Ballistic Batteries Warranty

I got excited and charged mine at 3A, the battery can take it, the power supply cannot. POOF! there goes the magic smoke. Only charge at 2A with the ballistic charger.

My second ballistic 12 cell I bought has something loose inside and now one of the cells may have gone bad after only a few rides. The second cell will charge faster than the others even on a balance charger (I use my RC charger for lipo/lifepo4 packs, a much better unit) and when riding will discharge faster and result in a low voltage on that cell after only one 2gal tank (MSD Total Loss).

I'm working on making my own pack by wiring these up 2 of these in parallel and running them into a quick connector.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...mAh_4S2P_30C_LiFePo4_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

Last edited:
I got excited and charged mine at 3A, the battery can take it, the power supply cannot. POOF! there goes the magic smoke. Only charge at 2A with the ballistic charger.

My second ballistic 12 cell I bought has something loose inside and now one of the cells may have gone bad after only a few rides. The second cell will charge faster than the others even on a balance charger (I use my RC charger for lipo/lifepo4 packs, a much better unit) and when riding will discharge faster and result in a low voltage on that cell after only one 2gal tank (MSD Total Loss).

I'm working on making my own pack by wiring these up 2 of these in parallel and running them into a quick connector.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...mAh_4S2P_30C_LiFePo4_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html
The loose thing inside is a broken cell, get that battery warranted

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
Honestly, it just looks like the top of the battery (black part) is glued to the bottom (red part). Could probably just cut along that line and open'er up. it's prolly what they do when they get the batteries.

18deaff6-3378-2b80.jpg
18deaff6-3382-fb87.jpg
18deaff6-338f-344b.jpg
18deaff6-339e-40cc.jpg

I can see why they break, the cells are barely attached to the copper plate. Nothing too fancy in there, but don't plan on reusing the case if you disassemble.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
Thanks for the pics. I'm pretty sure I could solder thos way better than them using the tac soldered copper plates. I remember making my own NIMH battery packs. Good times. Not sure how heat tollerant these cells are though.

I'm sure the right type of glue could seal that back real easy. Hell I'd just dap on some epoxy and call it good honestly. maybe run some 5200 along the seem. Yeah buddy.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Awesome pics! It looks like it wouldn't be hard at all to improve on the durability of the pack. Kind of a cheesy way to hook up the cells, that's for sure. But I'm sure it's a way to keep costs down. Got what they paid for though!

jMike - thanks for going through the effort of opening a Ballistic battery! That is the first pic I've seen of one opened up, I assumed they were just a bunch of the A123 26650 cells, essentially one could make their own ballistic 16 cell batterys for $130, or 12 cell for under $100 given the simplistic setup that they use. I've seen plenty of people create a waterproof battery for other uses by taking a small wet cell battery that is "dead" and opening it up, draining it, and repacking it with these cells. The balance charger connection is simple as well - simple terminal from eBay, but if your going to go through the trouble of making your own, I would at least buy a quality IP67/68 rated 5 prong female panel mount micro connection so you don't need to worry about water intrusion as much as you do with Ballistic's cheap connection method...

BTW for anyone that's trying to get the balance charger for a better deal - Imax just rebrands this model (which is also rebranded) from china.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imax-B6-LiP...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41620a1f20

I bought and have used the exact same model and have been using it without fail for 2 years now - charging my custom made li-po packs, SLA batterys, and now my cell phone's battery since the USB port failed out-of-warranty. I've done 3A charges on my li-po packs regularly without fail. $30 vs $75+S&H, you decide! ;)

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
[h=3]Ballistic’s 3 Year Warranty[/h]Ballistic Performance Components Batteries are made in Plymouth, Wisconsin. Ballistic Performance Components Batteries are shipped charged and ready to install. Because our battery rocks, we offer an industry leading 3 YEAR WARRANTY subject to the following:

1. Ballistic's warranty does not cover use of its product in the following ways or under the following conditions - hard short of the terminals, damage from immersion in liquid, physical damage to the product, wiring the batteries in series or parallel to other cells or batteries, charging the battery with more than fourteen point six volts, connecting the products to a defective electrical system, using the batteries in a total-loss system, trying to juggle the batteries or other unreasonable behavior
  2. Ballistic is not liable for consequential damages to person or property
  3. Ballistic is not liable for relationships that deteriorate because you fall in love with the battery
  4. Because the battery is very light, Ballistic is not liable for papers that blow away when the battery is used as a paper-weight
  5. Ballistic is not liable for damage to the battery that results from someone trying to damage the battery
  6. Ballistic is not liable to people who are jealous because you have a better battery and they know it
  7. All warranty claims are handled by Ballistic Performance Components directly by really nice people whom your friends and family would enjoy meeting, especially over a nice meal... (hint, hint).
  8. Warranties are non-transferable and for the original owner only. Returns will only be accepted from the original owner.
  9. Ballistic reserves the right to stop sending new batteries to people who keep using the battery in ways that break the battery
  10. Ballistic will pay for shipping within the US and Canada of the replacement battery and the shipping of the replaced battery.
  11. Ballistic appreciates you purchasing our products and wants to make your experience with our battery and our company positive, memorable, spectacular and fulfilling

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Ya, but it says here in the instruction manual:

"....They are compatible with your vehicle's charging system and can be used in a "total loss" application...."

Sure, that's not a warranty card, but is right on the instruction manual.

Top Bottom