Kennay's 760 powered Squarenose total rebuild

750SX

DO IT
yep, mine didn't have any residue on it, and I wiped it down with acetone as well. Oh well, It is what it is. The carbon fiber will cover it up!

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
sanding

hey man, what's ur sanding technique for the hull (grits, wet vs. dry, and what mechanicals did u use). Looks to be a real good sand job in prep for painting.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
I used a crap ton of things. All dry.

With a Makita palm sander, I used 60 grit hook and loop

for the areas that were tough to get to, i used a few different style wire wheels on a fast strong drill

i used 60 grit hand sanding as well. Overall it was just a huge bitch, and it takes alot of time and patience. If I had to guess, I'd say I have at LEAST 15-20 SOLID hours into that tray. Probably more. That would include removing the old turf, cutting it out, digging out foam, and prepping it for glassing, and then actually layig down that glass. I am still not done with it.

It blows my mind how alot of people on this site don't prep what they are glassing for ********. It really make me wonder what they think their epoxy is sticking to, because it sure isn't nice clean fiberglass for the best bond.

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
So what If my bond line was already reinforced... and I already had a built and ported motor... PFftt Thats poppy cock stuff.

I had to do other stuff too.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Just an update.... not that anybody really cares, but I am currently working on the prep work for glassing on the engine compartment.

Can anyone comment on how I should reinforce the upper nose area? Should I turn it upside down, and fill it with foam, smooth it out, and then glass over that? There just seems to be so many damn grooves and hard as hell to reach ribs in there.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
u don't want to, but get that ski upside down. stick ur snout up in the nose of that beast and grind those mini-ribs off. Fill the bowline and any grooves with that mix of stuff MCDOG recommended (epoxy, cabosil, microballoons) and then slather up that glass. Lay it up mildly soggy (so it malleable) and then cut to fit as u stuff it in the nose.

or just say screw it and realize that if u plow that badboy into the ground a little reinforcement won't save the nose from splintering

Last edited:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
I physically can't do that. My arms are too long and my head is too big!. I've tried from about every angle possible to reach around up in there.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
You need to hang the ski upside down so you can get under/inside it comfortably. Check out pics in mine and crab's build threads.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Will do thanks! I ground the side ribs out in the front (4 per side), but I haven't gotten the ones right at under and in front of the pole bracket yet. Super pita! I'm also lowering the bracket area like Rick (Rickster) did.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Alright, so I hung the ski upside down, and have been getting it done slowly but surely. It's almost like someone painted the inside with a ********ty epoxy paint, or sprayed a thin crappy white gel coat in there. it's a bitch to sand through, but the dremel seems to love eating it up. I'd leave it there, but it's flaking in some sections.

My main concern now is glassing in that nose area. I don't care about weight on this ski, it is going to be my bang around surf boat/ rec boat. It will only on rare occasion see flatwater trick type stuff.

I have decided to do like Rickster, and lower the existing angled squarenose bracket area so that I can use anything a roundnose can use, brackets, ect... first I am planning on glassing the bracket flat, but after that, I need ideas on beefing up the surrounding areas. The areas in the pic shown covered by cardboard are areas I am planning on filling with foam and glassing over with 3-4layers of either 12oz or 17oz biax. If anyone has any idea for this area, please feel free to comment. I'm very flexible on how i am going to do this. I am sure there is a better way.

So far it's:
-Square up pole bracket mounting area (Flatten it)
-Foam around all in there
-lay glass over all that and hope it's strong enough :D

without anymore bs, here are the pics.

If you have feedback on the bracket mout area/ nose area, please let me know asap. As soon as the prep work is done, I am diving into it. I am on a mad dash to get this bitch done, and I've got a loooong ways to go. :)

The tray came from #.0, and it's freaking awesome.

Attachments

• build45.jpg
    build45.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 64
  • build46.jpg
    build46.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 58
  • build47.jpg
    build47.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 104
  • build48.jpg
    build48.jpg