Custom/Hybrid The BOB Hull & its recent changes

I think what DK is doing is good working with with folks more directly and taking the issues head on. I may be preaching to quire here but here are some things that I have noticed on my build, hopefully you can improve on them or others find this useful. But before reading understand I am one of those guys who is highly organized and likes to have all parts ready for a build. Then invite friends over and drink/stay up all night making the wrenching a fun time not a time to get frustrated...

- I think you guys should have included more information with the documentation you provided with the hull. I'm on the east coast and calling you guys every time I have a question just doesn't seem logical and more difficult with the time difference. Also, now that you guys are on your 3rd generation people are not buying directly from you and opening up that relationship. Can I still call you and bug you even though I didn't buy from you? I bought my BOB from a dealer in NJ. I think the Build a BOB videos are an excellent idea and you should expand on that!

- You should probably tell folks they are going to have to drill out all the holes themselves on the ski they just dropped 4K plus on. I have no issues with it but I can understand how this can be kinda nerve racking if you aren't used to building skis. Handle pole, bilge, e-box, pissers, etc. I also understand you probably do this for some folks before shipping, but you also probably charge them for it. I also understand people have different setups so you a providing more of a blank slate to work with.

- You say all parts swap over and they for the most part do, I understand at the end of the day this is still aftermarket and the occasional thing may need tweaking. Personally I had to grind my intake grate a little bit to fit. No big deal for me, but some one else might get a little upset over that when they just dropped an additional $225 for a new grate and have to take a grinder to it but I'm fine with that.

- Most people I have talked to run the x-metal waterbox ($240) so I bought one, but then I had to pay an additional $40 to get it re-welded to fit. Thanks for telling me that when I ordered but that should probably go in your documentation and on your site. Good thing I bought from you and not directly from x-metal. I would have been pissed if I did buy from them (one state away from me, faster/cheaper shipping) and it didn't fit.

- Who runs a stock pole on a BOB? So that part doesn't seem to swap over for most people.Nearly every picture I have seen has the BOB with a RRP pole, some x-metal, and a few AC poles. That being said RRP pole setups ($1500) are confusing to figure out since you have to buy everything separately. Seeing as most people run that on the BOB you could have included all the RRP parts you will need in your documentation. (or at least describe some various options). It's frustrating after dropping $1500 on the pole only to get the parts and have to wait a few more days, pay for extra shipping for something stupid like a $18 spring tensioner or $30 pole bolt.

- I was sold on the BOB's version of the RRP pole bracket but you didn't think to mention I might need the $20 gray breather tubes! The RRP pole bracket comes with the tubes. If your bracket doesn't come with them, you should know then that I will need the tubes! Frustrated again, pay for more shipping, waiting yet again on another $20 part before I can build.

If you aren't experienced with working on skis and/or aren't willing to do things like mentioned above or know the ins and outs of all the aftermarket parts you will end up paying more. Also, expect on having to buy even more additional aftermarket parts than you originally thought, not because some stuff wont swap, the hull just looks to smexy to put a stock exhaust in it. :) I probably spent the same amount on additional stuff as I did the hull. I'm not mad about it. I think my BOB looks way better with RRP pole and other parts. I'm only mad because even with all my reasearch I could never seem to order the right stuff...

I think when you advertise the BOB as "backflip on a budget" its is a tad misleading even though it is priced lower compared to others. It can be lower budget but you have to know your own personal limitations when it come times to build and what your setup is going to be. Becuase its advertised as a cheap alteranative I think some people go into it thinking they can spend the 4K and be good to go because parts swap over. A lot of aftermarket hulls have OEM parts that swap over. I think it's a little niave to go into this or an any aftermarket build thinking its not going to cost money more than you orginally expected.

So between all the bashing and hate on this site for the BOB I think there is some fault on both sides. What DK is doing to step up to the plate should be recognized as even more progression on something that is already awesome even with its flaws, and what we are doing as the members building them providing them feedback can only help it get better. Maybe since they have stepped up those members that bash on them can step up too and try and be more positive.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

vwking

Banned
This may be the best way to get yourself invited back ??? Wait before you post again there is still time to save you from being loaded onto the Douche bag canoe. I have been tossed onto that boat a couple of times and lucky I found my way back to shore. Still time turn it around and make good.

