B-pipe cooling, routing water lines

wademcgee

Middle aged toy maker!!!
A new Diagram that hopefully helps someone

Ok, I am by no means an expert but I spoke with Paul Lehr this weekend while redoing my water lines and this is a diagram I tossed together that summed up what he suggested. I only posted because I highly respect his advice and it was slightly different that what I was running and his explanation cleared up all my questions. Here it is and hope it helps some of you guys that were as confused as I was.

Attachments

• Dual Cooling Diagram xh20.jpg
    Dual Cooling Diagram xh20.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 796
'the rear cylinder does the most work'??? Come again?

according to Group K the rear cylinder gets hotter than the front because of crank torsioning which causes the timing to get advanced and run hotter...this is why B2 motor was the first twin with 2 degrees retarded timing and lower compression ratio (rear cyl) to deal with rear cyl heat problems....again according to their research...

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
according to Group K the rear cylinder gets hotter than the front because of crank torsioning which causes the timing to get advanced and run hotter...this is why B2 motor was the first twin with 2 degrees retarded timing and lower compression ratio (rear cyl) to deal with rear cyl heat problems....again according to their research...

That was due to the B2 being a fairly wet hull with a lot of drag, and it's a sitdown, so it runs at wot a lot.

Not an issue on a standup IMO.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
The rear is going to have more load than the front due to the simple fact that is where the driveline hooks up to the motor. The Raiders have the same issues, rear cylinder seizures.

wademcgee

Middle aged toy maker!!!
Once again I'm not a Jetski guru, but I am an a pretty mechanical guy. When I take my Raytek and infared temp the cylinders the rear is always hotter...

It a clostest to the drive and carries the brunt of initial torque...period.

Once again trying to help the regular folks.

These other drawings sucked... Mine sucks too, just not as bad.

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
This is how I am currently running my and it seems to work ok so far but I haven't experimented with any other configurations as of yet. So I figured I would come to the "X" to see is there is anything in particular that is problematic with the way I currently have my cooling lines routed. Please feel free to share your thoughts as this is my first build.

Attachments

• b-pipe-cooling-jpeg.JPG
    b-pipe-cooling-jpeg.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 613

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
This is how I am currently running my and it seems to work ok so far but I haven't experimented with any other configurations as of yet. So I figured I would come to the "X" to see is there is anything in particular that is problematic with the way I currently have my cooling lines routed. Please feel free to share your thoughts as this is my first build.

That is the most standard way of all cooling routing in the industry, carried over from the Kawasaki setups.

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
Thanks...I guess since this is the most standard way in the industry and seems to be working well for me so far, I'll just keep it this way.

Endo

Non-tree hugger
I see some run cooling in the bottom of the pipe and out the top where as others (fp recommendations) run top to bottom. Always wondered why the difference? Mine is set up running in the bottom and I know my screws are barely open to dry the pipe out any.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I run it in the bottom because it will completely fill the headpipe with water and when you shut the engine off, it will drain out the pump instead into the headpipe/chamber. It also makes for cleaner waterline routing IMO.

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
SuperJETT - Mine look pretty darn clean with the way I have my cooling lines routed. I'll post some pics up soon of the completed build.

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
Kahuna - It is difficult to make out how the lines are routed from that image. Do you have a diagram you can share with us?

freestylegeek

waiting...
Can someone explain to my why I don't get the best power out of the 'standard' set up, but get GREAT performance out of my set-up (parallel)? I would think that the wamer water guys would run a parallel set up like mine since you can cool the pipe with LESS (dryer) cold water.

Attachments

• parallel b-pipe-cooling-jpeg.JPG
    parallel b-pipe-cooling-jpeg.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 442

accbr

addicted
Can someone explain to my why I don't get the best power out of the 'standard' set up, but get GREAT performance out of my set-up (parallel)? I would think that the wamer water guys would run a parallel set up like mine since you can cool the pipe with LESS (dryer) cold water.

That's the exact same way I have mine setup. I never could get the pipe tuned right when I ran both lines through the exhaust manifold first. It was either too wet or too dry. Plus, it's easier to figure out which lines is plugged if you suck something in them. I have a LPW top end, and asked him about it a couple years ago when I set it up. He said that would work too.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter

Almost exactly how mine runs.
I don't tee my head outlets together.

Top Bottom