First Stand-Up/Superjet

E350

Site Supporter
I have only put Hydroturf down once and it was the product with the adhesive already on the back under a peel off sheet. IMHO, if you are using that, IMHO you should not sand at all. It will stick best to a clean shiny surface. But you can call Hydroturf about it. And I would like to hear what others say about this.

Your hood hooks are bent. What condition is your hood seal in? Did the hood line up when you pulled it apart?

I'll replace these and see how it ends up then, and the hood seal is a brand new Blowsion that was just installed that same day. The hood didn't have the hooks attached when I purchased this hull so unfortunately that's one of the things I'll never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only put Hydroturf down once and it was the product with the adhesive already on the back under a peel off sheet. IMHO, if you are using that, IMHO you should not sand at all. It will stick best to a clean shiny surface. But you can call Hydroturf about it. And I would like to hear what others say about this.

I asked on the Hydroturf FAQ thread on this site and two other members said it'd be best to sand the new paint before applying. I just bought the sheets that need to be glued on so it makes sense, it just sucks lol.

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
I've tried both ways, if I flip them over the hood doesn't even come close to closing.

Yeah then someone drilled the holes in the wrong spot. Your hooks are clearly on upside down. You can buy adjustable hooks through vendors on here. But if it's that off you're not gonna adjust it out.

Yeah then someone drilled the holes in the wrong spot. Your hooks are clearly on upside down. You can buy adjustable hooks through vendors on here. But if it's that off you're not gonna adjust it out.

It's not that far off, in post #55 that's with the hood fully latched, the right side hook on the hull just needs to be moved forward about a 1/4 inch. I'm going to order the cold fusion hooks and prongs and that'll give me more than enough room to get it just right. The hooks on the hood being upside doesn't bother me unless there's some kind of structural disadvantage there.

E350

Site Supporter
FYI, looking at the 1999 manual I linked above, I am not sure that is the correct hood for your hull. Again take a look at page 2-3.

But we have a '94 SN not a 2001 RN. But your hood looks suspiciously similar to ours... And doesn't look like the one depicted on page 2-3 of the 1999 manual.

FYI, looking at the 1999 manual I linked above, I am not sure that is the correct hood for your hull. Again take a look at page 2-3.

But we have a '94 SN not a 2001 RN. But your hood looks suspiciously similar to ours... And doesn't look like the one depicted on page 2-3 of the 1999 manual.

This hood is an aftermarket lowered hood, the stock ones are a lot taller. So it's a possibility the hood isn't perfectly square,either way aftermarket hardware will get me situated. Thanks for the link to the manual by the way, I'll save that for future references.

E350

Site Supporter
Yes, but the stock hood does not have the side extensions like yours does. Will water get up under those and into the engine compartment?

Speaking of which, you may want to post up some pictures of the INSIDE of your hood. Does it have tubes which connect the top air vents towards the bottom of the engine compartment? Those tubes are important to keep water out. Kinda like when you hold a glass upside down in the water and the water does not flow up into the glass. There are some really smart people here that will catch stuff if you post pictures. And you don't want to fill up your engine compartment the first outing. (Like I did because I ignored my wife's question "Is this how the hood should connect?")

That link was to the 1999 Owner's Manual

BTW, the oem Yamaha Service Manual for your year Superjet is, in my opinion, a must buy. I have really found the oem Yamaha Service Manual for our '94 SN SJ to be very, very, very helpful. I don't see one on ebay for your 2001 model year right now. But snag it in the paper format when you see it come up.

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
It's not that far off, in post #55 that's with the hood fully latched, the right side hook on the hull just needs to be moved forward about a 1/4 inch. I'm going to order the cold fusion hooks and prongs and that'll give me more than enough room to get it just right. The hooks on the hood being upside doesn't bother me unless there's some kind of structural disadvantage there.

They will grind into the hull the way you have them. You see how they are shaped? Flip them upside down and take a look, again, you have them upside down....

Yes, but the stock hood does not have the side extensions like yours does. Will water get up under those and into the engine compartment?

Speaking of which, you may want to post up some pictures of the INSIDE of your hood. Does it have tubes which connect the top air vents towards the bottom of the engine compartment? Those tubes are important to keep water out. Kinda like when you hold a glass upside down in the water and the water does not flow up into the glass. There are some really smart people here that will catch stuff if you post pictures. And you don't want to fill up your engine compartment the first outing. (Like I did because I ignored my wife's question "Is this how the hood should connect?")

That link was to the 1999 Owner's Manual

BTW, the oem Yamaha Service Manual for your year Superjet is, in my opinion, a must buy. I have really found the oem Yamaha Service Manual for our '94 SN SJ to be very, very, very helpful. I don't see one on ebay for your 2001 model year right now. But snag it in the paper format when you see it come up.

That's just the top half of the hood, underneath sits perfectly on the hood seal so there should be any leaks.

There's no tubes coming out of the bottom of the hood but there are 2 holes. I'll have to look into this more as what you're saying makes perfect sense but I'll be honest I've never seen tubes coming out of the the bottom of anyone's hood, unless maybe I wasn't paying attention.

I'll also keep an eye out for a service manual, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have that around, as long as I can find one, although they should be pretty similar for all round noses, at least in my opinion.

They will grind into the hull the way you have them. You see how they are shaped? Flip them upside down and take a look, again, you have them upside down....

There's no doubt that they're upside down, I'll have to double check and make sure they're not touching the hull I don't think they were though. I haven't been home since Friday so I haven't been able to check it out. Regardless I won't be riding the ski for a while and I'll definitely get some aftermarket hood hooks and prongs before I take it out for the first time. Thanks for pointing that out by the way.

E350

Site Supporter
The air tubes in your stock hood are depicted on pages 2-10 and 4-8 in your Owner's Manual, linked above.

An engine is basically an air pump. Air is pumped in from the carburetor and pumped out through the exhaust.

When you have a watercraft that is subject to immersion, the designer must assure that the air entry ports will not take on water when the ski flips or the nose subs. Traditionally there is a fairly complex plenum in the top of the hood for taking in and distributing air with out it entering your engine compartment. That is why oem hoods are taller.

Kawasaki and Yamaha do it with tubes like those depicted in your Owner's Manual.

Rickter apparently does it by using tubular handlebar poles which provide the air intake at the top of the pole. Brilliant! I can wait to see one in person!

From what I can see, your aftermarket hood does neither. So post up a picture of the inside of the hood.

I am new to this sport but very interested in hull design. The hood design is of lesser interest to me, but if you are going to reinvent the wheel with your aftermarket hood, you better get up to speed on air intake design or start your journey with an oem hood (my suggestion).

I could be wrong. So I am very interested to hear what others have to say...

Last edited:
The air tubes in your stock hood are depicted on page 2-10 in your Owner's Manual, linked above.

An engine is basically an air pump. Air is pumped in from the carburetor and pumped out through the exhaust.

When you have a watercraft that is subject to immersion, the designer must assure that the air entry ports will not take on water when the ski flips or the nose subs. Traditionally there is a fairly complex plenum in the top of the hood for taking in and distributing air with out it entering your engine compartment. That is why oem hoods are taller.

Kawasaki and Yamaha do it with tubes like those depicted in your Owner's Manual.

Rickter apparently does it by using tubular handlebar poles which provide the air intake at the top of the pole. Brilliant! I can wait to see one in person!

From what I can see, your aftermarket hood does neither. So post up a picture of the inside of the hood.

I am new to this sport but very interested in hull design. The hood design is of lesser interest to me, but if you are going to reinvent the wheel with your aftermarket hood, you better get up to speed on air intake design or start your journey with an oem hood (my suggestion).

I could be wrong. So I am very interested to hear what others have to say...

Hmm... I'll take some pictures when I get home from work. I'm not sure if it's the same system you're talking about with Rickter but I do have tubes going into the hull from the handle pole.

I'm assuming whoever designed this hood took all of that into consideration but you never know these days.

Alright finally got home to take some pictures, the prongs are not rubbing on the hull luckily but again it's all being replaced next pay check .
b0709068af6330519df5994333e16fab.jpg

Next here's a picture of the underside of the hood.
74cea3d9b6d4734eef7e081abe9e69fa.jpg

And I found this gem for a deal I couldn't refuse. I was looking for 61x cylinders to put on my 62t cases and this whole running ski was cheaper than it would've been to buy used cylinders. I did feel bad taking apart a Vxr Pro especially since it ran amazingly well. But needless to say I have most of what I need to put my motor together. I'll see what the cylinders look like on the 61x if I can get away with just honing them that's all I'll do to avoid having to get new pistons, I will be porting the cylinders out myself with one of the DIY porting templates from here.
e8b66ae12e62820413b0f07e940259ab.jpg

That's it for today, tomorrow I'll either wet sand and buff some of the orange peel out, lay the hydro turf, or just take a day off and go fishing.

Also with the hydro turf I'm doing the sides of the tray in lime green and the bottom of the tray and side rails in black. I cant decide if I want the chin pad to be black or green. What are your guys' thoughts?

It looks like it, the previous owner wasn't sure on the brand though he thought maybe it was an xmetal(now xscream). I know this one is carbon fiber in some areas as you can see it through the holes on the top of the hood, but I don't think it's full carbon fiber. I know it's an older hood which doesn't help much either. There's no marking anywhere that I can see on this one. I'm thinking at best it's a knock off or an early production possibly?

Top Bottom