My new Envy

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Dude, just tell them it is homebuilt and that you just bought the pieces of fiberglass or that you made the bottom and bought the top. Make sure you show them that you pulled the engine and electronics out of your old Superjet.

Yea I do everything through email and I just sent them a link to wdk and they thought I bought a complete running ski and had their minds made up.

I called Columbus and explained things a little better and he is coming tomorrow at 2.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
This is all the website says:
ODNR

Owners of homemade boats, watercraft without a HIN, and watercraft lacking a 12-character HIN, must contact a Watercraft office. An appointment with a watercraft officer may be necessary to inspect the boat and assign a HIN.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Yes. 4:30pm. I'll be filming...so get some rolls off a little closer to shore!

Frank (Blaster800), Rick, Me, Monkey, SurferSmurf and Matt...if his chit goes through tomorrow.

Our inland ocean is lookin pretty sweet ! ............................................................ Today
East winds 5 to 15 knots becoming northeast 10 to 20 knots. Partly sunny. A slight chance of rain showers this afternoon east half. Waves 1 to 3 feet building to 2 to 4 feet by early afternoon...and further building to 3 to 5 feet late. There is a moderate risk of rip currents today.
Tonight
East winds 10 to 20 knots. Cloudy. A chance of rain showers overnight. Waves 3 to 5 feet.

Man I hope this all goes smooth. I wanna rip!

I'm home all day after 1 if anyone needs to stop by and hang out before we ride.

7309 herman 44102.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Waves were amazing. Sorry you had problems, Vogi. Driveshaft? Was it still alligned correctly? (could've got knocked out of allignment somehow before you tightened it down?)

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
Awesome waves... never ridden in anything like that before.... now I know how the ocean guys feel.... I like flatwater, but that ride just made me want to move to the coast! Had a great time!

Matt- major props on the Envy man... what a clean ski! Not surprising that something needed tweeked... seems that's the way it always goes... at least for me anyways... hopefully its a fairly simple fix.

Yea the short and long shaft are the only parts left over from years ago.

I need another set of eyes to confirm that all of these splines are shot. I just can't tell but they look shot. No metal shavings anywhere.

ski4

gonzo
are you certain you can use your superjet shaft in there?
is an sxr shaft much longer than a superjet shaft?
see how much shaft comes through on your superjet hull then on the envy.
the spines were ok prior to the build. i can't see how they would just go bad on this maiden voyage.
and if there is no evidence of destruction now???????
im still thinking they are not fully engaged

are the flat surfaces of the spines still flat? or pointed?

Last edited:

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Yes he can.

Matt's motor is set wayyy back compared to mine. I am wondering if the pressure of having the it too tight stripped out the splines or if the motor was slightly out of allignment (shifted before it was tightened down.)

...then again, it could have allready been partially stripped and was just wedged together in the sj...and when he pulled it out, it finished it off.

Throw some pics up vogi.

Last edited:
I'm waitin on Brian to look at them too. Just need to verify.

I started the ski a couple times for a few seconds before everything was totally aligned a final torqued. If it was on the edge that would have done it.

The shafts are definitely OLD!

Oddly I am preying it is the shafts.At least that would be obvious and it would make me stop worrying about pump dynamics and chit.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I am sure that finished them off...(they were probably worn already.)

Pump dynamics are not the issue. People put bigger pumps in SXRs all the time (Superstock Racers)

It's gonna rip! Post an ad on here looking for what you need...you could have them in a day or two.

ski4

gonzo
Yes he can.

Matt's motor is set wayyy back compared to mine. I am wondering if the pressure of having the it too tight stripped out the splines or if the motor was slightly out of allignment (shifted before it was tightened down.)

...then again, it could have allready been partially stripped and was just wedged together in the sj...and when he pulled it out, it finished it off.

Throw some pics up vogi.

motor position has nothing to do with the long shaft length engaging the short shaft

if he truly just spun the splines there would be something in-the grease
it's not like a cast piston that will disintegrate and turn to powder
im not a metallurgist
but i would think there would be something of evidence

and bad splines are pretty easy to see. they are either gone, or rounded over. prior to going bad they usually get a nice v appearance

is your short shaft in the housing the proper depth?

just seems odd that with no load it would strip, unless your alignment was absurdly off prior to running it in the water

Last edited:
Top Bottom