HAHAHAHA Wow reading that just made my day. A+++ buddy (shamwow):slap:

I think what DK is doing is good working with with folks more directly and taking the issues head on. I may be preaching to quire here but here are some things that I have noticed on my build, hopefully you can improve on them or others find this useful. But before reading understand I am one of those guys who is highly organized and likes to have all parts ready for a build. Then invite friends over and drink/stay up all night making the wrenching a fun time not a time to get frustrated...

- I think you guys should have included more information with the documentation you provided with the hull. I'm on the east coast and calling you guys every time I have a question just doesn't seem logical and more difficult with the time difference. Also, now that you guys are on your 3rd generation people are not buying directly from you and opening up that relationship. Can I still call you and bug you even though I didn't buy from you? I bought my BOB from a dealer in NJ. I think the Build a BOB videos are an excellent idea and you should expand on that!

- You should probably tell folks they are going to have to drill out all the holes themselves on the ski they just dropped 4K plus on. I have no issues with it but I can understand how this can be kinda nerve racking if you aren't used to building skis. Handle pole, bilge, e-box, pissers, etc. I also understand you probably do this for some folks before shipping, but you also probably charge them for it. I also understand people have different setups so you a providing more of a blank slate to work with.

- You say all parts swap over and they for the most part do, I understand at the end of the day this is still aftermarket and the occasional thing may need tweaking. Personally I had to grind my intake grate a little bit to fit. No big deal for me, but some one else might get a little upset over that when they just dropped an additional $225 for a new grate and have to take a grinder to it but I'm fine with that.

- Most people I have talked to run the x-metal waterbox ($240) so I bought one, but then I had to pay an additional $40 to get it re-welded to fit. Thanks for telling me that when I ordered but that should probably go in your documentation and on your site. Good thing I bought from you and not directly from x-metal. I would have been pissed if I did buy from them (one state away from me, faster/cheaper shipping) and it didn't fit.

- Who runs a stock pole on a BOB? So that part doesn't seem to swap over for most people.Nearly every picture I have seen has the BOB with a RRP pole, some x-metal, and a few AC poles. That being said RRP pole setups ($1500) are confusing to figure out since you have to buy everything separately. Seeing as most people run that on the BOB you could have included all the RRP parts you will need in your documentation. (or at least describe some various options). It's frustrating after dropping $1500 on the pole only to get the parts and have to wait a few more days, pay for extra shipping for something stupid like a $18 spring tensioner or $30 pole bolt.

- I was sold on the BOB's version of the RRP pole bracket but you didn't think to mention I might need the $20 gray breather tubes! The RRP pole bracket comes with the tubes. If your bracket doesn't come with them, you should know then that I will need the tubes! Frustrated again, pay for more shipping, waiting yet again on another $20 part before I can build.

If you aren't experienced with working on skis and/or aren't willing to do things like mentioned above or know the ins and outs of all the aftermarket parts you will end up paying more. Also, expect on having to buy even more additional aftermarket parts than you originally thought, not because some stuff wont swap, the hull just looks to smexy to put a stock exhaust in it. :) I probably spent the same amount on additional stuff as I did the hull. I'm not mad about it. I think my BOB looks way better with RRP pole and other parts. I'm only mad because even with all my reasearch I could never seem to order the right stuff...

I think when you advertise the BOB as "backflip on a budget" its is a tad misleading even though it is priced lower compared to others. It can be lower budget but you have to know your own personal limitations when it come times to build and what your setup is going to be. Becuase its advertised as a cheap alteranative I think some people go into it thinking they can spend the 4K and be good to go because parts swap over. A lot of aftermarket hulls have OEM parts that swap over. I think it's a little niave to go into this or an any aftermarket build thinking its not going to cost money more than you orginally expected.

So between all the bashing and hate on this site for the BOB I think there is some fault on both sides. What DK is doing to step up to the plate should be recognized as even more progression on something that is already awesome even with its flaws, and what we are doing as the members building them providing them feedback can only help it get better. Maybe since they have stepped up those members that bash on them can step up too and try and be more positive.

Sorry for the long post.

