What MTB to get and how much to spend?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Welp, I went and bought the Hotrock and the 2013 Rockhopper 29 Comp. Little more than I wanted to spend, but the changes from the '12 model convinced me.
Had them install some Shimano SPD's and lifetime warranty tube/slime/tire combo (in both bikes).

I was in a hurry to get to the uni campus, so I rode it straight from the LBS to campus. Nice ride. It's getting trail time this weekend.

osVS7wz.jpg

P8JD7fF.jpg
yQGrL78.jpg

Last edited:

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Never owned a specialized frame but love their road tires, shoes, and saddles. Their body geometry line of products are second to none.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
The one thing I don't like about them is their willingness to sue for any perceived threat to their brand. They have hurt some small businesses just by threatening a big lawsuit because the small businesses know they can't afford to defend their brand.

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
If heard of the tubless but wouldn't there be more of a chance you get a flat? Also whats the process for doing this mod.

Matt congrads on the 29er! Very nice pickup and agree hitting the trails is an insanely good cardio and leg workout

wydopen

onthepipe
go big

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sjfsr/sworksstumpjumperfsrcarbon29

edit: guess i should have read the thread...u already got one..

im riding an upgraded 2010 giant reign...thing is so fun..climbed 3400ft on saturday no problem..all singletrack descent..so fun..

back in the day when i raced dh i never pedaled up because back then the bikes were either too heavy on the way up or wouldnt survive the rock sections on the way down..this thing is a perfect blend between a dh bike and xc bike...

my buddy got the carbon stumpy 29er and he digs it...he was a pro freerider back in the heyday of mtb freeride so he knows what works and what dosnt and he really likes that thing..i guess for 10gs it better be good

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
If heard of the tubless but wouldn't there be more of a chance you get a flat? Also whats the process for doing this mod.

Matt congrads on the 29er! Very nice pickup and agree hitting the trails is an insanely good cardio and leg workout

Nope. Less chance. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367511998.679210.jpg

I rode about a mile out after this. Never went flat. I have burped one tire and lost air. Just re-inflate.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
We tried several 24 inchers for him yesterday. They are just too tall. Even without considering the seat, his feet don't touch the ground when he's straddling the frame at the lowest point. He's a short kid.

I didnt think of that. My son is tall for his age. Your son looks pretty happy on his bike. Im sure it will serve him well.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I think you made a great choice for your bike too. You can do anything on that bike except maybe xtreme downhill.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Took all the kids out on a first trail ride. There's a decent set of flat trails in a river delta 1.8 miles from my house. Perfect.
Again, thanks to all of you for your advice. This was a whole family activity and EVERYONE loved it.

Pics are up on facebook for anyone that's got me as friend. Shouldn't be many that don't.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Matt, you'll like the rockhopper. Specialized makes great mtbs. It was between specialized and motobecane when I was buying a MTB last spring. I think I would've been happy with either (bought the motobecane).

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
i've got an older RockHopper (not sure of the year) but, thoroughly enjoy it. I need to get the McDog and Pablo and go ride. i havent done anything special with it.Should be a good choice Matt

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I managed to get a nearly new 2009 Trek 4300 WSD for my wife today. She has a decent cruiser, but it's comfortable only for short distances.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Stock saddles suck. So I bought a Brooks because it looks hipsterish and because it is just damn comfortable.

Actually, the B17 I ordered is intended for my Trek hybrid commuter. But I put it on the Specialized because I will be riding it far more than the Trek this weekend.
I do intend to order another Brooks - probably the narrower Swallow - for the Specialized next week.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368159508.810758.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1368159508.810758.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 50

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
A B17 on a mtb...

hipster+fixie+1.jpg

I have a friend who has a fixie rigid 29". He tried to get me to clip in and try it, I ran away and cried.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Hey now, there is nothing wrong with with clipping in. Before I took possession of the bike, I had the shop pull the stock pedals and put some clip-less on. Awesome. I am just used to it.

Top Bottom