Super Jet My 1st Superjet

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I had a very frustrating day yesterday. I couldn't get my pop off right. Turns out the 2 brand new SBT rebuild kits were junk. Put the OEM O-rings back in and problems solved. See http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/133143-Leaking-carb for details.

Ski is almost done. I had to clearance the stock air box for the head. I think I did a pretty good job. I'm running 2 screens per side. 3 stock, JM said 1, but I just didn't feel that comfortable with only 1.

DSC02280.jpg

Anyone looking to clearance the airbox, there is actually a nice line on the inside of the box you can follow. Didn't know about it until I was done, but it did make it easier to clean up my cut. See the picture. Hope it helps.

DSC02282.jpg

Here she is in all of her glory. Just need to hook up the cooling lines, splice the bilge back in, and put the battery back.

DSC02283.jpg

Lastly, anyone know where these 2 bolts go? I can't figure it out. I;ve changed a lot of things so they may just be from the stock stuff and I don't need them anymore. They were with the motor mounts so I'm guessing they go in the motor/coupler region. They do not go to the stock temp sensor or the stock ignition. Those bolts are accounted for.

DSC02278.jpg

Edit: New jetting specs provided by JM. 135 Main, 75 pilot. Pop off stock at 53. JM said to run 1 screen but I am running 2. I feel safer about potential backfire w/ 2.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
On carbs. Only use oem parts. Been there and done that. Not even jets. Oem only

Yup. Learned my lesson. N&S came from the same dealer so likely SBT too. Going to have to let them ride for now. B-pipe/head jets came from JM. Not sure who they are made by.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Well, I was coming down to the wire. Everything looked good. I hooked up the battery and it sparked. Blew the fuse. I'm sure something is not right with the electronics box. I'm sure it has something to do with the used enhancer or how I hooked it up. I don't think I have time to work on it before we go to the lake tomorrow, so it looks like she's going to be sitting as is until I get back from the honeymoon. I'll have to figure out what's wrong in about 2 weeks.

Maybe because I left the heat sensor plugged in but not hooked to something? Maybe has to be grounded? Maybe ignition is bad? Not sure...

I'll swap the stock ignition back in if I get time tonight but right now it doesn't look like there's time for that.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Well, I was coming down to the wire. Everything looked good. I hooked up the battery and it sparked. Blew the fuse. I'm sure something is not right with the electronics box. I'm sure it has something to do with the used enhancer or how I hooked it up. I don't think I have time to work on it before we go to the lake tomorrow, so it looks like she's going to be sitting as is until I get back from the honeymoon. I'll have to figure out what's wrong in about 2 weeks.

Maybe because I left the heat sensor plugged in but not hooked to something? Maybe has to be grounded? Maybe ignition is bad? Not sure...

I'll swap the stock ignition back in if I get time tonight but right now it doesn't look like there's time for that.

Haha. Problem solved. I'm a jackass. Hooked the battery up backwards.

Family is in town and I have been rushing to get my ski back together inbetween all the other activities that are going on. Came down to the last minute since I have come up short on a few items (like gaskets and the MSD jumper wire). Big thanks to Jetmaniac for his speedy and quality service. He has been on the ball getting things to me fast. Ski sounds great and will be at the lake tomorrow for tuning.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The ski has been to the lake twice now. The jets were right but I had to back the screws out some. It's rideable now, but I still have a lot of fine tuning to do. I have held the ski WOT for short periods and it is much much faster than it was. I need to do some more plug tests and pipe temp checks before I feel comfortable racing it again. I don't have any adjustment in my pipe, top and mid are plugged, bottom is wide open, and jetworks valve to the stinger is wide open, so I hope the pipe doesn't get too hot.

It's pretty snappy on the bottom. Nothing like oh my god but way more than stock. Pops off the waves like it's 50 lbs lighter and gets going pretty good. I am very happy with the power curve. I was afraid it would be an on/off pipe thing, but it's not. I can just ride it off pipe with smooth power delivery and it wont transition onto the pipe unless I give it more throttle. The power curve is like stock, which I really wanted to keep, it's just a lot more power everywhere, with a power band in the midrange. I know most of the freeriders would disagree, but I like it.

One strange thing is that I have a klunk or thud when I hit the throttle. It doesn't happen if I transition the throttle. however, when I just snap or blip the throttle right off idle, I can feel a klunk. I don't know if this is normal for my set up, normal for my lightened flywheel, or a proping issue. I don't have any cavitation.

I had riveted my pole together with aluminum rivets and no glue. Mistake. I attempted a 180 and sheered all the rivets in half. Scratched my hood, cracked my bracket a little more than it already was. I took it to get welded but they were not able to. It's back together with marine tex as a glue and aluminum rivets. I'd like to try to find some stainless rivets. I'm going to start saving money for a pole.

Lastly, today before I went to the lake, I wrapped my nose piece. My pole came out with a lot of stretch marks and wrinkles (my 1st time with vinyl). The nose piece has a few tiny air bubbles but the 3d-carbon look hides them, and this time I was able to do it with no stretch marks, tears or wrinkles. It came out very nice I think. You can judge for yourself.

DSC02286.jpg

Oh, lastly, the B-pipe is much lighter than the stock pipe. The lean to the right sucks. I hate it. I don't want to get ride of my Deka battery so my options are limited. I want to see if I can somehow move the extinguisher to the left side of the hull.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
48 on GPS today.

Edit: still a lot of tuning to do but it's not blowing up so I'll fine tune it later. That's kind of my tuning motto. If it's not going to blow up, tune it later, lets ride. Not much interested in trading a throttle for a wrench. I do have the tach I was going to put on my X2 so I just need to mount it on my Superjet for testing/tuning.

Anyway, It's running great. Not perfect because it needs to be dialed in, but very enjoyable atm.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
What tach u gonna use

Hardline. I put it on the ski today and it seemed to work okay. I didn't spend much time messing with things today. I need to get the low speed screws dialed in and will probably due it on thursday.

I'm a little concerned about heat atm. It doesn't take but a few minutes around the track to put off some serious heat. My head, head pipe and chamber all steam water off. They do not sizzle or boil, just steam. The 3 stainless bolts that hold the pipe to the manifold boil water off fast and hard, especially the one closest to the motor. I'm not sure this is too hot, but I am a bit concerned. I want to retain my stock siphon bilge so I haven't switched over to dual cooling but I may have to. Right now I am running single cooling out of one AM pisser. The thing moves a lot of water (AM pissers have much bigger holes than stock) but I'm not sure if it is enough. I'd hate to burn up my motor.

I also have a slight sizzle and puffs of smoke when I start the ski, but I think this is just hose clamp connections. I put the old hoses from my X2 on the SJ and I think they are not sealing all the way. As soon as water is going through the system, the noises stop and the exhaust goes away. I have to keep a close eye on it, as my chamber is old, and my welds could be getting pin holes. Pretty sure I just need new hoses. Sounds like it's coming from the T.

Anyway, thursday I need to see about getting my low speed screws and idle set right. My ski is idling at about 1300 RPM and wont run below that. It bounces around +/- 50-100 RPM. I'm sure it's pretty close, it doesn't hesitate or bog.

Last edited:
Top Bottom