SX/SXi/SXi Pro New Sxi Pro Owner

Thanks guys -

It was warm here in NJ so I got to re foam the holes and start the body work

My first go at body work so I need some advice and hints - Sand paper sequence - filler - primer suggestions PLEASE !!

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

Going to trim the foam tomorrow and apply some fiberglass over it

Trimmed the foam but too cold for fiberglass today

DSC00164.jpg

Did some more sanding today

DSC00161.jpg

Swapped the SXi prop into the donor jet pump

Scrubbed all the salt water deposits off the housing and pump vein

DSC00166.jpg

Reassembled and ready to go

DSC00167.jpg

^ Are you just scuffing the hull up and then painting or are you taking it all the way down to the fiberglass? I can tell you what Im doing currently but im taking my ski down to the fiberglass (im using an orbital sander/hand sanding) I started with 80 grit down to the fiberglass, then epoxy (this is the step im at right now), then im going to use 220 then some 400...cant remember exact 400 grit im using, then primer/wetsand with a fine grit, then paint...im sure there are other/better ways to do it maybe someone who is actually a painter can give you a better idea..

^ Are you just scuffing the hull up and then painting or are you taking it all the way down to the fiberglass? I can tell you what Im doing currently but im taking my ski down to the fiberglass (im using an orbital sander/hand sanding) I started with 80 grit down to the fiberglass, then epoxy (this is the step im at right now), then im going to use 220 then some 400...cant remember exact 400 grit im using, then primer/wetsand with a fine grit, then paint...im sure there are other/better ways to do it maybe someone who is actually a painter can give you a better idea..

I had some small shallow gouges in the hull and hood - I sanded them smooth and used a marine filler.

Learned the lesson of less is more very quickly - this stuff dries like iron. I need to buy an orbital the hand sander is not cutting it

Looking good so far, Keep it up!!!

Your gonna kick yourself soooo hard if your doing this all over next winter to put in holds :)

I know I know , I will personally let everyone here tell me "i told you so" next year.

If my skill level increases to foot hold status I may want to upgrade the ski.

Received my drain valve block off plate yesterday

DSC00168.jpg

Add this to the not going to reuse pile

DSC00171.jpg

Where is the RED Staples button

DSC00172.jpg

Put the newly painted motor bed back on

DSC00173.jpg

Mark44

Katie's Boss
All you needed to do was drill and tape the two holes 1/8" NPT and install two pipe plugs with teflon tape, no chance of leaking O-rings then.

All you needed to do was drill and tape the two holes 1/8" NPT and install two pipe plugs with teflon tape, no chance of leaking O-rings then.

Plate was cheap enough, but thanks for the future ! Does Kawi still use these on SXR's or did they stop?

IceRocket1286

Site Supporter

A real painter would tell you to scuff the gelcoat and paint it because gelcoat is a good base for paint. Taking it down to the glass is pointless and just makes for a lot more work.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Agreed don't take it to glass paint doesn't last long on a ski and you need the gelcoat protection. I would never paint a ski again lesson learned.

Mark44

Yes I am only sanding the damaged areas to make smooth, applying the marine filler than sanding. Once I am satisfied with the smoothness what type of primer should I use?

Also anyone know the socket size for the handpole main bolt. This thing is on super tight !

Maybe a friend will let him ride a Yamaha platorm ski then he will be glad he didn't spend money on footholds. Just a thought.

Mark44

I rode a friends yam and didnt learn, I still insist on pissing money away into my kawi. Im thick skulled though. I like being different lol

Agreed don't take it to glass paint doesn't last long on a ski and you need the gelcoat protection. I would never paint a ski again lesson learned.

Mark44

Agree there, I painted my lower hull black last winter, after one summer it is scuffed back to white on about 50% of it. It looked pretty on the trailer when I picked it up though :) I've always wondered how well a good base coat would hold up just putting a wrap over it.

Agree there, I painted my lower hull black last winter, after one summer it is scuffed back to white on about 50% of it. It looked pretty on the trailer when I picked it up though :) I've always wondered how well a good base coat would hold up just putting a wrap over it.

What kind of paint did you use and method ?

Top Bottom