Hardly any B1's in Daytona?

seatsR4toilets

Just spell my name right
I was I think 27-28 years old when the Blaster came out in 1993. I had already been racing superjets for I think three seasons, and one of my racing buddies got one of the first Blasters released to the public in the U.S.
I rode it. I hated it. BO-RING.

Then, I got older.
And older.
And realized that the SJ and the FX-1 were just becoming too hard to ride in surf for a guy in his mid-forties for the entire day.
So, I took another look at the Blaster. And I started working with it, changing things, adding things. And I realized that I could ride for more than a few hours a day and still have alot of fun. I went from thinking my days of surf riding were over (on a stand up), to actually having a rennisance (spelling) of sorts in my riding. I'm actually enjoying riding now just as much out in the surf as I did when I was 24-25, enen though the jumps may not be as high, or the subs as deep.
When you get closer to 50 than 40, I pretty much guarantee you'll look at the Blaster differently than you do now in your 20's & 30's.
Take it from a guy who HATED the Blaster and laughed at guys who rode them.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
I was I think 27-28 years old when the Blaster came out in 1993. I had already been racing superjets for I think three seasons, and one of my racing buddies got one of the first Blasters released to the public in the U.S.
I rode it. I hated it. BO-RING.

Then, I got older.
And older.
And realized that the SJ and the FX-1 were just becoming too hard to ride in surf for a guy in his mid-forties for the entire day.
So, I took another look at the Blaster. And I started working with it, changing things, adding things. And I realized that I could ride for more than a few hours a day and still have alot of fun. I went from thinking my days of surf riding were over (on a stand up), to actually having a rennisance (spelling) of sorts in my riding. I'm actually enjoying riding now just as much out in the surf as I did when I was 24-25, enen though the jumps may not be as high, or the subs as deep.
When you get closer to 50 than 40, I pretty much guarantee you'll look at the Blaster differently than you do now in your 20's & 30's.
Take it from a guy who HATED the Blaster and laughed at guys who rode them.
I'm 51 and still don't like it, I"ll be standing till the end.....and I ride all day long.

i'll agree with the idea that as long as you are having fun, and helping others do the same, it's cool. what is super g@y in my mind, is ppl talking all kinds of stuff because they wanna look like they are better than someone else.....

for example, you go to your local spot and there are maybe 1/3 the blasters as standups on a given day. about a handful of guys going the biggest by far happen to be on blasters, and one or two on standups. that bunch laughs, gives props, whatever the whole time they are out there. as you cruise your blaster in, you see a bunch of suited up/ready for war-geared stand up riders heading out. as you give a simple "whats up" head nod and duck to the side to give them all the room in the world, and not one person acknowledges you as they rip back and forth in front of you pretty much cutting you/your line off.....

the funniest part is that those tarts that act like that are 99.9% of the time the same dudes out there cruising around on their knees watching everyone else. so here's my point after all this long post crap - do your thing, respect people who are trying to do their thing, and have fun. there's no need to act like the man while you cruise in a straight line out to the surf when you are only going out there to take to your true position on your knees :beerchug:

but then again, if there aren't people like this anymore, then there won't be as many things to laugh at while you're on the beach. so thank you tools for good laughs (i guess you can make other people happy after all). unfortunately, i'm still bummed that blasters could possibly be a dying breed :eek:uch:

stuntbikemike

Time to ride
i understand that a Sj is easier to handle.....its lighter and easy to ride...i can see why most people don't like B1....it takes a real man to ride a B1 properly

tshank123

Yo hablo ingles
I dont care what you ride as long as you have fun. But just FYI seats, we ride with a guy at our cove named Byron who is 76 years young. He buoys an SXR and schools the hell out of most of us youngins.

If you dont like Blasters why are you browsing the forum:question:

Blasters are fun skis and they arent going away even if you think they are couches...:moon:

lol Some people get carried away with this to make it a debate on whats better.I think what they are really trying to say is,in the surf,certainly not racing or flat water flounderin,but in the surf,the natural progression always leads to the sj. If youve got hundreds of rides in the surf you prolly started on a b1 but your now on a sj.if you dont have hundreds of surf rides your prolly still on a b1.Ive seen it dozens of times in our group and other surf riding groups,unless you crazy as hizzle like zimmy,then you occasionally go back and throw backies on a b1 because you can..........lol They are both fun skis to ride.

seatsR4toilets

Just spell my name right
I dont care what you ride as long as you have fun. But just FYI seats, we ride with a guy at our cove named Byron who is 76 years young. He buoys an SXR and schools the hell out of most of us youngins.

I'm talking surf. And he's not the norm.

I've had plenty (and I do mean plenty) of stand ups in my day. Rode nothing but stand ups for longer than most guys on this forum will even stay in the sport casually. I still ride a stand up. Just not near as much as I used to.
My point, I guess, is that as you get a little older, it sure is nice to have more than one ski in your quiver, and it sure is nice to have smokin' B1 as one of them.

agreed, its all about what you can afford to have. i doubt people would unload blasters as much as they do if they had the money to simply add another ski to the collection...obviously, i'm partial to blasters, but that doesnt mean i dont like stand ups. believe it or not, i started with a standup, and sold it to get my first blaster (i'm now on my 3rd B1). if i rode at a lake or a "waveless area", i think i'd definitely have a standup instead. the beach is for me, and the blaster is my ski - and i'm still sticking to the fact that around here, i've never seen anyone come close to going as big as anyone does on a blaster. then again, all i (and most of the ppl i ride with) really care about is bombing waves to go as high as possible and do a super long drawn out something, not seeing who can do the fastest, tightest tricks off the smallest wave. after all, that takes too much time and practice :bad3:

Last edited:

butti

lone wolf
my favorite thing to do in the surf is ride waves. the rest is fun as hell too but riding waves is the part that i daydream about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom