Yamaha Octane build

RiverRat

i want that setup soooo bad, but i'm settling for this...for now.

I think a 2-2.75in shorter 08 Sj hull would be quite nice as well. Longer strakes on the bottom like the SXR, larger footprint on the nose like a X-jet or SJ w/ tubbies, and a pump assembly that is set further back like the EME. I would love to try that set up. I think the deeper straikes and wide hull are the ticket on big HP motors

this build didn't original start out this way, i tried to buy a plain fiberglass empty sxr bottom hull from bobby for this build but he didn't want to sell just the pieces. I was going to run the sxr bottom with the octane top. So i bought a nice sxr hull, cut the top off and was going to run the octane top on it.

those two parts are so far from fitting together it's not even funny. It would take so much upper deck modifiying to fit them, i might as well make a new top deck. In addition, the bottom oem sxr piece is over 70lbs bare! I think a sxr bottom'd, 150-160 true horse with gobs of torque powerplant,280- 290lb ski would be a nice freeride ski, ( not flatwater competition boat). Which happen to be just Like an eme 800, however the nearly $30k tag is hard to stomach, and i get a huge amount of satifaction from doing things myself.

Really light hulls handle very differently. My rev was a 65lb hull, you could jump it to the moon but landings were very hard (real bouyant) and any thing but glass conditions it was a hand full to hookup and control. My friend's lightweight.de hull handles differently because of it's weight too. I know super lightweight is the goal for competition boats, but again its not my goal. Surf riders are blessed because, an nice reinforced oem hull and a stroker and you have the ultimate setup.

pics of our riding conditions

Attachments

• cheney (2).jpg
    cheney (2).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 152
  • windyday0604 023 (2).jpg
    windyday0604 023 (2).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 202
  • windyday0604 015.jpg
    windyday0604 015.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I think a 2-2.75in shorter 08 Sj hull would be quite nice as well. Longer strakes on the bottom like the SXR, larger footprint on the nose like a X-jet or SJ w/ tubbies, and a pump assembly that is set further back like the EME. I would love to try that set up. I think the deeper straikes and wide hull are the ticket on big HP motors
i like the design of the new sj but its skinny at the back, sxr would be wider and easier to control in the heavy chop, there's a reason why eric's dominating, granted he's an outstanding rider, but his game went to a new level when he left the sj platform and started riding more larger more stable, crazy hp skis.

Awsome Posts! Very informative.... And that goes along exactly with what I have noticed with my boat on both surf and Flatwater!

I am at around 270lbs no fuel.

The boat is much more bouyant, as it is very hard to get the nose to come down when landing from a wave, or in a tailstand.... even with the pole a -8.5" overall.

I realy like the light weight though as far as throwing the boat around, doing roles, and backflips... lighter is better, but again, its hard to ride out clean at times.

I think I have my boat aobut perfect for what I want, and using a SJ OEM bottom hull..

I think the SXR is a much more stable platform, but I have no personal experience on a light weight one..

From what I understand the New EME boats are pretty heavy.

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Malone's hull weighs in at 70lbs. His top deck does resemble a polaris just to comply with the ijsba rules . He told me that they started with a Kawi top and pretty much sculpted it into a Polaris .

Personally, I can't wait to try the new SJ bottom. :bigok::rolleyes:

Malone's hull weighs in at 70lbs. His top deck does resemble a polaris just to comply with the ijsba rules . He told me that they started with a Kawi top and pretty much sculpted it into a Polaris .

Personally, I can't wait to try the new SJ bottom. :bigok::rolleyes:

They sure got heavier when Him and Bobby split ways..... I was reffering to the total weight of the boat.... motor/pump ect.... ready to hit the water

AIRICCC

tubbies is/are the answer
My comment about the copper tubing was not meant to criticize at all. I made the comment expecting to be told that I was wrong and copper tubing is better, it was something I struggled with on a build of my own and I used the aluminum tubing I suggested rather than copper (copper was about all I could find locally.)

Ive had more comments/suggestions about my sxr and superjet with things that probably could have been improved upon, so you are higher on my list than Kawi and Yamaha. :fing02:

I have nothing but respect for what you are doing with this ski.

Although, Ive got another question/comment. The material you used for the motor mount is aluminum I see. Is the aluminum just threaded or are there inserts in there? I hope its not just threaded aluminum because I would think that it would strip easily with such a heavy motor and such huge tricks being pulled off.

I would hate to see it become a problem, although it is fixable...

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Yeah thats what I was thinking as well,he seems to somehow be inferring that small glassed in inserts are stronger than a single glassed in piece of aluminum,I don't get it.:spank:

AIRICCC

tubbies is/are the answer
Its just a concern I had, this is merely for my own etification and maybe for others for take something away from it as well... I don't mention these things to criticize (like I said before)...

I'm not concerned that the aluminum bars will pull up, he will be running SS bolts into what looks to be 5/16" aluminum on one of the highest stress points on the ski... I would be concerned about the threads pulling out...

Anyone else think this is a valid concern?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Nope,not really, unless he used bronze bars I don't see how it would get much stronger and even then thats questionable.

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
the aluminium plate works great and I never had any issues with pulling out or stripping , unless they were not tapped properly of course. Also, some aluminiums are softer than others, you just gotta to make sure you use a good t6 type.

i'm pretty sure the mounts would rip before these would pull out, I was very particular when tapping all my inserts. Every one of them has room to go bigger and almost all the inserts are paired together to reduce the chance of them ever spinning.

Last edited:
Turfing is done, it took over 8 hours for Chad and I to do this. Since the tray had extra room, we turfed in some subtle lifters in front and behind the footholds to see if they'll be helpful for riding out of the footholds. Side panels are one piece no seams. Nice think underpadding on the tray, in the footholds and shaped into a kick tail, tray is damn cushy. I broke a foot a few years ago, and prefer really soft turfing.

Attachments

• octaneturf 008.jpg
    octaneturf 008.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 157
  • octaneturf 009.jpg
    octaneturf 009.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 122
  • octaneturf 010.jpg
    octaneturf 010.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 94
  • octaneturf 011.jpg
    octaneturf 011.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 147
  • octaneturf 012.jpg
    octaneturf 012.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
more pics, assembly starts tomorrow. I'm still waiting on some texilium, but I can install the pump, poles and lots of other odds and ends.

Attachments

• octaneturf 013.jpg
    octaneturf 013.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 71
  • octaneturf 014.jpg
    octaneturf 014.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 77
  • octaneturf 015.jpg
    octaneturf 015.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 102
  • octaneturf 016.jpg
    octaneturf 016.jpg