And do you think an other AM hull would be different. You will have those same problems.

Ya man it happens, I got lucky and had none of that. Only thing I had to do custom was extend the intake grate. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I have yet to see a aftermarket hull produced that was 100% perfect. Pull ur balls out of the purse and get that custom stuff done and start riding!!! (no hate intended in that comment)

Ya man it happens, I got lucky and had none of that. Only thing I had to do custom was extend the intake grate. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I have yet to see a aftermarket hull produced that was 100% perfect. Pull ur balls out of the purse and get that custom stuff done and start riding!!! (no hate intended in that comment)

lol most of my cutom stuff is done. just waiting on parts. :)

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
My sons BG2 adopted all of his parts from his SN. Everything went in nicely. RN pole, xmetal bracket, b-pipe, 650 motor etc. I didn't even help him much.. But we are both kind of mechanically inclined and have done some glass work, fabrication, as well as adapting stuff a bit. I've only had a couple aftermarket hulls, and the bob's go together very smooth in my opinion.

Cool to see positive criticism being offered.

Tommygunz

Team PHP
We have built a number of aftermarket skis including a Superfreak Badass and Circus, an EME Q8, and 4 Gen 2 Bobs and one Gen 3. Of all the builds the Bobs were a walk in the park! No matter what hull you buy there will always be little miscellaneous things that will pop up and need to be bought, ground, or adjusted. Welcome to the a/m hull world:)

-

Expanding on what you guys do and showing people how easy it is to install things and mount things helps alot of people that never thought that they could build skis. I believe that expanding your videos on how the stuff is done definitely would help buyers learn to build a little more if they have never done any building like this. Im on my first bob and still putting stuff together and so far everything has went well. But my hull was already setup and ran before i bought it by another owner. So i cant say much on that but I do like what you guys are doing. Also everytime i have ever called they have never had a problem explaining anything i need or any questions that i might have. dk has been a big help to me. and plan to buy from them in the future.

Seriously so if you dis Bob hulls now you get put in the douche canoe WTF?

I think having an opnion and expressing it is fine and well. If we were all here talking about how cool the color red is, it'd be pretty damn boring.

Fabricating lies to support your opinion is douche-baggery at it's finest.

I think that's how the conclusion was reached.

chadman154

#Itsonlymoney !!!!!
I watched my q8 sky be built. It had alot more issues going together than the bobs i saw built. It think it great that dk is stepping up and will be working to createa better product. I cant wait to try the new hulls. Keep your head up, dk!

Sorry for the long post.

My bob gen2 took 5 hours to build a straight swap from a sj and did'nt cost me a penny more than the parts i had?

so easy to do and exactly what was advertised
the instructions were pretty good too

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member

- I think you guys should have included more information with the documentation you provided with the hull. I'm on the east coast and calling you guys every time I have a question just doesn't seem logical and more difficult with the time difference. Also, now that you guys are on your 3rd generation people are not buying directly from you and opening up that relationship. Can I still call you and bug you even though I didn't buy from you? I bought my BOB from a dealer in NJ. I think the Build a BOB are an excellent idea and you should expand on that!

Sorry for the long post.

You should have messaged me. I would've been glad to help with advice. Someday you are coming down here to ride.

I will be glad to as soon as one small issue is addressed. According to DK they never saw my build thread and they came up with the whole BOB idea on their own, I don't believe in coincidence to much, check the name on the photo and the date, it tells a much different story. IMHO respect is earned, as far as I am concerned they have done nothing to earn mine !

Your a clown

What intake grate did you have to grind? The 228 fit in mine perfect and the xmetal box didnt have to be modified ether

Worx 228, nothing major just the sides had to be taken in a little bit to fit. I modded the waterbox because DK pm'd me after I placed an order on the ski clinic and asked if it was for a BOB. I said yes and he told me it needed that adjustment.

You should have messaged me. I would've been glad to help with advice. Someday you are coming down here to ride.

Thanks. I have been private messaging folks on here that have BOBs to get advice from people that are actually assembling themselves. Obviously a slower process than if I actually posted a public question on here but I felt like all I would get is hate and people bashing and not my questions answered. That mentality has really turned me away from coming to this site as much as I used to.

Top Bottom