650/X-2 winter x2 build

Hey guys, Sorry it has been a while. Got caught up in icefishing for the last few weeks.

SO I got tons of work done on sunday. I am starting to move my way from 40 grit to 300+ grit. I am still smoothing out just a few small areas on the ski. I am hoping by the end of this month the ski will be ready for primer. Once I can start painting the ski and getting stuff bolted on there will be more pictures. I would post more pics of the process right now but nothing really changes from time to time.

I got my new bars ready with all of the new stuff on them but the bad news is there is a dent on the bars on the bend by the finger throttle hopefully I can do something to fix it. but let me know what you think of the overall look so far. The plan as of right now is just a plain gloss white ski with white and bright blue accents. then under the hood I am keeping you guys edvise and going to keep the motor and part the same color just might freshen the paint up a bit. I also Have bright blue diamond cut and white diamond cut turf just cant decide when to put what color.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Trust me it feels alot better than it looks!

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Looks nice. Did you glass in the little squares on the top of the hood? I can't tell but I would. You never added that drain away from your steering. It's ok, you'll just have to dry it out with a towel. Bars look sweet. White goes nice with that blue. Any plans on the paint? It'd probably be pretty sick if you can paint match your bars and put some sort of design on the ski in that color.

This might be a stupid question but what little squares are you talking about on the hood (I am guessing I just forgot)? And I have the drains all planned out I was going to finish all the body work then I will install it. I was going to wait to do the drain right before primer so I dont have to weary about body filler getting in the drain. SO far the paint plans is just a white ski with no decals or anything. But who knows It might change again tomorrow lol. I was shooting for a debadged white truck look if you know what I mean. But throw me some Ideas. I was thinking about doing a vintage shape (zig zag, fansy strip, something you would see back in the 80's) in a 1 or 2 tone baby blue on a white ski. I think with the bars and turf it will make it look modern so I was thinking it would be cool. let me know of ideas though!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The two squares in the top of the hood you can push out with your thumb. They can be seen in both the 2nd and 3rd pics postedf above. They sit in there with rubber. They are not really needed. My understanding is that they are there incease the ski blows up, they release the pressure instead of blowing the hood off. Yeah, ok... Not sure of any real purpose of them. You can glass over the hole and shave that area of the hood smooth.

How about getting a decal printed at a place that does wraps or something. A big "X2" with the same stlying as the last year X2, but done in a blue to match the other blues on your ski. You could tape it off and do it with paint. Maybe some other kind of stripes or lines. Just some thoughts. Nothing wrong with solid white. You could buy blue pissers, bow eyes, bilge outlets. Your odis look nice in silver contrasting the bars, but the other aluminum parts in blue might give you some good contrast. Heck, maybe even just blue reg numbers will give you some pop. Again tho, nothing wrong with solid white, just some alternative ideas. My Superjet is going to be solid black with silver hardware once I get around to taking off the stock decals.

Oh I got you! I tried taking them out and they were not comeing. I even tried pry bars and hammer and it just cracked a face on the one so I gave up and figured if my engine blows up my hoods coming before those pop out. I filled the edges with glass jelly. I was guessing this would be enough.

I really like the last x2 idea I didn't think of that one! I was think maybe a modified version of the 93 graphics would be cool too.

I also was over at my dad friends house and he was checking out my new 750 and he convinced me to enter a few races this summer. SO can I just run numbers or do they have to be a full plate with proper back color? I would race in vintage x2 class or what every they would let me run in I guess.

I made this for my cover page in my businuss graphics class thought I would post it to see what you guys think. As of right now this what it will look like except the blue turf will also be dimound cut like the white foot trays. I just got tired of makeing every individual line so I stopped after I got done with the white. I am hoping to make some work on the real thing tomorrow!
attachment.php

Attachments

• jetski Final 1.gif
    jetski Final 1.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 55
  • jetski Final 1.jpg
    jetski Final 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 703

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Oh I got you! I tried taking them out and they were not comeing. I even tried pry bars and hammer and it just cracked a face on the one so I gave up and figured if my engine blows up my hoods coming before those pop out. I filled the edges with glass jelly. I was guessing this would be enough.

I really like the last x2 idea I didn't think of that one! I was think maybe a modified version of the 93 graphics would be cool too.

I also was over at my dad friends house and he was checking out my new 750 and he convinced me to enter a few races this summer. SO can I just run numbers or do they have to be a full plate with proper back color? I would race in vintage x2 class or what every they would let me run in I guess.

