Yamaha Octane build

my pv lamey was a 8mm stroke 84 mm bore, it was a nice performing motor but it didnt have the power of this one. my new one pulls harder significantly and my hull and motor combined is cheaper than the lamey engine by itself (not counting time). Even though the whole package is heavier, it feels light. I'm not saying this would be the ultimate flatwater competition freestyle ski, but it is exactly what i wanted for all around freeriding. The more time i get on it the more i love it. I feel strongly that a larger platform fits the higher horse motors much better. The wider stance and hull make this very comfortable, I've had 3 other superjet guys ride this and there was no learning curve, everyone adapted quickly and loved it also. Thanks again for your advice steve.

Last edited:

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
my pv lamey was a 8mm stroke 84 mm bore, it was a nice performing motor but it didnt have the power of this one. my new one pulls harder significantly and my hull and motor combined is cheaper than the lamey engine by itself (not counting time). Even though the whole package is heavier, it feels light. I'm not saying this would be the ultimate flatwater competition freestyle ski, but it is exactly what i wanted for all around freeriding. The more time i get on it the more i love it. I feel strongly that a larger platform fits the higher horse motors much better. The wider stance and hull make this very comfortable, I've had 3 other superjet guys ride this and there was no learing curve, everyone adapted quickly and loved it also. Thanks again for your advice steve.

Anytime tom:biggthumpup:
When I decide to build my own 66e motor, I'll be calling you for some advise

this ski just might be the perfect setup....

I have a feeling a sxr bottom about this weight ski, would be even better. I've heard rumors about sxr hulls that are too light have issues, don't know if its true or not, havent ridden one, but can understand knowing the handling issues lightweight superjets have. Malone changed from octane bottom to sxr bottom and he would know what is a better setup. However, i'm pleased with my build so far and dont really want to try anything else for a little while. Since i took this season off from riding, i've got some catching up to do

Jumper

What! What!
I had a chance to ride the ski today. Thanks Tom. It is a pretty sweet setup. It carves well, but you can slide it out also. It pulls hard, but is controllable, and stays hooked. It can be hopped easily and is easy to get crazy air on. You can launch it on command. The build is even more impressive in person. Very well thought out and executed. Congratulations gentlemen! Can't wait till Saturday. Maybe we will get some wind for a real test!!!!

Oh, by the way, the growl this engine makes is pretty cool too.

The carnage has begun, the aftermarket carbon ride plate i cut down turned out to be a pos. It broke off during the first 2 minutes of a choppy day at the lake. So I decided to make my own. I don't mind buying a ride plate but i want to try out 4-5 different lengths and a couple of different shapes and it just gets too pricey to order that many. I splashed a rideplate that i had and liked, made a mold, put it in a simple wood frame and laid up the first plate. The first plate is going to be about an inch longer than my hull with a straight back. I layed red dyed epoxy resin,shorter than the mold because my plate is considerbly shorter than a superjet plate. This wouldn't be the best way to make plates for production because i will have to hand trim around the outer edge of each one, but it was easy and should work well enough for the plates i want to make for myself.

Attachments

• octanerideplate 003.jpg
    octanerideplate 003.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 88
  • octanerideplate 001.jpg
    octanerideplate 001.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 104
  • rideplate.jpg
    rideplate.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 111
Sides stuck a little bit, on the left side, kinda bad on the right side. I must need to do more sanding on the mold before i try again, however I think a little filler will fix it well enough to test. It leaves a nice definate edge for trimming. Not perfect, but I'm pleased for my first molded part. I think i'll make it a little thicker too and lay a layer of tex over the final layer. I might even try some gelcoat on the next one also

Attachments

• 1rideplate 001.jpg
    1rideplate 001.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 1rideplate 002.jpg
    1rideplate 002.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I set it back in the mold and added a couple more layers of cloth and a final layer of texilium, I'll trim it, fill the flaws and drill holes tomorrow. Hopefully test it on sunday. Its got 8 layers of cloth (4 are 17 oz biaxial ) and 1 layer of texilium.

The next one will be much higher quality, learned alot today

Attachments

• texiliumride 001.jpg
    texiliumride 001.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 81
  • texiliumride 002.jpg
    texiliumride 002.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
trimmed it up, drilled and counter sunk holes and fitted it to the ski. Its ready to ride. It might be layed up a little too thick, it hangs down just slightly, but at least it should plenty durable. I decided not the fill the imperfections, they were to minor to affect anything.

Attachments

• newrideplate 004.jpg
    newrideplate 004.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 101
  • newrideplate 006.jpg
    newrideplate 006.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 64
  • newrideplate 001.jpg
    newrideplate 001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 68
  • newrideplate 002.jpg
    newrideplate 002.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 76
  • newrideplate 003.jpg
    newrideplate 003.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 124

Jumper

What! What!
Rockin! Way cool! Hey, when Chad is finished with your Dyno, can you overnight it down to Orlando. I need to get numbers on mine. :147:

Top Bottom