B-pipe cooling, routing water lines

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Frosty,

a motor can be run to cool.

aslo,

the more pressure in the cooling line the more water will squirt out of the head pipe adjusters.

Frosty

New York Crew
WaveDemon said:
Frosty,

a motor can be run to cool.

aslo,

the more pressure in the cooling line the more water will squirt out of the head pipe adjusters.

Thanks bro.

I am using all 6mm pissers and the only restricter I have in place is a mikuni main jet in the stinger line. Do you think it would be better to go down to 4mm pissers? water temp for me is 40 - 75 depending on time of year.

F

Freestyleriverrat

TXJFrosty said:
Thanks for that... that helps me allot. So, by that rationale, with my set up I am running a very cool system :cool2:... however, does that mean I am also sacrificing some performance by running too cool?

Depends on what your temperatures are? I use a thermometer to measure the temp comming out of the fittings. I think Jett said 120 is what the cylinders should be at but I don't know exactly. I have heard you can lock a motor up just as easily by over cooling, much like you can by over heating. The more dialed in your boat the more performance you can get. The more ideal the conditions in motor for efficient opperation the better performance. I would not look for huge gains though....maybe more consistant performance.

F

Freestyleriverrat

WaveDemon said:

You can adjust them if you want.............also the more pressure the more rpm=the more hot exhaust gasses

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Freestyleriverrat said:
Single line = 6-7.75mm id (mine measures 7.75mm id)

Restrictors (mm) for #.0

3.5 (2) + 2 + 1 = 10mm of flow + psi loss through pinn holes in head pipe

10mm > 7.75mm supply -> lower system psi
**10mm can flow 129% what a 7.75mm line can supply

FP system reccomendations a 4mm res on bypass w/ single line system

4mm + whatever stinger is 6mm(**)? > 7.75mm -> flow on exhaust side of system
**= 10mm, so a restrictor on the stinger might help keep a little pressure in the system to operate the water injectors in the head pipe. A simple 3mm restrictor after the FCV on the stinger plus the 4mm pisser would flow 90.3% what a a 7.75mm line can supply. 51.6% of that is bypasses through the pisser while the other 38.7% can go to the stinger. Leaving 9.7% for injector function.

For the dual circuit cylinder side line (7.75mm) a 6mm pisser can flow 77.4% what that line can supply.

#.0 Water goes the path of least resistance so more should flow to the cylinder side of your set up, which is fine.........you don't want the exhaust too cool. From the temps you listed sounds like yours is working just fine.

**I think all setups work it is just a matter of tuning them according to system setup/psi. I think I am looking at things way to analytically now :banghead: I apologize :smile: I'm pulling the fugures out of my arse.....but they are based only on diameter of the lines and restrictor size.
The way I came up with different restrictor sizes on my one supply line system was by testing on a flat lake at different speeds for many weeks in 85° water. I used digital temperature gauges on the three bypass fittings with a built-in, maximum memory alarm feature and an infrared pyrometer to measure the exhaust chamber temperature. Two probes were mounted via a plastic T-fitting at the bypass fitting to measure the front and rear cylinder head temperatures. One probe was to measure the water temperature coming out of the head pipe going to the stinger and out the pisser. The front and rear cylinder head temperatures were about the same (around 117-128°) with the front cylinder always about 2-3° warmer. On a one-mile, full throttle run, the temperatures would never go above 127° on the front and 125° on the rear. The head pipe water temperature had a maximum of 155° coming out of the pisser, during long WOT runs only. After long WOT runs, the exhaust chamber temperatures measured around 250° when stopping to check it with the infrared pyrometer.

I used various sizes of restrictors in the pissers, head pissers, and stinger inlet during the testing and found this setup to work the best for me. At one point, I had the cylinder temps. up to 136° and found the engine to have very good low-end grunt, but lost almost 300 rpm in the top end. It seemed like the hotter the head chamber water temps. got, the more power it would produce throughout the entire rpm until the point of burning my skin from the water coming out of the pisser being the limit. My water screws seemed to work with the best setup as a half turn on the bottom screw, with the top and middle screws closed, and 1mm restrictor in the stinger inlet keeping the water box dry.

This is all something you have to find out by testing your setup to see what's best. A half turn on the top screw has a completely different effect if you have dual cooling, single cooling, 3 bypasses, 1 bypass, huge pump nozzle, stock pump nozzle, etc. All of those things (plus more) effect the water pressure in the head pipe and that affects how much water is injected, plus little things like how much carbon buildup there is in the head pipe at the injection hole.

People want cut and dry answers on tuning, but tuning is a lot of testing on the setup you have to see what does and doesn't work.

Reactions: 37
F

Freestyleriverrat

Awsome #.0. That is some great information. Nice job! Where were you 3 pages ago :biggrin:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Freestyleriverrat said:
Awsome #.0. That is some great information. Nice job! Where were you 3 pages ago :biggrin:
:haha:
Better late than never I guess, I’ve been busy building my new engine.

Attachments

• Picture 094.jpg
    Picture 094.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 547
  • Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 459
  • Picture 097.jpg
    Picture 097.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 666
F

Freestyleriverrat

Clean!! :biggthumpup: Nothing beats the look of a new b-pipe. Awesome

#ZERO

Beach Bum
I probably install the engine this weekend, but I’m still waiting for pipe and waterbox to come back from the ceramic coating shop.

If I have any engine shims left over I’ll let you know.

michael950

for me to POOP on!
In conclusion:

Cooling Systems - All of our kits include cooling system modifications of one sort or another. The following is our in-house terminology for the different types of cooling systems.

"Controlled" System" - This refers to a cooling system whose total volume ability is controlled to a less than maximum flow capability. Our only Super Jet kit that uses a controlled system is the IJSBA stock kit.

Bypassed System - This refers to a system that maintains the stock cold-water inlet to the engine, yet has additional water outlets on the cylinder head for added cooling. This system is employed in all our pump gas Sleeper and Hammer kits.

Split System - This refers to a splitting of the water coming in from the single water input line. The cold incoming water is split to allow separate feeds to the top-end and the pipe. The intended advantage is to provide a smaller amount of cold water to the pipe, so that a larger amount of cold water can be processed through the top end (via bypass outlets overboard). This is most popular on recreational engine arrangements using an aftermarket pipe, where the owner wants to avoid the hassles of installing a second cold water input line.

Dual Waterline System - This refers to a system that has two cold water input lines from the pump to the exhaust manifold. There are a wide array of outlet/bypass options on this system. Dual Cooling can be employed on any racing engine platform (except IJSBA stock). The greatest advantage to this layout is that there is a backup water inlet system in the case of a blockage entering an input line.

Parallel System
- This refers to a dual water line input, where the top-end and exhaust system are treated as two separate and parallel systems. This layout (used primarily by racers) allows the use of numerous bypass outlets on the cylinder head without affecting water pressure into the exhaust system. This setup offers the best in tunability, however a blockage in either input line will bring the machine to a stop (whether by a burnt pipe coupler or a burnt piston). This arrangement also requires separate flush fitting for each system.

The above information is from the Group K website.

michael950

for me to POOP on!
Can we complicate this and discuss headpipe adjustment?

If I recall correctly, know most people do not follow the FPP recommendations. What is the recommended settings on the headerpipe?

T-bone

brraap....thats so 2002
riverratt, how is the water gettting to the top of your head pipe to go to the stinger?

hangtime

Speak up ,don't kiss azz
michael950 said:
Can we complicate this and discuss headpipe adjustment?

If I recall correctly, know most people do not follow the FPP recommendations. What is the recommended settings on the headerpipe?

bottom 2 screws closed and top one open 1 3/4 turns .check to make sure it is clear periodically as they do clog up a bit

Superjeff

maumee river rat
Still need a little help after reading all the cooling posts twice

well I have figured out my dual cooling system and the picture is attached but I was wondering If I could just attach a flush kit off an old gpr with a t on the main hose or would u guys not do that?? if I do that will the t cause some water to go back out intake while flushing?? will this affect pressurized tuned system???

Attachments

• cooling.jpg
    cooling.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 674

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
well I have figured out my dual cooling system and the picture is attached but I was wondering If I could just attach a flush kit off an old gpr with a t on the main hose or would u guys not do that?? if I do that will the t cause some water to go back out intake while flushing?? will this affect pressurized tuned system???
that flush will work and yes some water will go out the pump and not through the motor. Back flushing is better though. The pic you attached looks like single cooling not double.

Top Bottom