Use the base of a wood hammer, a wooden dowel, or some other round object. You don't pry them from the outside. You punch them out from the inside. Don't worry about it if you are happy with them.

You could definately race it. I am now wishing I had my X2 in Daytona this year and had entered the race. I don't think I would have won but my ski (more so than my riding ability) would have had a chance to be competitive.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I made this for my cover page in my businuss graphics class thought I would post it to see what you guys think. As of right now this what it will look like except the blue turf will also be dimound cut like the white foot trays. I just got tired of makeing every individual line so I stopped after I got done with the white. I am hoping to make some work on the real thing tomorrow!
attachment.php

I like it, but you might have a hard time getting all of the colors to match. Finding turf to match the bars would be most difficult. The seat can be covered any way you like it so it would probably be close enough. You could have reg numbers cut out of vinyl to match. It might be cool to have "Kawasaki X2" going down the side of the hood (the narrow part infront of the bars so it's seen from the side). It might also be cool if you just did "Kawasaki" down the hood (again the thin area on the sides of the hood) and a big "X2" on the larger area of the side of the hood. Vinyl can be very expensive to have cut though.

So I have white turf then I also have baby blue sheet too so I am set on turf. I have not decided on graphics yet. In the picture all the blues are the same but They wont be perfect when its done. I will try getting it close but I relize it wont be perfect. Thanks for all of the support!

TheCoz43

Jet Surfer
My X2 Winter Rebuild

jet ski 317.jpgjet ski 322.jpgjet ski 331.jpgjet ski 330.jpg
I was in the middle of rebuilding my x2 when I read your blog this afternoon. I got so inspired that I went and cut 3" off the back and moved the steering back 5" also. Your step by step photos and everything were awesome. I hope this all works out. My motor is only a 650 but with lots of mods. It is at the machine shop being bored a little. I liked your idea of moving the gas tank to the seat, but that would be hard. What do you guys think about putting a smaller battery (lawn mower/motorcycle) and mounting that under the seat instead? Do you think it will have enough power to start my engine still? How much glass can I remove from under the seat while still maintaining strength? How much glass can be cut from under the hood also? Where did you order your handle bars from?

Thanks,
Dave

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
View attachment 173146View attachment 173147View attachment 173144View attachment 173145
I was in the middle of rebuilding my x2 when I read your blog this afternoon. I got so inspired that I went and cut 3" off the back and moved the steering back 5" also. Your step by step photos and everything were awesome. I hope this all works out. My motor is only a 650 but with lots of mods. It is at the machine shop being bored a little. I liked your idea of moving the gas tank to the seat, but that would be hard. What do you guys think about putting a smaller battery (lawn mower/motorcycle) and mounting that under the seat instead? Do you think it will have enough power to start my engine still? How much glass can I remove from under the seat while still maintaining strength? How much glass can be cut from under the hood also? Where did you order your handle bars from?

Thanks,
Dave

You can run a smaller battery. Look up the kinds of batteries the Superjet and aftermarket free style hulls are running. I can't tell you exactly. You shouldn't run a smaller battery if you have a ski with starting issues.

You can look up my X2 build thread to see how I did my battery. It fit under the seat just fine, but is pretty tight. As for strength, I couldn't tell you. My X2 is surf/bouy and doesn't get inverted. You wont likely need to worry about the strength of the seat if you are not inverting nor pancaking the side. Regular riding and surf slashing shouldn't cause a problem. In any case, you can make up for whatever you remove with reenforcing but just know that adds weight.

View attachment 173146View attachment 173147View attachment 173144View attachment 173145

Thanks,
Dave

Looks like your x2 will be sweet! My plan was to do the gas tank under the seat but it was going to be a ton of work to do that properly.

UPDATE-

So last week, a local body shop let me move my ski in to his heated shop out of my 30*F storage! So I have taken alot of the bondo off and alot of the ski is down to glass right now. Then I also just ordered 2 yards of carbon fiber and alot of epoxy so I am planning on doing carbon fiber reinforcing on the inside of the ski mainly for looks but will be some good strength for the front where I cut the bond rail off. I will be working on it every night next week and will try and post some pictures. I am hoping to have it ready to be glazed and then primer in a week in a half. maybe a little longer since I am doing the carbon fiber on it.

Thanks, can't wait to race you! (750x2 vs 800sxr) You will probably get me though

What about me with the nitrous injected 650sx?! :Banane19:

Looks sweet. Can't wait to see it......and actually meet you in person lol.

Top Bottom