed, etc down the road. That rock hopper is a nice entry level bike. Burm you might want to look at seeing if they have a 2012 model of this:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/carve/carvecomp

Better frame, much better front shock, better brakes. I have heard of people getting them in the 1100-1200 range. Plus, the Carve is the Stumpjumper from 2 years ago, Specialized top of the line hard tail. A buddy of mine just got one nd it is a really nice bike for the money. It's basically a good set of after,arket wheels from being a great mtb.

Either way, like I mentioned earlier, at least with a Specialized, you get the piece of mind of having the lifetime warranty on the frame.

Good luck,
Scottie

SuperJETT

Specialized (Hot Rocks are the 20" I think) are great bikes. Very similar to our 7 year old's Fisher Precaliber (I converted it to 9-speed trigger).

http://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/ several threads on the Hot Rock there.

The Precaliber with 9-speed cassette and XT short cage derailleur: (I also modded the fork to lessen preload further than the adjuster would allow since he was only 40lbs when he started riding it)

2012-02-03_16-54-50_625.jpg

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I like the Trek/GF Collection 29'rs. They are very comfortable. If you think you may really get into it, spend a little more than you planned to so you can get the better forks, brakes and wheels. The Specialized are nice also. Just try and test ride as much as you can. If you liked the Rockhopper Comp, look at the Carve, few bucks more but you get more for your buck.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I agree on the specialized hotrock, but I recommend a 24 inch bike for your son. My son ust turned 9 last month and has been riding his for a year. He has been using clipless pedals and shoes for six months. It has an aluminum frame so it is lighter than most any other bike for the money. I got his off ebay for less than three hundred shipped.

I love my specialized rockhopper 29er. I have never had any problems with it and like it better than my brothers trek 29er.

I know this is not super helpful but its my .02

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I agree on the specialized hotrock, but I recommend a 24 inch bike for your son. My son ust turned 9 last month and has been riding his for a year. He has been using clipless pedals and shoes for six months. It has an aluminum frame so it is lighter than most any other bike for the money. I got his off ebay for less than three hundred shipped.

We tried several 24 inchers for him yesterday. They are just too tall. Even without considering the seat, his feet don't touch the ground when he's straddling the frame at the lowest point. He's a short kid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom