HELP¡¡¡¡ DASA 16 mm

wsuwrhr

Purveyor of the Biggest Brapp
Under normal circumstances I would just pick up the phone and call as I did with ATSAaron when he had problems.

Problem is he speaks no english that I am aware of, he bought the motor from a dealer, so I dont have his number to call him if I had a translator.

Brian

We found out that the problem was that the piston had too much clearance, making the piston hit the upper and lower rim of its body, and in doing so, on the downstroke, the piston ring would jam on the exhaust port.

wsuwrhr

What crashed the original first set of pistons ??? Not clearance I would think.

Valves in upside down? I don't know yet.

I am still trying to get that ironed out. Like I said, it isn't like I can pick up the phone and call.

Unless we are talking about a huge number, I am not convinced that too much clearance caused the problem.

Brian

Last edited:
looking at that first pic of the broken pistons, it looks like the arrow is facing the intake side assuming that its the edge of the fuel tank I can see in the far left of the pic.

I think Matt's right the pistons are simply in the wrong way round, the arrow on the top must face the exhaust ports.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I don't think there are any arrows on top of those pistons. I believe the tops are machined.

wsuwrhr

looking at that first pic of the broken pistons, it looks like the arrow is facing the intake side assuming that its the edge of the fuel tank I can see in the far left of the pic.

I think Matt's right the pistons are simply in the wrong way round, the arrow on the top must face the exhaust ports.

I don't think there are any arrows on top of those pistons. I believe the tops are machined.

Exactly,

If the pistons were backwards I don't think it wouldn't even run. I am pretty sure the way the skirts are machined it would freeport the exhaust.

Brian

the pistons where in the right position, no arrows on the top, but the ring lock are facing to the intake side. We are not stupid, is the first DASA engine we assambly but not the first Racing engine we build. Kyle should know if the ring lands are in the exhaust port, he should know because he built this engine, and the replacement pistons where exactly the same as the first set. The same machined, same size same wiseco part # 636M08950.
Tell Kyle the piston goes down 5mm the end of thr exhaust port.
Thanks for all your help, but be sure that the engine was assambled in the right way.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Goes 5mm below the exhaust port at bdc?
Wow something is seriously wrong there.
Like its a non stroker cylinder on a stroker crank

Do I read it right that you are using a 140MM vein section and a 144MM impeller housing? Is this right?

Kyle says our 16MM engines we are using a 155MM pump setup with a 13.5/19.5 impeller, your nozzle should be fine the way it is.

Brian

meucarango.... I have this 155 setup above in a new scat mag with the same prop listed for sale,I cant imagine running a 16 mill on a 140 mag pump is helping you put the power to the water very well,140s do well in pretty good size motors,but thats a stretch at that cc

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
NJFL runs a 140mm mag with a near 1000cc motor.
As does Sportfish, if I am not mistaken.

Not to knock Art he is the man,but most those guys are his cronies and they were built to suit it,some bad arse 140 mag skis out there,crammits as well.A 8 mill is a long way from 16 though,Malone,lenzi and bogart all from diff camps run larger than 145 pumps for freestyle though,almost anything can be made to work but whats best?Im guessing thats what the op is in it for with that motor,and I just happen to have the same mag pump and prop the guy who built the motor is saying to run with it....

There are some positive things about going to a bigger than 140 mm mag pump.
1. it brings down the price of the used 140 mm pumps out there.
2. it stimulates the economy by buying new 145 or however big you can stuff in there mag pump.

Maybe it is more impressive if you can get a top running superjet using 140 mm mag pump over the bigger ones. I know it is definitely cheaper buying used.

I just might be in the market for a used 140 mm for Blaster build soon. Lets see how low they will get.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Not to knock Art he is the man,but most those guys are his cronies and they were built to suit it,some bad arse 140 mag skis out there,crammits as well.A 8 mill is a long way from 16 though,Malone,lenzi and bogart all from diff camps run larger than 145 pumps for freestyle though,almost anything can be made to work but whats best?Im guessing thats what the op is in it for with that motor,and I just happen to have the same mag pump and prop the guy who built the motor is saying to run with it....

True, but Malone, Lenzi and Bogey are not part of "MOST". They fall into the Select Few.

NJFL and Crammit are only 2 people out of 1700 members here. Not sure how you are deriving "Most" are Art's cronies.

Tricky does not run anything of Art's. He does his own port work.

Top Bottom